Lincoln's Ad savaged by AdAge

Found on Jalopnik.com, linked to adage.com

http://adage.com/columns/article?article_id=111127

That's why this "anthem" won't sell any automobiles, or generate showroom traffic, or inspire anyone to do anything -- unless possibly to dismiss Lincoln as a pitiful throwback.

Posted a couple of days ago, but I didn't see it here. I thought the ad was a bit of lark, too conceptual and not enough product...but I didn't think it was terrible!

Scott

While I hate these kind of artsy fartsy commercials for cars. This one wasn't as bad as this guy says. Man, he's got an anger problem.

The worst I remember, was the early Infinity commercial where it just showed water flowing while some voice recited poetry or something. Man that was lame.

Not that commercials can't be art. Some recent ones that I really like: "Chocolate Cell Phone" Verizon, and most any Target commercial.

PS. This is just my opinion.

I saw the TV commercial and ads and they are boring and uninspiring. It left me with no sense of greatness at all about a Lincoln. The idots that think the lousy new ads will sell Lincolns are the same type people who think that the new MK naming scheme is going to help sales as well... Those people just need to be selling and marketing feminine hygiene products only. We need to get the real car people back in control.

Now if they had people working on the ads that did the great Mustang commercials that have been on then they would have been on to something. All I am left with an impression of is that Lincoln has no clear direction or image of what it really wants to be.... They just need to get back to the core product with historical relavence that people remember... Continentals and Marks... The Zephyr was a step in the right direction... Where is the other truly exciting products that ended up concept teasers and nothing else... I look back on the Continental and Mark concepts of recent years and wonder why they just didnt take a risk to see if it would have worked. Thank God though the Navicross concept never came to light.

Edited by Watchdevil

I have said it over and over again...Ford's marketing/advertising, SUCKS. It always has. Actually, Ford has the biggest budget of any other manufacturer for advertising, last I heard. And this is the CRAP they come up with?

I want to know about the VEHICLE...Tell me what it does, why is it different than it's competitors...show me the styling, the interior, etc. I dont give a flying F--K about peoples aspirations, some wet fantasy they had during childhood, some Xman lovin' "I wanna conquer the world" BS... I don't give a S--T about these made up IDIOTS! Show me the VEHICLE !!! Educate me.

Yes I agree, Americans are horrible consumers and uneducated citizens, so I understand having to lay these "dreams" out for them, but they also need to know about the product !!

It's funny... in personal ads some people show off their cars and material wealth to make them seem interesting. Lincoln is doing the opposite with their advertising... Putting people and aspirations in their ads to try to make a brand with a low self-esteem seem worth something...

It's funny... in personal ads some people show off their cars and material wealth to make them seem interesting. Lincoln is doing the opposite with their advertising... Putting people and aspirations in their ads to try to make a brand with a low self-esteem seem worth something...

Interesting insight!

The ad is almost a line for line copy of the "Bold Moves" spot that launched the Bold Moves campaign in April http://www.fordvehicles.com/features/commercials/

Naturally, future Lincoln ads will not be as long, nor will they be as devoid of product.

However, like the Mustang commercial with the father and son doing burnouts, the commercials will not revolve around the product, and will tell you very little about it.

If you want to know more about the product, use the internet. That's why Al Gore invented it. And that's how dang near every consumer between San Diego and Bangor finds out about cars.

Edited by RichardJensen