Ford Readying Ranger Based Everest SUV

unless SOMEHOW this has something to offer regarding the next Explorer, what happened to "global"??????

The Everest isn't that big...its MAYBE the same size as an Edge...there abouts. There is a decent market (outside of North America) for a smaller Truck and SUV vs whats in the States. The Explorer fills the fullsized CUV market quite well....this wouldn't

The Everest isn't that big...its MAYBE the same size as an Edge...there abouts. There is a decent market (outside of North America) for a smaller Truck and SUV vs whats in the States. The Explorer fills the fullsized CUV market quite well....this wouldn't

Everest is pretty close to Sport Trac in size.

And that attribute prototype Mule is a Frankenstine Ranger with a Territory back shoved on it so it can do much

of the field evaluation and reliability testing but the first prototypes will be built in the next few weeks.

A Ranger based Everest is a better fit with for parts and servicing for global markets than Explorer

can't say any more than that..... :)

Edited by jpd80

A Ranger based Everest is a better fit with for parts and servicing for global markets than Explorer

Exactly...its a good fit for a vehicle that actually needs off road capabilities.

can't say any more than that..... :)

Can we cut off two doors and make a Bronco off it ;)

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 2

unless SOMEHOW this has something to offer regarding the next Explorer, what happened to "global"??????

Because Ford knows that "the rest of the world" won't buy that oversized, bloated pig. Except in the Middle East oil countries.

And that attribute prototype Mule is a Frankenstine Ranger with a Territory back shoved on it so it can do much of the field evaluation and reliability testing but the first prototypes will be built in the next few weeks.

If that DOES happen, the project certainly is a GO !

A Ranger based Everest is a better fit with for parts and servicing for global markets than Explorer.

Exactly...its a good fit for a vehicle that actually needs off road capabilities.

I could not have said it better myself !!

Can we cut off two doors and make a Bronco off it ;)

We can only dream !

• Like 1

Because Ford knows that "the rest of the world" won't buy that oversized, bloated pig. Except in the Middle East oil countries.

Well the ROW seems to buy Audi Q7's and BMW X-5's and the giant Lexus and Infiniti and M-B SUV's as well as Chryco's export Grand Cherokee that are as big as "that oversized, bloated pig", so maybe there might be a market after all. :)

Well the ROW seems to buy Audi Q7's and BMW X-5's and the giant Lexus and Infiniti and M-B SUV's as well as Chryco's export Grand Cherokee that are as big as "that oversized, bloated pig", so maybe there might be a market after all. :)

So do the mini-review for me !
  • Interior volume, especially front/second and third (ha !) seat head, hip and leg room
  • Weight and hp/weight ratio
  • Body/frame stiffness
  • Front and rear approach angle
I suspect the models you listed are much more "off road capable" than the overweight Explorer (switching from BoF to unibody and they only saved 500 lbs) !! Edited by theoldwizard

So do the mini-review for me !

• Interior volume, especially front/second and third (ha !) seat head, hip and leg room
  • Weight and hp/weight ratio
  • Body/frame stiffness
  • Front and rear approach angle
I suspect the models you listed are much more "off road capable" than the overweight Explorer (switching from BoF to unibody and they only saved 500 lbs) !!

I have no intention of reviewing anything. You suspect that the models I listed are much more "off road capable" than the "overweight Explorer", and I suspect that they are not. (You might recall the sand-testing of the Explorer in North Africa?) Anyway, it appears that off-road capability for these larger SUV's is more important to you than the average big-barge SUV buyer. Considering how the Explorer grew in size, losing 500 lb or so while doing it is actually rather efficient. But for some, the donut hole is more important than the donut, for some the glass is half-empty, not half-full. You know who you are. :)

I must have completely missed the original announcement on the new Ford Everest. Looks like it will have very limited distribution (SE Asia, Iindia, Australia)

Ford Australia debuts Ranger-based Everest SUV concept - Autoblog Aug 13th 2013

The places you mention (except for Australia) is where the current Everest are sold - mainly Southeast Asia and India. The new one will be sold in a lot more places. China, Africa, Middle East, and South America are all on the list to get the new Everest, as well as Australia.

Ford will make the Everest in all the existing T6 Ranger assembly location so Thailand, South Africa, and Argentina will all produce the vehicle. In addition, Ford will produce the Everest with it's partner Jiangling in China.

Edited by bzcat

I have no intention of reviewing anything. You suspect that the models I listed are much more "off road capable" than the "overweight Explorer", and I suspect that they are not. (You might recall the sand-testing of the Explorer in North Africa?) Anyway, it appears that off-road capability for these larger SUV's is more important to you than the average big-barge SUV buyer. Considering how the Explorer grew in size, losing 500 lb or so while doing it is actually rather efficient. But for some, the donut hole is more important than the donut, for some the glass is half-empty, not half-full. You know who you are. :)

Donut hole indeed... LOL

Explorer is not engineered to sell in the kind of price range that Everest is selling and which it will be selling in new markets. That's pretty much the difference. Everest is a 7-seat SUV that Ford will be able to sell for about the same as Escape/Kuga in most places. It will compete with Toyota Fortuner, Mitsubishi Zinger, Chevy Trailblazer, Isuzu Mu-X etc.

Off-road ability is not really the point here. Most people, even those in developing countries, do not buy SUVs to go off-road. They buy it to shuttle their kids to school and enjoy the Upper Middle class status accorded to SUVs. I suspect Everest is not significantly more off-road capable than the Explorer in stock form, but it will be easier to modify it for off-road use due to its pickup truck roots.