Its official: the 2015 Focus is getting the Ecoboost 1.0

http://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/02/23/ford-reveals-sophisticated-new-focus.html World’s Best-Selling Nameplate Gets Even Better: Ford Reveals Sophisticated New Focus with 1.0-Liter EcoBoost
  • Redesigned Ford Focus delivers new exterior design, completely revised interior and advanced new technologies for improved customer comfort and safety
  • 1.0-liter EcoBoost® engine raises the competitive bar for fuel efficiency
  • New Focus will offer driver-assist technology including a standard rearview camera, along with available lane-keeping system and Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®)

The 2015 Ford Focus, the world’s best-selling nameplate, is expected to hold onto this coveted title with a bold new look that emulates other recent Ford vehicle designs and more advanced technologies that improve driver comfort and safety.

The new look and added technologies were revealed today at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, the world’s largest exhibition for the mobile industry.

“We have taken the title of world’s best-selling nameplate to impressive new heights with the redesigned Focus,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford executive vice president and president of The Americas. “Its combination of compelling, modern design and the most high-tech interior in the class will appeal to contemporary consumers who desire a small car with very sophisticated features. What makes Focus so attractive to consumers today – being great to drive, delivering exceptional fuel economy and value, and offering leading-edge in-car technologies – is amplified with the new Focus.”

Award-winning 1.0-liter EcoBoost

In addition to a host of styling and technological advances, the new Focus will offer the remarkably efficient, fun-to-drive, award-winning 1.0-liter EcoBoost® engine with a six-speed transmission – surpassing the fuel efficiency of the previous model, and once again raising the bar amongst the competition. Twice already, automotive journalists have named Ford’s 1.0-liter EcoBoost powerplant International Engine of the Year, for 2012 and 2013.

“The 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine is proof that excellent fuel economy and performance can come in one package,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, global product development. “Focus is already known for bringing together efficiency and fun, and our latest addition will bring consumers a whole new level of enjoyment – on the road and at the pump.”

The smallest engine in the company’s growing EcoBoost family will increase the choice for Ford customers in the United States, as Fiesta is already available with the 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine.

In Europe, where it is already on five nameplates, the 1.0-liter EcoBoost accounts for 32 percent of sales of the current-generation Focus and 26 percent of Fiesta sales this year. Robust demand for the 1.0-liter in Europe has prompted Ford to double production capacity at its state-of-the-art plant in Cologne, Germany, to more than 1,000 engines a day.

EcoBoost technology combines smaller-displacement engines with turbocharging, direct injection, variable valve timing and proprietary Ford software to bring customers outstanding performance and fuel economy. Ford EcoBoost engines can deliver significantly better fuel economy than larger-displacement gasoline engines.

• Like 1

1.0-liter EcoBoost® engine with a six-speed transmission –

Excellent, Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost has 5-speed manual, the odds just shortened on the 1.0 EB Focus

getting 45mpg as well and rivalling Cruze Diesel........As if that wasn't already part of the plan........

If 1.0 EB is a $1,000 option on SE, we could see a 45 mpg Focus for under $20K.

and if I'm not mistaken, that would be roughly $5K less than a diesel Cruze.

Edited by jpd80

Yes. The 2014 Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost is manual ONLY. Same as is speculated for the 2015 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost.

No one is saying the Focus will be manual only (in non-1.0 Ecoboost/ST trims).

My mistake. I didn't perceive Biker's post as specific to the Fiesta 1.0 EB only. And I was referring to the 1.0 EB Focus, specifically. (not non-1.0 Focii)

It wont sell because of the manual only. But that is not the point. This is a gimmick by Ford for advertising best in class blah blah blah. They have over reached and the I3 will be a slug in the Focus and they know it. I am ok with it in a Fiesta and its probably worth a hard look if you wanted one of them. Going to be interesting to see how they can charge more money for less power.

It wont sell because of the manual only. But that is not the point. This is a gimmick by Ford for advertising best in class blah blah blah. They have over reached and the I3 will be a slug in the Focus and they know it. I am ok with it in a Fiesta and its probably worth a hard look if you wanted one of them. Going to be interesting to see how they can charge more money for less power.

Already happening in Fiesta with a $995 upcharge. Not sure the charge will be that much in Focus.

but the difference is that the 1.0 EB Focus will cost a lot less than diesel Cruze even with a $1,000 up charge,

Auto version of 1.0 EB Fiesta is already developed and on sale in Europe and Asia, a logical natural progression

would be to extend that option to the Focus 1.0 EB....but will the US take it up.

Edited by jpd80

Perspective time: What is the power and mileage rating on the small Civic? I think $995 for the 1.0 seems a bit rich but I think it will pay for itself down the road. As previously mentioned, the automatic option is coming eventually. It is targeting drivers who want better mileage but no perceived hassle of say a hybrid or electric.

Perspective time: What is the power and mileage rating on the small Civic? I think $995 for the 1.0 seems a bit rich but I think it will pay for itself down the road. As previously mentioned, the automatic option is coming eventually. It is targeting drivers who want better mileage but no perceived hassle of say a hybrid or electric.

The thing is, for years upon years the more efficient, less powerful gasoline ICE has been cheaper than the uplevel engine. Why change that formula now? Ford may as well charge more for the 1.6EB than the 2.0EB in the Fusion, by their logic.

Also, the base Civic engine is rated at 143 HP and 30/39/33 mpg when mated to the CVT. The HF trim, which is their version of SFE with more aerodynamic bits and such, uses the same engine (minus 3 HP) and returns 29/41/(can't find combined) MPG with a 5AT.

The thing is, for years upon years the more efficient, less powerful gasoline ICE has been cheaper than the uplevel engine. Why change that formula now? Ford may as well charge more for the 1.6EB than the 2.0EB in the Fusion, by their logic.

Also, the base Civic engine is rated at 143 HP and 30/39/33 mpg when mated to the CVT. The HF trim, which is their version of SFE with more aerodynamic bits and such, uses the same engine (minus 3 HP) and returns 29/41/(can't find combined) MPG with a 5AT.

When you drive the 1.0 Ecoboost, it doesn't feel like a down market engine and for all intents and purposes,

replaces hybrids in compact and subcompact sedans so understandable that added efficiency costs money...

While some may be opposed to that concept, I'm sure that Ford is thinking a lot of buyers are open to it

Edited by jpd80

When you drive the 1.0 Ecoboost, it doesn't feel like a down market engine and for all intents and purposes,

replaces hybrids in compact and subcompact sedans so understandable that added efficiency costs money...

While some may be opposed to that concept, I'm sure that Ford is thinking a lot of buyers are open to it

In other markets, the 1.0EB is replacing the NA 1.6. I get that. However, there is no such replacement happening in the US where the least powerful engine is the NA 2.0. So, there's a good chance it's going to be viewed as a downgrade at an upgrade price here.

When you pay more for a hybrid (and, not to drag out another thread's argument, but a diesel also), you're also subsidizing the development and the complexity of the powerplant. There's no added complexity with an engine that's missing a cylinder (by default, there's less).

One more thing... reviews that I read, particularly from Autoblog, state that the 1.0EB uses premium (required) in Europe. Will that be the case here?

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Thanks for the numbers. I understand what you're saying hence the 'a bit rich' comment. FWIR, the EB10 in the Focus can make a good base engine (146 lb-ft overboost doesn't hurt)...oh crap brain-dump...ah forget it, I'm out.

If people won't pay the upcharge for the 1.0 EB, then Ford will change how they offer it. Only time will tell. But it's premature to call it a dumb idea before it has even gone on sale. The upcharges for EB engines have seemed to work in some cases in other segments. :shrug:

For consistency's sake, I also called it a dumb idea as it applied to the Taurus, Edge, and Explorer. Not the engine, just the pricing.

Regarding the bolded part, I don't mean to sound like Richard, but... sources?