Its official: the 2015 Focus is getting the Ecoboost 1.0

A USA Fiesta 1.0 EB owners dyno results

1.0L Ecoboost Dyno Results

Completely stock.

87 octane. (~1,500 miles / Feb 19th 2014)

148whp / 150ft-lbs

91 octane. (~800 miles / Jan 10th 2014)

146whp / 139ft-lbs

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/fiesta-1-0l-ecoboost/42028-1-0l-ecoboost-dyno-results.html

So HP is only down about 12 points, and torque is spot on. But I'm sure with a flatter torque curve.

Once they get out the new 9 speed transmission, I think this 1.0EB will be a beautiful fit for the Focus.

So HP is only down about 12 points, and torque is spot on. But I'm sure with a flatter torque curve.

Once they get out the new 9 speed transmission, I think this 1.0EB will be a beautiful fit for the Focus.

It's a good fit now. My 2000 with the SPI engine didn't have anything close to the 1.0 for horsepower or torque and I had no problems with it.

Ford USA media website specs for the Fiesta SE 1.0 EcoBoost

is officially SAE-certified at 123 horsepower and 125 lb.-ft. of torque, it features an overboost function that allows it to make more than 145 lb.-ft. for up to 15 seconds.

I need 38 more HP to move 400 more lbs? Um, yeah.

Well, the racing rule of thumb is that 100lbs. of weight is worth about 10hp, so, all else being equal, yeah, that's about right. Of course, all things aren't equal, so maybe not...

ETA: Oops, got the numbers reversed initially.

Edited by SoonerLS

I need 38 more HP to move 400 more lbs? Um, yeah.

If I didn't only have 101k in my current Focus I would order a 1.0 tomorrow.

Depends. Is the engine in boost making that much more power?

Which reminds me... that person who put his Fiesta on the dyno and recorded 148 hp? Based on that result, I have two suspicions:

1) Ford underrated the HP at 123 (not a bad thing), or

2) the driver has a tune.

OR, the overboost function could increase the HP output also (Ford never specifies that), which would give me nothing to suspect.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Personally, I look at the torque numbers more than the HP. I was always told HP is for getting up to speed quickly. Torque is what keeps you going.

I personally feel the 1.0EB will have enough HP to get up to speed for me. With the torque being roughly equal to the 2.0, it should stay moving well.

The reason I mentioned the 9 speed trans in the earlier post is because I think that would be the icing that will give the Focus some nice real world fuel economy numbers.

Personally, I look at the torque numbers more than the HP. I was always told HP is for getting up to speed quickly. Torque is what keeps you going.

It's the opposite. Torque gets you off the line and HP is top end. Think of high torque, low hp diesel trucks. Great for pulling stumps or getting a big load moving but not good for top speed. Conversely, a Honda S2000 has a lot of hp but very little torque so it's slow off the line but fast once it gets to speed.

It's the other way around--hp gets you top speed, but torque is what gets you there.

ETA: Damned onscreen keyboard. That was an unfortunate typo...

Edited by SoonerLS

Ford USA media website specs for the Fiesta SE 1.0 EcoBoost

is officially SAE-certified at 123 horsepower and 125 lb.-ft. of torque, it features an overboost function that allows it to make more than 145 lb.-ft. for up to 15 seconds.

Pretty sure that Transient Overboost lasts 30 seconds, not 15 seconds.

Interesting as I see some of the European reviewers are quoting 30 seconds - maybe Octane plays a part...

In any case, a 15 seconds of Overboost from rest would see the car well beyond 60 mph....

• 2 weeks later...

Intresting, as a person who is in the market for a Fiesta 1.0 I learned things about myself from this thread I did not before.

1. I'm not a car guy

2. I only care about color of said car

3. I only want high MPG's

4. I can't drive a manual

5. I don't care about HP

6. I don't care about performance

I stopped keeping track after that. Would have thought this thread would have had people in it who are in touch with who Ford is trying to reach with this engine. Not just "what they think"

Glad you guys aren't in the marketing department. :doh:

• Like 2