Ford teases 2015 Mustang GT-350 engine

My guess is that Ford was doing durability testing on a supercharged Coyote for production car use which is basically what the article is saying. Speculating that it is intended for a new GT350 is just someone's guess but it does exactly what was intended - attract attention. Ford racing has offered a supercharger kit for Coyote powered Mustangs for a few years now. Shelby and others have also used those kits on their high end packages including, ironically, the Shelby GT350 that went out of production at the end of 2013. However, that doesn't mean it was up to Ford's own production car durability standards. Most of those kits were bolted onto engines that were not designed to handle large amounts of boost. I expect Ford wants to make sure the engine internals are up to the task what with powertrain warranties and all.

The 2003-2004 "Terminator" Cobras were factory supercharged 4.6L Modular V8s. The 2007-2014 GT500s were also supercharged from the factory. The 2nd generation Lightning was also supercharged, if I recall correctly.

Ford GT as well. And of course long before any of those was the Thunderbird S/C.

It doesn't make sense that SVT and Ford Racing would work on totally separate supercharged 5.0L applications. And if they were doing a SC 5.0L for a GT350 or other OEM mustang application wouldn't it make sense to also offer it as a crate engine?

I'm not challenging this specific photo - just the idea that SVT and Ford Racing can't develop anything together or work on the same stuff.

It would be pretty unprecedented for Ford Racing to develop anything for OEM application.

And most of the internet rumor has been pointing towards GT350 not being supercharged. So that "stangtv.com" article is full of pretty far off rumors. Surely they understand the role Ford Racing plays in the Ford performance world? I mean that is a website dedicated to a Ford performance car...

As to your last point, SVT and Ford Racing can work together... and they probably do. But the lead-follow relationship is pretty clear - SVT develops something for Ford Racing is possible. Ford Racing develops something for SVT is impossible. It HAS to be that way because OEM applications have much more stringent internal durability guidelines and regulatory oversight/hurdles. There is just no possible way that Ford will allow Ford Racing to develop something that SVT or any other part of the Ford will use in an OEM application. Ford Racing doesn't have the right expertise to do that.

Edited by bzcat

There is just no possible way that Ford will allow Ford Racing to develop something that SVT or any other part of the Ford will use in an OEM application.

That makes no sense to me. I understand the durability differences but surely there are some parts that are interchangeable (suspension, shocks, etc.?)

I also don't understand the pushback - you're acting like it's heresy to suggest that Ford Racing has anything to do with SVT or vice versa. I don't get it.

Edited by akirby

That makes no sense to me. I understand the durability differences but surely there are some parts that are interchangeable (suspension, shocks, etc.?)

I also don't understand the pushback - you're acting like it's heresy to suggest that Ford Racing has anything to do with SVT or vice versa. I don't get it.

I'm just pointing out the ridiculous notion that Ford will allow its aftermarket parts division to lead an OEM engine development. You may not be aware of the difference but the people who published this garbage article from that website certain did and this is the worst kind of clickbait journalism that plague the internet. In an otherwise mundane article about update to (an existing) Mustang GT 5.0 supercharger kit for Ford Racing parts catalog, this website threw in a single sentence containing the words "GT350" to draw traffic. That's called a clickbait.

I hope you learn something new in this thread about what Ford Racing does.

I'm just pointing out the ridiculous notion that Ford will allow its aftermarket parts division to lead an OEM engine development. You may not be aware of the difference but the people who published this garbage article from that website certain did and this is the worst kind of clickbait journalism that plague the internet. In an otherwise mundane article about update to (an existing) Mustang GT 5.0 supercharger kit for Ford Racing parts catalog, this website threw in a single sentence containing the words "GT350" to draw traffic. That's called a clickbait.

I hope you learn something new in this thread about what Ford Racing does.

If you had paid more attention you would see that I wasn't specifically talking about THIS engine or THIS article at all - I was talking in general terms and your insistence that it was simply not possible for Ford Racing and SVT to share anything or even be mentioned in the same sentence.

• Like 1

Am I the only one hoping that the GT350 is the name of the 50th anniversary car that was spied a few days ago (the white coupe) and that the SVT model will have another name?

Um No that photo is just most likely the 50th anniversary appearance package...

The 50th anniversary model is going to be on the 2014 platform not the 2015 platform - at least that's what Ford said a few months ago.

The spy shots of the 2015 Mustang with prominent "50" badges on the side seem to contradict this.

Didn't one of the recent articles indicate that Ford was hinting releasing the 50th anniversary edition at the Chicago Auto Show? Seems a more appropriate place for the new model, not to show a current one.

My guess is the anniversary edition will show up on the new one.

Didn't one of the recent articles indicate that Ford was hinting releasing the 50th anniversary edition at the Chicago Auto Show? Seems a more appropriate place for the new model, not to show a current one.

Next Chicago Autoshow is 2/2015. Isn't that a little late?

So is the gt350 replacing the gt500 or just being added to the line up? Light weight n/a gt350 would make sense if there's still a huge power gt500 available... If not seems like the gt350 should have more than the 450 or so the 5.0 can crank out n/a..

I've also heard rumors that a GT350 might use a N/A version of the GT500 5.8l.