Ditch Sony as being a "Premier" audio option

alpinedaddy

Ford needs to get rid of Sony as a premium option. Sony quality is among the lowest in the industry. I've been installing and engineering car audio for 15 years. I wouldn't use Sony in my worst enemies car... I was a product expert at Alpine in Torrance, CA for years and their product is far superior. Not saying they should go with Alpine but anything but Sony.

As far as some people asking for HID's. It's not that expensive if done from the factory(large numbers). The Titanium should come with them in the technology package. The Volvo S60 that is in the same price point comes with them.

Just my thoughts.

:)

• Like 1

Doesn't matter if it's Sony or something else - they're all built to Ford specs anyway. This isn't an off the shelf Sony head unit or amp.

In the past Ford has used Clarion, Pioneer and many others. My Sony system sounds as good as any of my previous audiophile systems.

Won't come close to a custom or high end system but it doesn't cost as much either.

Doesn't matter if it's Sony or something else - they're all built to Ford specs anyway. This isn't an off the shelf Sony head unit or amp.

In the past Ford has used Clarion, Pioneer and many others. My Sony system sounds as good as any of my previous audiophile systems.

Won't come close to a custom or high end system but it doesn't cost as much either.

I do agree for the most part.years back when I was at Alpine we worked on a mercedes that we got the contract on. It turned out to be the best i have ever heard (factory). But system like that one would push the titanium non-hybrid to over $40k.

Im just bummed that it is Sony!

I do agree for the most part.years back when I was at Alpine we worked on a mercedes that we got the contract on. It turned out to be the best i have ever heard (factory). But system like that one would push the titanium non-hybrid to over $40k.

Im just bummed that it is Sony!

Considering I just had a Sony LCD TV that went belly up after 4 years with no extended warranty, I would agree with that.

At home I have Denon and PSB speakers. Love them.

At home I have Denon and PSB speakers. Love them.

Hey! Me too! I hadn't heard of PSB until i went to the same local audio shop that I got my remote starter. I have hearing issues. After listening to all of the speakers, the PSB center channel was the best of the bunch. I think I paid more for that single speaker than any of the other speakers or sub. Hearing voices was my top priority since I have hearing loss in that range.

In my dedicated home theater I have the Image T5 Towers (5.25" drivers) and C5 center plus 2 300 watt 12 inch subs. Plus 2 S5 bipole surrounds and 2 cheap infinity in-wall rear surrounds. All tied to a Denon AVR-2303 AV receiver.

Works great, sounds great.

Do you also use Harmony remotes?

I have a smaller system in the family room with Alpha B1 bookshelfs, C1 center, boston acoustics small sub and surrounds and a small Denon AV receiver ($350 - forgot the model). But it still does everything the big one does and sounds way better than any of the HTIB or bose type cube systems.

What I like best about the Denon receivers is the HDMI feature that allows the receiver to directly connect an input like a DirecTV receiver to the TV when the receiver is off (standby). This means I can leave the Denon off and use the DirecTV receiver and tv as if they were directly connected with just the DirecTV remote. Makes it easier for non-techies without a harmony remote.

I have the C5 Center, B4 surrounds out back. Sub Series 5i and T45 Towers. I bought mine in 2012, so the models have changed a bit probably.

I'm running a Denon AVR-1912. I have a Tivo box from my cable company.

I only run the one room. So one remote is usually enough. When I'm on my PC, I sometimes stream music to the Denon around the corner and use a Denon app on my phone to control it.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had the Sony system in my last truck and it was a waste of time. The sound system would be my biggest complaint with all the F150s, I didn't find much difference between my Dads base system and my "premium" sony system.

The price you pay for the "premium" system, you can put together a better aftermarket system.

My aunt has a VW beetle and it has a Fender sound system, it sounds amazing.

Ah......Bose. Better sound through marketing.

Really all these premium sound system brands in cars are marketing, aren't they? Surely Fender doesn't make stereos for VW, right? The Sony in my Edge, the Reveal in your MkX, and the base stereos in both are likely largely the same, aren't they? Sony didn't actually make the stereo in my Edge for instance, right? I've always assumed that they're made by the same supplier, vary only as much as Ford and/or the partner deem worthy of thier premium status (more, or better, speakers, different DSP, etc) and Ford cuts the partner a check for the use of thier brand.

Pretty much anything Audio related is driven by marketing/brand name...since we all hear differently due to different things (hearing damage, age, etc) its pretty hard to tell the difference between a set of $50 headphones vs a $300 set in a blind comparison. Just look at Beats brand...they are just bassy/loud and use weights in them to give them a luxurious feel to them. What people assign as "quality" to sound is often pretty cheap/inexpensive to reproduce and you start hitting a wall to prove to people that spending more makes that much more of a difference in the listening experience.

With that said, I'm more or less happy with my Sony system in my SHO...its not earth shattering, but does a decent job for my ears when I'm in my car for about 2 hours commuting back and forth to NJ and MD...which will be coming to a halt in two weeks...thank god!

• Like 1

These higher end brand name systems like Revel and THX are about specs and tuning, not manufacturing per se. In some cases they may supply the amps and speakers. I know that both Revel and THX worked with Lincoln engineers on interior design and speaker placement during vehicle development and I'm sure they had input to the power levels and speaker construction at the least.

On the lower end like Sony it's probably just a name.

• Like 1

And while the Revel is clearly a step up, I don't have any issues with the Sony in my Fusion. I'd give it a solid B. But a lot depends on the type of music you listen to and your personal preferences. Audiophiles will probably not like it at all.

These higher end brand name systems like Revel and THX are about specs and tuning, not manufacturing per se. In some cases they may supply the amps and speakers. I know that both Revel and THX worked with Lincoln engineers on interior design and speaker placement during vehicle development and I'm sure they had input to the power levels and speaker construction at the least.

On the lower end like Sony it's probably just a name.

The Sony ones are a bit different from the "stock" speakers. The Sony ones have a plastic cone while the rest are paper.

The Sony ones are a bit different from the "stock" speakers. The Sony ones have a plastic cone while the rest are paper.

I know some of the components are upgraded. The HU may actually be Sony. But I doubt Sony was involved in any way in the system design.

Overall experience with my Sony is pretty good. I had to make some personal adjustments but it's been very satisfiying. I had the opportunity to compare my buddies Escape SE with the EB16 and standard system. The system wasn't bad but IMO, I found a difference between the two.

Overall experience with my Sony is pretty good. I had to make some personal adjustments but it's been very satisfiying. I had the opportunity to compare my buddies Escape SE with the EB16 and standard system. The system wasn't bad but IMO, I found a difference between the two.

That's the same conclusion I came to with our new Focus vs the Sony system in the ST. It's enough of an upgrade to make most people happy, but like akirby said, audiophiles will be disappointed.

• Like 1

That's the same conclusion I came to with our new Focus vs the Sony system in the ST. It's enough of an upgrade to make most people happy, but like akirby said, audiophiles will be disappointed.

I agree if people are serious and want a better stereo system or more performance parts, they will go after-market. For example, the Mountune upgrades are worth it from what I heard but perhaps not really required for daily driving. I'd love to have a ST for the second car...next year hopefully.