Cougar S

From the edmunds.com site:

Mercury was originally planning to offer a high-performance version called the Cougar S last year, complete with the old Ford SVT Contour's stunning engine, but that car has been shelved. Instead, two special editions -- the XR and C2 -- are offered when you select the Cougar V6 Sport.

If I remember correctly the Cougar S was to use the same motor as the Contour SVT. I'm not sure if there was a "reason" the Cougar S never came to be, but perhaps when the Contour was dropped it didn't make financial sense to keep the unique SVT engine around. The Cougar was pretty much a sales disaster and Mercury/Ford never really seemed interested in fixing the vehicle, instead just letting it die and saying "there's no market for a Mercury coupe." Hmm...

Edmunds did do a comparison test with a 2001 Cougar Zn (A special appearance package) with the 170 hp 2.5L V6 & 5-speed manual. Unfortunately the Cougar placed sixth out of six. The performance specs:

0-60 - 7.9 sec

1/4 mi - 16.0 sec @ 85.9 mph

On the plus side, they have pretty "eh" resale, so one should be readily available. I can't vouch for reliability as I have limited experience with Contours, and most of it is bad.

Scott