Mystery chimes and warning on 2011 MKZ Hybrid

jdircksen

Hi there,

I am hoping for some technical help on my 2011 MKZ Hybrid. I bought it certified used 9 months ago and had the first oil change (at Lincoln) last week. Coinciding with the oil change has been the arrival of warmer weather here (80+ degrees some days). I am getting very infrequent mystery chimes from the instrument panel. Here is what is happening:

4 chimes - ding dong, ding dong

1 out of 5 times a red message flashes (literally a split second) over the temperature gauge. Most of the time I just get chimes but nothing else. Just ding dong, ding dong out of no where. However I did catch the message one - "High Engine Temperature".

Most of the time it happens during a slow turn but sometimes happens while driving straight.

Sometimes I get the chimes shortly after starting the car

If it is temperature related, I did read something about air bubbles in the coolant. I'll keep exploring that route.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by jdircksen

I took video of the issue. The volume is a bit low so turn up your speakers. Hopefully this works:

And Lincoln can't get me in for another 2 weeks so hopefully we find out what the issue is.

Edited by jdircksen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 5/21/2014 at 9:46 PM, jdircksen said:

I took video of the issue. The volume is a bit low so turn up your speakers. Hopefully this works:

And Lincoln can't get me in for another 2 weeks so hopefully we find out what the issue is.

Did you figure out the problem mine is doing the same thing

The issue ended up being related to a loose wiring harness just like expresspotato thought.  If I remember correctly, it was a wiring harness on the transmission.  I remember the tech saying the wires were loose in the plug and had to be re-soldered.

• 5 months later...

Identical issue -- 2012 MKZ Hybrid --  just wanted to help someone else out one day who had to go through the labyrinth I did. This issue seems to only come up randomly and only when the car goes from electric power to gas power.

1. My local mechanic felt it was a cylinder head temperature sensor. Replaced that, the manifold gasket, and coolant while we were in there, and the cylinder head sensor connector. That did NOT WORK, $600 later.

2. Lincoln dealer kept if for several days and, after sending him the video below AND taking a screen shot of the nanosecond when the warning chime comes up, he did three things. He said the screen shot was the most helpful clue, even though I showed him the video below. One of these three things solved it, I don't know which one it was. 

A) He reprogrammed the PCM and the BECM

B) Some random wiring connector, grey in color, wasn't connected. He reconnected it but thought it was remarkable that, even when it was disconnected, no codes came up.

C) He replaced the transmission temperature sensor. While I'm not a mechanic, I feel like this was the actual solution. $566 later, it's fixed.

Edited by Ferg