Getting dad's Corvette back on the road...

NickF1011

So time for the next update:

Over the weekend, we hit the Stingray again in hopes of actually starting her up. It progressed well at first. We replaced the damaged fuel line from the filter to the carb...

post-15254-0-43921900-1402319955_thumb.jpg

(The old line is in front. The issue was the rust really. The kink didn't show up until we were removing it trying to break the nut free at the carb filter.)

Then we got the oil changed, got the plugs back in, and gave her some fresh fuel. With the wheels back on the ground we were ready to give it a shot...

post-15254-0-50013600-1402319964_thumb.jpg

After a few seconds cranking on the starter, the engine came to life briefly, but we instantly shut it down as we saw fuel leaking from the gas filter neck. The ONE part that was on back order when we ordered the other replacement parts for the fuel system was the one that failed us. :doh:

So, we're waiting on that part to arrive before we can give it another go. It looks like she's going to turn over and run pretty easily though. It sounded smooth as silk for the few seconds it was running, despite all the rotten old fuel still lingering in the system.

In the meantime, we got the broken brake light switch striker off and found a replacement (which was no easy task -- almost nobody makes them for non-power brake cars -- thanks volvette.com!)

post-15254-0-11663500-1402319973_thumb.jpg

(Well there's your problem!)

So we're looking good as soon as the necessary parts get in! :happy feet:

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, minor setback in that the place that thought they had the brake light switch striker actually did not, so I'm back to searching again. Urgh. Waiting to hear back from one last place. If they are a bust then it looks like we'll have to find a fabricator to just make us one. Fortunately it doesn't appear to be a particularly complicated part to replicate.

Hopefully will give the engine another go sometime this weekend as well. The new fuel filter has arrived after a wait on back order, so hopefully nothing else will break under the hood. *crossing fingers*

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I owned a 70 Vette for ten years. Living in the NE, the car was put up every winter. I had constant problems with the brakes each spring. Finally went with all new calipers, and lines. (SS sleeves in the calipers, SS for all the lines including fuel). Problem solved!

Had the same issues with my 66 Galaxie's Calipers. Solved that problem by moving to AZ :)

In all other respects, the Vette was a great car! Very reliable daily driver, that was a blast to drive!

Good luck with your project!

PS - Make sure you lube your tach drive before running it too much. They tend to fail if sitting for long periods.

Edited by Hemiman

I owned a 70 Vette for ten years. Living in the NE, the car was put up every winter. I had constant problems with the brakes each spring. Finally went with all new calipers, and lines. (SS sleeves in the calipers, SS for all the lines including fuel). Problem solved!

Had the same issues with my 66 Galaxie's Calipers. Solved that problem by moving to AZ :)

In all other respects, the Vette was a great car! Very reliable daily driver, that was a blast to drive!

Good luck with your project!

PS - Make sure you lube your tach drive before running it too much. They tend to fail if sitting for long periods.

Apparently you missed the other posts - NickF1011 passed away back in July. There were plans to collect money to help his brother finish the vette project but that never came to fruition.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

That's crazy it's been that long already. Feels like yesterday

Main reason I remember is because his GF at the time and some friends of his posted to his page today on Facebook.

The scary thing is that Nick was on BON Forums only an hour or two before he passed away.

• Like 1

Main reason I remember is because his GF at the time and some friends of his posted to his page today on Facebook.

I noticed that too.

The scary thing is that Nick was on BON Forums only an hour or two before he passed away.

Reminder of just how quickly things can change. You just never know. RIP Nick.