Mustang: 500 orders in 30 seconds

Off to a good start across the pond.

By William Boston

BERLIN--More than 9,300 Europeans applied to reserve the first 500 new Ford Mustang sports cars during last weekend's UEFA Champions League soccer final, kicking off Ford Motor Co.'s (F) promotion for the sale of its iconic sports car in Europe next year.

Ford plans to sell its Mustang for the first time in Europe, aiming for customers keen to drive a sports car but who cannot afford to pay for more expensive European models such as Porsche, BMW, Audi or Lamborghini. It will build the car in the United States and export from there to foreign markets.

Ford launched the promotion at the beginning of the Champions League final between Real Madrid and Club Atletico de Madrid. Within 30 seconds of the start of the game, Ford had received the first 500 orders, the company said.

• Like 1

Interesting that the question of affordability came up. I expect the Mustang to cost as much as a 3-Series over there.

And to be savaged by most of the media--who could probably write their articles right now, rather than waiting for all the hassle of a hands-on drive paid for by Ford Motor.

It'll be interesting to see how well demand holds up. Certainly, there's a pent up interest in this product.

Edited by RichardJensen

Ford plans to sell its Mustang for the first time in Europe, aiming for customers keen to drive a sports car but who cannot afford to pay for more expensive European models such as Porsche, BMW, Audi or Lamborghini.

What a stupid assumption from the author of this article.

A friend of mine who owns a GT-R which is USD$100,000 + vehicle post-25487-0-04423500-1401269881_thumb.jpg

, is chomping at the bit (eager) to get the new Mustang.

post-25487-0-82232400-1401268811_thumb.jpg

For people who can't afford more expensive cars, what a dickweed

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

What a stupid assumption from the author of this article.

A friend of mine who owns a GT-R which is USD$100,000 + vehicle attachicon.gifcarls phone pics2 330.jpg

, is chomping at the bit (eager) to get the new Mustang.

attachicon.gifmustang-1024x573.jpg

For people who can't afford more expensive cars, what a dickweed

Granted he was a bit blunt the way he said it, but wasn't that the reason why the Mustang was introduced in the first place? Ford's own advertising claimed the Mustang was about getting European style without the European price.

As I have wanted a Mustang since I was a child, I also took part at the Champions-League-Final pre-ordering.

Yesterday morning I received an E-Mail from Ford, telling me that my name is on "the list" and congratulating me for getting closer to my chance of allocating a new Mustang.
In that E-Mail they gave me a voucher-code and told me that I needed to have that code at hand if I should be one of the first 500 participants and therefore receive a phone-call from Ford.
They went on to tell me that if I won´t get the phone-call from Ford that means that I wasn´t one of the first 500 participants, but I shouldn´t worry, they promised to keep me posted with exclusive news on the arrival of the Mustang in Germany anyway.
I am not among the first 500 participants, because being a lawyer I first had to read the general terms and conditions before I participated (the leopard can´t change its spots redface.gif), that means having lost out to people who just don´t care for the fine print.

That´s O.K. for me, as I will either wait for the second batch of cars to arive in Germany later next year or get some other Ford product to hold me over for the next three or four years (maybe the Focus ST facelift or even the EcoSport, which would compliment my wife´s Kuga very nicely).

• Like 1

I know this is a little off subject, but Mustangs in Germany, got me thinking about my time in Germany. I was stationed in Hanau. Every barracks had what we called a barracks car. As a guy would go back to the states, he would sell this car to a new guy coming into country. Our barracks car was a Mustang 2. Red, white top. with an auto. I was the next in line, so I bought it. 500 bucks. Many trips to munich in that little car. oh the memories of Mustangs in Germany. Sorry just thought id share that with the group. Oh yeah sold it to the next guy for 500 bucks.

• Like 1

And since Ford doesn't really offer a Mustang as heavily decontented as a base 3 Series, I would call that extremely fair.

Just wondering, does BMW offer a base 3-series coupe? A base 4-series coupe?

IMHO, the 2.3 EB should do really well in the EU. Anyway, regardless of engines, give the EU turner crowd another 12 months or so, and really interesting stuff should emerge. :)

Just wondering, does BMW offer a base 3-series coupe? A base 4-series coupe?

IMHO, the 2.3 EB should do really well in the EU. Anyway, regardless of engines, give the EU turner crowd another 12 months or so, and really interesting stuff should emerge. :)

In Germany (and probably much more of Europe) there's a 420i as the base coupe. 183 HP or so, around €36k.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva