Windshield Wiper/Headlight Law

Furious1Auto

control-freak.jpg

And I thought I was bad......

Hell, just allow me the option of controlling it manually like I have been the entire time I've been driving and I'll be just fine. Hasn't been a problem so far.

(But hey, I do like my transmitter-controlled lights idea.)

• Like 1

There are times where your attention is drawn other places, and maybe even downshifting a satandard shift vehicle entering a curve at the same time when a car is approaching and you need to dim your brights. Do you take your hand off the shifter, or leg go of the wheel to dim your lights in this event? Personally I like the dime on the floor like in the old 80's and older vehicles.

I don't like daytime driving lights because they cause bulbs to burn out prematurely do to long run times. A headlamp out will also cost you a ticket. Adding a relay to the wipers is an easy solution to be compliant with the law, and is also another selling point.

There are times where your attention is drawn other places, and maybe even downshifting a satandard shift vehicle entering a curve at the same time when a car is approaching and you need to dim your brights. Do you take your hand off the shifter, or leg go of the wheel to dim your lights in this event? Personally I like the dime on the floor like in the old 80's and older vehicles.

I don't like daytime driving lights because they cause bulbs to burn out prematurely do to long run times. A headlamp out will also cost you a ticket. Adding a relay to the wipers is an easy solution to be compliant with the law, and is also another selling point.

DRLs run on reduced wattaged high-beams.

Null argument unless you are in the habit of driving around city limits with high beams on.

Not really, have you ever been through West Virginia, or the Ozarks? Curvy roads make this occurrence very common, especially for people living in these areas. These features should be standard on every product Ford makes.

Your coming into a curve, you have to downshift to slow for the curve. Your bights are on because you need the increased visibility because of the terrain. You see light cast outside the curve from oncoming traffic from a vehicle you can't even see yet because a mountain is blocking it from your view. But because your hands and legs are busy adjusting your speed, you don't have the free hand to dim your lights. I drove semi-track or an trailer for nearly 10 years before working at Ford Motor Company. What I am saying is fact, and has happened to me on many, many occasions.

Edited by Furious1Auto

DRLs run on reduced wattaged high-beams.

Null argument unless you are in the habit of driving around city limits with high beams on.

Add in that many new vehicles use LEDs for DRL's instead of traditional bulbs. I have no issue with DRL's when done properly, although I do think there should also be some sort of rear daylight indicators as well, as I see far too many cars driving at dusk/dawn or in rain with nothing on but DRL's that are nearly impossible to see from the rear.

• Like 1

My $0.02.

I leave my 2013 F150 in Auto (headlights) all the time. It does a pretty good job most of the time, although the delay when entering a tunnel means I turn them on manually, then back to auto so they go off when I exit the tunnel.

AFAIK, it does not turn on the lights when I turn on wipers, although there may be a discrepancy between wiper settings (delay versus low/high) that I've failed to notice.

A minor peeve of mine is the way the highbeams are set. In my Ranger, you'd push the turn stalk forward or you could pull it back to quick-flash (without setting them). In my F150, you pull back to "click" the high beams on, and that's it. There is no quick-flash, and I'm not sure if they come on at all when the headlights are off (ie. during the day), so you can let the trucker know to come over. I liked my old Ranger's way of doing it much better.

I like that the parking lights come on when you unlock the doors with the fob. It will make finding the truck in a crowded lot (especially at night) a little easier. (I say will because I'm still in the "Corvette guy" phase of ownership, and park the truck a l-o-n-g way from the door, so there's noone parked next to me)

I do think there should also be some sort of rear daylight indicators as well, as I see far too many cars driving at dusk/dawn or in rain with nothing on but DRL's that are nearly impossible to see from the rear.

They're called "headlamps (and taillamps)". Just turn the damn lights on all the time instead of just the fronts for DRLs. People driving with no lights on at all or just DRLs when it's dark and/or rainy is a real safety hazard.

My $0.02.

I leave my 2013 F150 in Auto (headlights) all the time. It does a pretty good job most of the time, although the delay when entering a tunnel means I turn them on manually, then back to auto so they go off when I exit the tunnel.

AFAIK, it does not turn on the lights when I turn on wipers, although there may be a discrepancy between wiper settings (delay versus low/high) that I've failed to notice.

A minor peeve of mine is the way the highbeams are set. In my Ranger, you'd push the turn stalk forward or you could pull it back to quick-flash (without setting them). In my F150, you pull back to "click" the high beams on, and that's it. There is no quick-flash, and I'm not sure if they come on at all when the headlights are off (ie. during the day), so you can let the trucker know to come over. I liked my old Ranger's way of doing it much better.

I like that the parking lights come on when you unlock the doors with the fob. It will make finding the truck in a crowded lot (especially at night) a little easier. (I say will because I'm still in the "Corvette guy" phase of ownership, and park the truck a l-o-n-g way from the door, so there's noone parked next to me)

If you have autolamps it's almost certain that they'll activate with the wipers on, but there is a delay in misty conditions.

On the brights I much prefer the pull back toggle to the push forward design. You can still flash the lights - you just pull back but stop before it clicks. At least that's the way all my other vehicles with that type of control worked.

They're called "headlamps (and taillamps)". Just turn the damn lights on all the time instead of just the fronts for DRLs. People driving with no lights on at all or just DRLs when it's dark and/or rainy is a real safety hazard.

I think it's coming to that once headlight arrays themselves make more of a transition to LED, but most people (including myself) don't want their incandescent bulbs on all the time.

Edited by NickF1011

I think it's coming to that once headlight arrays themselves make more of a transition to LED, but most people (including myself) don't want their incandescent bulbs on all the time.

The only thing I really notice about DRLs is how many fairly new GM pickups already have one of them burnt out.

Unless it's really overcast and cloudy, DRL's do nothing. When it's bright and sunny, the low power lights aren't enough to overcome the relative brightness of everything else around, especially with sunglasses on.

The only thing I really notice about DRLs is how many fairly new GM pickups already have one of them burnt out.

Unless it's really overcast and cloudy, DRL's do nothing. When it's bright and sunny, the low power lights aren't enough to overcome the relative brightness of everything else around, especially with sunglasses on.

Both of those are perfect examples of the shortcomings of incandescent DRL's. I have no trouble seeing the white LED DRLs on newer cars even on the sunniest of days. Have never seen any burnt out either -- even on Audis which were previously notorious for their lights failing.

Both of those are perfect examples of the shortcomings of incandescent DRL's. I have no trouble seeing the white LED DRLs on newer cars even on the sunniest of days. Have never seen any burnt out either -- even on Audis which were previously notorious for their lights failing.

Yeah, I could see LEDs making both of those issues going away. I really don't recall seeing any cars with LED DRLs (this rural area is pretty sheltered from the luxury makes that offer those), so can't really comment on them.

Question, though. What did you see first? The car or the LED DRL?

Yeah, I could see LEDs making both of those issues going away. I really don't recall seeing any cars with LED DRLs (this rural area is pretty sheltered from the luxury makes that offer those), so can't really comment on them.

Question, though. What did you see first? The car or the LED DRL?

Those LEDs are visible from quite a ways off. Depending on the color of the vehicle and the background conditions, it can certainly make them more visible. It also gives you an immediate indication of which direction a vehicle is traveling.

And I can't believe you've never seen a car with LED DRL's??? ANY new Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, or Land Rover has them. Plenty of others have them also: Chrysler 300, Honda Accord, Kia Optima, Ford Escape...

Those LEDs are visible from quite a ways off. Depending on the color of the vehicle and the background conditions, it can certainly make them more visible. It also gives you an immediate indication of which direction a vehicle is traveling.

And I can't believe you've never seen a car with LED DRL's??? ANY new Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, or Land Rover has them. Plenty of others have them also: Chrysler 300, Honda Accord, Kia Optima, Ford Escape...

Maybe I just haven't noticed them. There just aren't ANY Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar or Land Rover cars around here. The nearest dealerships for those are at least an hour away, most are two hours. The 300, Accord, Optima and Escape have DRLs? Or are they running lights.

Maybe I just haven't noticed them. There just aren't ANY Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar or Land Rover cars around here. The nearest dealerships for those are at least an hour away, most are two hours. The 300, Accord, Optima and Escape have DRLs? Or are they running lights.

:headscratch: There's a difference between LED "running lights" and LED DRL's? They perform the exact same function -- to make the vehicle more visible during daylight operation. I believe Lincoln refers to them as DRL's as well on the MKZ (where they are available). I'd venture to guess the LED "running lights" put out more lumens than any incandescent DRL's do.

Edited by NickF1011

Perhaps there's a "fail-yuh to commune-cate" between DRLs and parking lights?

I dunno. Maybe. But it drives me insane when people drive around with nothing but their parking lights on. You're already making the effort to turn those on. Flip the switch another half inch and turn the headlights on too.

:headscratch: There's a difference between LED "running lights" and LED DRL's? They perform the exact same function -- to make the vehicle more visible during daylight operation. I believe Lincoln refers to them as DRL's as well on the MKZ (where they are available). I'd venture to guess the LED "running lights" put out more lumens than any incandescent DRL's do.

Running lights = Parking lights = first stop on the headlight switch.

Perhaps there's a "fail-yuh to commune-cate" between DRLs and parking lights?

Ding ding ding!!

I dunno. Maybe. But it drives me insane when people drive around with nothing but their parking lights on. You're already making the effort to turn those on. Flip the switch another half inch and turn the headlights on too.

Agreed! You are talking about parking lights, I'm talking about DRL's. As far as I know, no Ford vehicles come standard with DRL's in the US (though I think they do in the Great White North).

Running lights = Parking lights = first stop on the headlight switch.

On all of those vehicles I listed though, those LEDs are always on when the vehicle is on. It's not a switch of any sort.

As far as I know, no Ford vehicles come standard with DRL's in the US (though I think they do in the Great White North).

Fairly certain the higher trim level Escapes do.

2014-Ford-Escape-Titanium-3-of-34.jpg

It is certainly one area Ford is lagging though.

Edited by NickF1011

On all of those vehicles I listed though, those LEDs are always on when the vehicle is on. It's not a switch of any sort.

Fairly certain the higher trim level Escapes do.

OK then, I didn't realize that, I thought you had to turn them on. So, then they are DRLs.