Suddenly Lois Lerner's Emails Are Lost.

The IRS is now claiming that they have lost over two years worth of Lois Lerner's emails due to a "computer crash". Well isn't that just absolutely convenient for them? The whole liberal political infrastructure in DC is corrupt as hell. I don't believe for one second that these emails were just accidentally lost, oh so sorry. They purposely destroyed them to protect their selves from incrimination. I suspect there were some pretty high up politicians involved in this scandal and if those emails came out the country would know just exactly how wide spread and corrupt the IRS scandal actually was. Can't afford to have that happen so lets have a convenient computer crash.

Edited by akirby
off topic rants removed

Stick to the topic and don't turn this into conservatives vs. liberals.

That was not conservatives vs liberals. That was a summation of the Obama administration. There was not a single reference to conservatives in there akirby and the the thread was intended to be an overview from the beginning. If you think I'm some big fan of conservatives you clearly haven't been paying attention. If it would make you feel better I could post a lengthy post about the failings of the conservatives over the last few years.

Edited by BlackHorse

The IRS is now claiming that they have lost over two years worth of Lois Lerner's emails due to a "computer crash". Well isn't that just absolutely convenient for them? The whole liberal political infrastructure in DC is corrupt as hell. I don't believe for one second that these emails were just accidentally lost, oh so sorry. They purposely destroyed them to protect their selves from incrimination. I suspect there were some pretty high up politicians involved in this scandal and if those emails came out the country would know just exactly how wide spread and corrupt the IRS scandal actually was. Can't afford to have that happen so lets have a convenient computer crash.

The crash occurred years before but the IRS has put together some 24,000 emails from those years that were on other's computers within the IRS.

That was not conservatives vs liberals. That was a summation of the Obama administration. There was not a single reference to conservatives in there akirby and the the thread was intended to be an overview from the beginning. If you think I'm some big fan of conservatives you clearly haven't been paying attention. If it would make you feel better I could post a lengthy post about the failings of the conservatives over the last few years.

It would have led to yet another conservatives vs. liberals / bush vs. obama thread and we're not going there again. If you want to discuss the emails then stick to the topic.

I bet the NSA has a backup of the "lost" emails.

If it really happened there should be an easy way to document the event.

Just show the service log of the reported drive failure, when it was reported by Lerner, who attempted recovery and the backup image last creation date.

Edited by cal50

I bet the NSA has a backup of the "lost" emails.

If it really happened there should be easy to document. Just show the service log of the reported drive failure, when it was reported by Lerner, who attempted recovery and the backup image last creation date.

the federal government DOES NOT operate without RAID drives and backups.

And if it does, and has lost data because of a crash.....how secure are you in your social security, national defense, IRS records of payments and refunds due, and the endless reliance on those systems to act as record keeping for illegal activity or malicious actions?

If the IRS is going for that as an excuse, and Americans are buying it, they deserve the incompetence they voted for.

• Like 2

the federal government DOES NOT operate without RAID drives and backups.

And if it does, and has lost data because of a crash.....how secure are you in your social security, national defense, IRS records of payments and refunds due, and the endless reliance on those systems to act as record keeping for illegal activity or malicious actions?

If the IRS is going for that as an excuse, and Americans are buying it, they deserve the incompetence they voted for.

Our national defense is threatened because they didn't have her back up her emails on an individual work station at the IRS?

There are multiple computers at play for email to work.

You usually have the sender's computer, the SMTP, the POP (or other), and the recipient's computer.

Did they all crash?

Exactly. I have backup of all my received and sent emails, on both my desktop and my notebook, my POP3 settings are to leave 30 days of email on the server, and I know for a fact that my ISP has multiple, redundant backup of all the POP3 and SMTP server contents.

Only an idiot would buy this excuse.

• Like 1

Our national defense is threatened because they didn't have her back up her emails on an individual work station at the IRS?

Your ISP sees everything in and out. Your email service has it's own records of traffic. Email is inherently insecure itself as it isn't typically encrypted.

Software is easily available for less than $100 than can recover most hard drives, but given the importance of this system, experts can recover a drive even after a fire or being submerged in saltwater for weeks. They maintain stockpiles of all hard drives produced to allow for exact component replacement, whether it's the heads, controller board, or EIDE controller. Expensive for the common folk, but for government investigations, $8,000 is a pittance.

Not to mention the monitoring of the NSA. Just ask Snowden.

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

Your ISP sees everything in and out. Your email service has it's own records of traffic. Email is inherently insecure itself as it isn't typically encrypted.

Software is easily available for less than $100 than can recover most hard drives, but given the importance of this system, experts can recover a drive even after a fire or being submerged in saltwater for weeks. They maintain stockpiles of all hard drives produced to allow for exact component replacement, whether it's the heads, controller board, or EIDE controller. Expensive for the common folk, but for government investigations, $8,000 is a pittance.

Not to mention the monitoring of the NSA. Just ask Snowden.

You do realize that the crash occurred in 2011 and there was likely no need to "FIND" the emails at that point as she wasn't under investigation.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/irs-lois-lerner-email-107850.html

This story explains the issue without all the vast conspiracy theories.

According to the story, they can or have recover(ed) emails where her address was included in the CC, from other computers.

I know if I were an IRS employee being directed to target specific groups for extra scrutiny, I'd save that as my "get out of jail" free card, should I ever need it.

You do realize that the crash occurred in 2011 and there was likely no need to "FIND" the emails at that point as she wasn't under investigation.

I reiterate. Considering that she had archived those emails on her local drive, she felt those files were worthy of keeping. They could/should have been recovered....at the time. She was a Director, not a low level grunt. Her communications were significant in their importance and for purposes of compliance, subject to extraordinary archival value.

Selective critical thinking isn't truly critical thinking.

I reiterate. Considering that she had archived those emails on her local drive, she felt those files were worthy of keeping. They could/should have been recovered....at the time. She was a Director, not a low level grunt. Her communications were significant in their importance and for purposes of compliance, subject to extraordinary archival value.

Selective critical thinking isn't truly critical thinking.

Ok. Here's the deal; I'll stop if you do.

According to the story, they can or have recover(ed) emails where her address was included in the CC, from other computers.

I know if I were an IRS employee being directed to target specific groups for extra scrutiny, I'd save that as my "get out of jail" free card, should I ever need it.

And 99.99% do. My feeling is that she wasn't "directed" to do so, but was vocal about the possibility of abuse by Tea Party groups and caught the eye of someone advising Obama.

Wouldn't be the first or last person to try to move up by doing the boss an unasked favor if you will.

MI, you are consistent in ignoring the likelihood that she knew she was operating in dangerous waters. A "convenient" crash would serve as an excuse for the loss of the records that were pertinent to her actions that put her at risk of prosecution. I don't doubt she thought she was being a "Team Obama" player. And it may be possible she was acting in a way to "suck up" to the administration by doing self-initiated pro-active initiatives. However, I think the best the administration could claim is that as soon as they saw what she was doing, they ordered her to cease immediately. What that scenario suggests is there were communications between administration officials who told her to stop. Where are those e-mails? Why are they reluctant to speak directly to those orders?

The White House hasn't had a convenient hard drive crash has it?

And 99.99% do. My feeling is that she wasn't "directed" to do so, but was vocal about the possibility of abuse by Tea Party groups and caught the eye of someone advising Obama.

Wouldn't be the first or last person to try to move up by doing the boss an unasked favor if you will.

Perhaps, but isn't she the one who denied having done anything wrong, and then took the fifth?

I suppose that could support your "do the boss a favor" scenario, but I don't know that it makes sense, because any actions taken by her would lead back to her alone.