Lincoln won't build CLA rival, traditional flagship

Lincoln is taking the path less traveled as it attempts to revitalize its product portfolio. Unlike key rivals, the brand has no plans to field a flagship sedan or an entry in the increasingly popular entry-luxury sedan segment.

To avoid stealing sales from Ford, Lincoln will refrain from offering a sub-$30,000 model to take on the Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class and Audi A3, Matt VanDyke, global head of marketing, sales and service for Lincoln, revealed to Edmunds.

"We have to go up," VanDyke said. "We have a Ford brand that has phenomenal products in the $20,000-$30,000 range. Our goal shouldn't be to go down below $30,000 and compete with them. Our goal and transformation needs to be to really entrench ourselves as a true luxury competitor in the higher price points."

Despite the need to move upmarket, Lincoln will not build a full-size flagship sedan modeled after the BMW 7-Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class.

"I think the definition [of flagship] is kind of changing," VanDyke commented. "So I don't think it is as easy today to say that a flagship is a [big] sedan, costing $100,000 that sets the tone for the rest of the product line. It is not as simple as it maybe was a decade or two ago."

In a break from tradition, Lincoln's future flagship may not be its most expensive or largest model. The company points to Land Rover's small, style-focused Range Rover Evoque crossover as an example of the type of image-boosting vehicle it would like to launch.

"One of the things we pay close attention to is what Land Rover has achieved with the Evoque," VanDyke said. "People are surprised to see the kind of statement that makes for the brand."

VanDyke declined to divulge whether Lincoln's future flagship will take the form of a sedan or a crossover.

Read more: http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-...#ixzz356pGXjG1

Doesn't mean there won't be a small sedan - just that it won't be a $30K small sedan.

The large luxury sedan market is so tiny now that it doesn't make sense to go after that.

Ford, unlike Mercedes, also doesn't have a hole to fill in the sub-$30K market--how do you differentiate a sub-$30K MKWhatever from a Focus and keep the Lincoln profit margins?

Ford, unlike Mercedes, also doesn't have a hole to fill in the sub-$30K market--how do you differentiate a sub-$30K MKWhatever from a Focus and keep the Lincoln profit margins?

Exactly. Ford Titaniums already fill that slot nicely. BMW and MB don't have that luxury (pun intended).

Speculative articles like this usually don't amount to much anyway. Anything that Lincoln IS planning in those areas is still likely a few years off and not in stone, so why would anyone verify if those programs exist or not? Makes for headlines though I guess.

Of course not. Just think Ford/Lincoln line up is glutted with CUV's. If I were to add another CUV to the Lincoln stable, it'd be based on the Flex.

It's glutted because that's what people are buying now. I think we'll see an Aviator on a new CD4 based platform while the Navigator goes more upmarket to compete with Land Rover/Range Rover.

You mean like the MKT already is?

Very likely they will get a large Explorer-based CUV to replace that.

Yes, I know the MKT is based on the Flex/Explorer. What I'd like to see is a more wagon-like vehicle. Something like the Volvo XC-90 maybe.

Edited by Hemiman

Yes, I know the MKT is based on the Flex/Explorer. What I'd like to see is a more wagon-like vehicle something like the Volvo XC-90 maybe.

I don't think the sales volume would be there. XC-90 isn't particularly large either, which would probably put it too closely size-wize to the MKX. Given the Explorer's undoubted success, I don't see why that formula should be strayed from too far.

I don't think the sales volume would be there. XC-90 isn't particularly large either, which would probably put it too closely size-wize to the MKX. Given the Explorer's undoubted success, I don't see why that formula should be strayed from too far.

Agreed. We are in the process of buying a car. Wife and I love the XC-90, but it was a tight fit for our families needs.

It's glutted because that's what people are buying now. I think we'll see an Aviator on a new CD4 based platform while the Navigator goes more upmarket to compete with Land Rover/Range Rover.

In all fairness, what makes the Nav on the same playing field as the Range Rover?

A higher price tag isn't it.

I hate to bring up the Troller, as there has been too much discussion on what it could do here, but there is an option to import a tarted up Troller with all leather and burled walnut to compete with the MB G-Class/Range Rover. The fact that's it would be a limited supply and NOT a reskinned Ford could command a high price tag.

• Like 1

Obviously they'll have to add the features, quality, styling and performance that matches RR if they're going to charge RR prices. I thought that was obvious. It's not the current one.

Troller is a terrible example. I don't think it has the refinement of a RR.

Edited by akirby

Obviously they'll have to add the features, quality, styling and performance that matches RR if they're going to charge RR prices. I thought that was obvious. It's not the current one.

Troller is a terrible example. I don't think it has the refinement of a RR.

Very true, but the G-Class is a tarted up military vehicle, which commands a significant premium.

Are people buying the capability or the badge?

A lesson Cadillac may be learning the hard way, Alpha platform cost GM a lot to develop

The one thing Lincoln must not do is simply follow Cadillac and make the same errors by

trying to match luxury marques with expensive platforms and using Camaro to add volume..

It's much riskier doing a "reach down" than trying to extend an existing platform upwards..

I believe that Ford has more vehicles in its portfolio that Lincoln could use and

that dealers are asking for......a good 3-Row SUV and a compact luxury sedan

but yes, MKZ, MKC and MKX are the cornerstones of Lincoln's revival.

A Mustang based MKR coupe/convertible in 2.3 and 5.0 versions wouldn't be unreasonable,

The return on those vehicles i would surely be much quicker than GM's Alphas..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

A Mustang based MKR coupe/convertible in 2.3 and 5.0 versions wouldn't be unreasonable,

The return on those vehicles i would surely be much quicker than GM's Alphas..

Even if they created a new AWD-capable floorpan for them, as AWD is an expected option in luxo-land, regardless of ethnicity of manufacture. :)

Given the very particular characteristics of the Mustang and the limited budget/limited sales expectations for a RWD Lincoln coupe.

All I can imagine is an XLR redux.

Without getting too far into this, XLR is different case, based on already expensive / more exclusive Corvette

so the price of XLR ($80K-$100K) had to be even more exclusive - again like ELR GM misread the market.

What I'm suggesting with MKR coupe are more appropriate vehicles that don't break the budget,

and complement the existing MKZ at entry point and high series.