They might have blown it with the Edge

Guest Sixcav

Guest Sixcav

Look I like the Edge. I think it has good styling and all that. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. However I just priced one off the Ford website and I think Ford is going to blow it by asking too much money for it. The one I speced out is basically stripped down and it was still damn near 27 grand sticker which means by the time you throw tax and tags on it, you're bumping 29 grand for a pretty much based out Edge. Who would do that? Let me say that again, who with common sense would do that. Here's the link so you can see for yourself just how few options I included.

http://www9.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/Di...amp;statetoken=

This is a base model SE, front wheel drive and the only options are the AdvanceTrac and a towing package.

$26,730!!!!!!! Kiss my ass!!!!! lol The real kicker is that you know there's not a Ford dealer around that would put an Edge on their lot with only two options. They are going to have at least 4 to 6 options on average which means you will never see one below 27 grand sticker and likely they will average around 28 to 30. They will languish, just as the Freestyle has and for the same reason. Why would I pay 30 grand for a Ford Edge when I can go get a damn BMW for about a grand more? Why would I pay 30 grand for a Ford Edge when I can get a Volvo V70 for about a grand more and the V60 is cheaper? Ford needs to realize that like it or not they are not percieved by the masses as a high class or luxury vehicle so they need to keep their prices out of that range. It's the only way that they will sell anything. I wouldn't pay 30 grand from an Edge when I knew I could get the Volvo wagon for the same price, or a BMW sedan for about the same price. Maybe they are playing the field of dreams angle, "If we price it, they will buy." Only I don't think it's working guys. The Fusion sells pretty well but guess what, you can get a nicely appointed Fusion for about 22 to 24 K. Competitive with the Accord and Camry. This thing is apparently trying to compete with Volvo's, BMW's and Audis by looking at its price range. Guess what, most people don't consider Ford to be in the same league with those cars. I'll grant you it may last just as long and be reliable and all that, but you can't just force people to accept a new reality when the reality for the past 30 years has been otherwise. This is Nissan Maxima terrority!!! The Edge might last longer and cost less to maintain than a Maxima right? But guess what, people don't consider Ford Edge and Nissan Maxima in the same league. That's just the reality of perception and Ford has got to understand that and quit pricing this shit so high. That's where I come out on it. Now you guys yell at me I don't care. lol

P.S. the link doesn't work properly I tried it. You'll just have to go through build and price yourself I guess.

Edited by Sixcav

Look I like the Edge. I think it has good styling and all that. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. However I just priced one off the Ford website and I think Ford is going to blow it by asking too much money for it. The one I speced out is basically stripped down and it was still damn near 27 grand sticker which means by the time you throw tax and tags on it, you're bumping 29 grand for a pretty much based out Edge. Who would do that? Let me say that again, who with common sense would do that. Here's the link so you can see for yourself just how few options I included.

This is a base model SE, front wheel drive and the only options are the AdvanceTrac and a towing package.

$26,730!!!!!!! Kiss my ass!!!!! lol The real kicker is that you know there's not a Ford dealer around that would put an Edge on their lot with only two options. They are going to have at least 4 to 6 options on average which means you will never see one below 27 grand sticker and likely they will average around 28 to 30. They will languish, just as the Freestyle has and for the same reason. Why would I pay 30 grand for a Ford Edge when I can go get a damn BMW for about a grand more? Why would I pay 30 grand for a Ford Edge when I can get a Volvo V70 for about a grand more and the V60 is cheaper? Ford needs to realize that like it or not they are not percieved by the masses as a high class or luxury vehicle so they need to keep their prices out of that range. It's the only way that they will sell anything. I wouldn't pay 30 grand from an Edge when I knew I could get the Volvo wagon for the same price, or a BMW sedan for about the same price. Maybe they are playing the field of dreams angle, "If we price it, they will buy." Only I don't think it's working guys. The Fusion sells pretty well but guess what, you can get a nicely appointed Fusion for about 22 to 24 K. Competitive with the Accord and Camry. This thing is apparently trying to compete with Volvo's, BMW's and Audis by looking at its price range. Guess what, most people don't consider Ford to be in the same league with those cars. I'll grant you it may last just as long and be reliable and all that, but you can't just force people to accept a new reality when the reality for the past 30 years has been otherwise. This is Nissan Maxima terrority!!! The Edge might last longer and cost less to maintain than a Maxima right? But guess what, people don't consider Ford Edge and Nissan Maxima in the same league. That's just the reality of perception and Ford has got to understand that and quit pricing this shit so high. That's where I come out on it. Now you guys yell at me I don't care. lol

P.S. the link doesn't work properly I tried it. You'll just have to go through build and price yourself I guess.

Reminds me of the Freestar a few years ago. An average minivan priced $8,000 more than a Chrysler minivan. GM has the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia coming out that are not only larger, they get just as good of fuel economy, and they start out at about $23,000. let's hope Ford adjusts their prices on this; we do not want to see a scenario where they are putting $5,000 incentives on the hood of a new model to move it!

And people here iare going to argue the edge is ford's answer to the rav4...................Yeah right, they'll make any excuses to defend the POS escape that should have been replaced last year.

And people here iare going to argue the edge is ford's answer to the rav4...................Yeah right, they'll make any excuses to defend the POS escape that should have been replaced last year.

POS Escape? Most people I know that own Escapes, Mariners or Tributes are very happy with their vehicles. What qualifies as a POS? My brother and sister in law bought a new Honda Accord in 1998. It's been a good car for them. When it came to add a new vehicle to replace their old 1992 Taurus they chose a new 2005 Mariner Premier. They love it. Tell them it's a POS they will laugh at you.

Why would I pay 30 grand for a Ford Edge when I can go get a damn BMW for about a grand more?

So you're taking the price from your market-testing pre-release preview, inflating it because 'no base models will be available', and then comparing that to a base priced BMW -- and you're still wrong by $6000 (the base price of the BMW X3 3.0i SAV, BMW's cheaper CUV, is $36,800 -- and at that has significantly less power and torque).

I've heard tell that the Fusion prices on the preview build-n-price were $2-3k above what they actually ended up being, and consensus is that the same thing will be true on the Edge. Reason dictates it should slot price-wise, as it does size-wise, between the Escape and Freestyle.

Why do they market-test with higher prices? Let's face it, when you're just playing around with options on a web page, you're a lot freer with your wallet than if you're actually signing away the next 4-5 years of your disposable income. Using higher prices undoubtedly leads people to make more realistic decisions about what options they would choose in real life.

POS Escape? Most people I know that own Escapes, Mariners or Tributes are very happy with their vehicles. What qualifies as a POS? My brother and sister in law bought a new Honda Accord in 1998. It's been a good car for them. When it came to add a new vehicle to replace their old 1992 Taurus they chose a new 2005 Mariner Premier. They love it. Tell them it's a POS they will laugh at you.

Here here! I know two people with Escapes, and they both love them.

Guest Sixcav
So you're taking the price from your market-testing pre-release preview, inflating it because 'no base models will be available', and then comparing that to a base priced BMW -- and you're still wrong by $6000 (the base price of the BMW X3 3.0i SAV, BMW's cheaper CUV, is $36,800 -- and at that has significantly less power and torque).

I've heard tell that the Fusion prices on the preview build-n-price were $2-3k above what they actually ended up being, and consensus is that the same thing will be true on the Edge. Reason dictates it should slot price-wise, as it does size-wise, between the Escape and Freestyle.

Why do they market-test with higher prices? Let's face it, when you're just playing around with options on a web page, you're a lot freer with your wallet than if you're actually signing away the next 4-5 years of your disposable income. Using higher prices undoubtedly leads people to make more realistic decisions about what options they would choose in real life.

LOL, Whatever Noah. Actually I wasn't referring to the BMW SUV, I was thinking more like 3 series because when most poeple shop for new transporation they have a general idea in mind but that often ends up getting changed as dictated by what they can afford. I should have more clear about that I grant you, but that was the intent. Second these prices are straight from the Ford build and price feature on the Ford website. So they aren't inflated or adjusted and if you read the post you know that I priced one with only two options. Just two. Now tell me, the last you went down to a dealer lot when's the last time you saw a car with just two options? They never do that. They always put on plenty of options because that's where they make most of their money when they sell the car. This isn't a market test price, this is the "what your ass will pay" price. But if you don't believe me bud, head on down to your local Ford dealer and get a healthy dose of sticker shock off the Edges they have on the lot. For the record I priced my Mustang off the Build and price feature on the Ford website before it showed up and it wasn't some 2 to 3 k off, it was a ten dollar difference. So don't put too much stock into "what you've heard." about that.

Sixcav, you're going off half cocked. Those prices are not the official MSRP. Those are a "rough" idea of pricing. I mean just look at the options. Stability Roll Control and Side Air Curtains are still "optional". Those were declared standard awhile ago already. They just haven't changed the page.

So the best recomendation is to take a deep breath, and fuggetaboutit. The prices you spec out are what I would call worst possible scenerio. Given the current market competitivness, it'll be lower.

Guest Sixcav

Well hopefully you're right 92merc. We'll see. I could just see them doing with the Edge what they did with the Freestyle. I've never seen a Freestyle on the lot that was below 26 grand. And they sit on the lot. And sit on the lot. And sit on the lot. And then someone test drives it. And it goes back to the lot. Where it sits. lol

Guest Sixcav

Yep, you guys are right about that, I see where it says that. All I can say is the damn things better vary a hell of a lot when they go on sale. With a base price of $25,740 they better come up with some very clever ways to group some stuff together. You guys know as well as I a base price is the same as saying pie in the sky. You'll never see it on the lot and 26 grand base price is still too damn high IMO. With that base price, you know the average vehicle will still be 1500 to 2000 above it by the time the dealer throws some money making options on there. Then you throw tax and tags on top of that and like I said, you're bumping the 30 grand mark for one of these things. So they need to do something because right now they are asking about 5000 too much. A well appointed Edge should be in the 24 to 25 grand range, base at about 22K if they really want to be competitive. The Escape may be a good reliable vehicle but the style is getting aged and SUV's are not the cash crop they once were. The Focus is not moving well and the Freestyle has already been priced out of the market. The Fusion is about all they've got and it's reasonably affordable.

The Edge will not be cheap, that is why the Escape is being prepared to better compliment the Edge at the lower end of the spectrum. The Edge will still sticker low enough to cross into Escape territory and afford people the option to chose what they prefer...assuming they want to pay for a fully equiped Escape or a modertely equiped Edge.

I know many are concerned that the Escape won't be adequately updated for '08, but it should still remain competitive.

The Edge will not be cheap, that is why the Escape is being prepared to better compliment the Edge at the lower end of the spectrum. The Edge will still sticker low enough to cross into Escape territory and afford people the option to chose what they prefer...assuming they want to pay for a fully equiped Escape or a modertely equiped Edge.

I know many are concerned that the Escape won't be adequately updated for '08, but it should still remain competitive.

Let me assure you that the 08 escape is adequately updated. I also don't understand how SixCav can be concerned with the pricing on the Edge. Look at the pricing on the '07 Expedition. I doubt the base Edge is going to cross with the base Expedition. Let's be logical.

Let me assure you that the 08 escape is adequately updated. I also don't understand how SixCav can be concerned with the pricing on the Edge. Look at the pricing on the '07 Expedition. I doubt the base Edge is going to cross with the base Expedition. Let's be logical.

I've seen the new Escape and it is substantially newer...but quite a bit is recognizably carried over so there is some disappointment in what they didn't do. It certainly doesn't look as nice as the Edge. In fact, I'm not sure anybody interested in the Edge would also be interested in the new Escape, they are very different vehicles aesthetically and thematically.

When you like a vehicle, chances are it's because it has numerous attributes that are important to you. Yes, theres' always a vehicle which is, bigger (if you want that)...smaller (if you want that)...More powerful, more fuel efficient, better inteior, or better technology, better rebates, etc.etc.

Yeah there's a BMW thats a few thousands more, but I'm sure it lacks on many other levels, yeah there's a Rav4 with 3rd row seating, Yeah there's even the Explorer with more seating and available V8, etc.

Still, it's all about how the person likes the vehicle. I personally wouldn't even venture for a BMW X3..flimsy crappy little thing, but a good engine. The Edge is more inline with the Murano. Ford calls them "Crossovers"... I call this a "Personal Crossover". A bit more intimate and personal than a Freestyle per se....stylish like the Murano (but attractive)...

BUt again, this is all personal opinion and taste.

Guest Sixcav

Here's my take on it. Back in the recent hayday of selling big trucks and SUV's people didn't really raise the red flag about paying 35 or 40 grand for a loaded Expedition or a loaded F150. Have you looked at the slash and burn prices on those lately. They aren't selling. I think people didn't mind paying those prices because the thinking at the time was that they were getting large vehicles with large engines that were very durable and could carry a lot of people and a lot of things. Yeah you pay as much for an Expedtion as you did for a BMW sedan but your Expedition could carry more people, more comfortably, plus all their junk and a load of groceries at the same time. But those days are over boys and girls. Gas is bouncing around $3.00 a gallon and not coming down anytime soon. So now Ford has an Expedition that isn't selling well because it's expensive and uses an assload of gas. Fewer people will buy the F150 because it's expensive and uses and assload of gas, fleet sells will keep it afloat. The Freestyle doesn't sell well because it's expensive and why would I pay 27 or 28 grand for a Ford station wagon when I get a Volvo station wagon for the same price? The Focus isn't selling well becuase they've let it wither on the vine while the Civic and G6 kick it's ass. The Escape isn't selling well because it's an SUV and, well we already covered that. Additionally the styling of the Escape is getting old and people are not attracted to it anymore. The Explorer is in the same boat. It's an SUV, it's expensive, it uses an assload of gas and it should have been restyled a couple years ago. The Ranger should have been restyled 7 or 8 years ago and it doesn't sell well. So that leaves them with the Mustang and the Fusion. Now the Mustang isn't known for it's gas sipping motors and the Fusion is still so new that people are tentative about buying them. So what do they do? The come along with another expensive SUV? Hello? You can call it a crossover or whatever fancy marketing slogan you choose but when people look at this thing they see that it's an SUV. It's an SUV with an average price tag of somewhere around 30 grand. So they will add yet another expensive product to their line up that nobody will buy because why would I pay 30 grand for an SUV when I can get just as reliable transporation for the same price that uses less gas?

Hey man, if you want X Plan on this beast IM me, I'll hook you up. :)

Sixcav .... 1) Expedition Explorer, F150 are all in dwindling markets .. if yo ulook at Ford in Perspective of competitors and stop ignoring the on purpose, jsut to make a point that you want to make (regardles of how spuroious it is) then you will see that BOF was taken as hip alternative to Minivans, and now they lost their "cool" aspect, and only people who need them buy them .. Sure ford made mistakes, but even if they dod not, this market would be falling.

2) Ranger - no contest - needs upradting

3) escape - escape is holding Flat agains a mouch improved ocmpetitor, as it is waiting for a release of its new generation. Rav4 outsold it in July, but YTD Escape is still the best selling small crossover SUV. and that is in the last year of its cycle.

4) I do not see how you can expect Edge to fail, when vehicles like Murano, B9-Trib, and crap load of other crossovers are GROWING in sales .. heck Crossovers just passed SUV's in sales and will YTD. It is expensive, but it uses craload less gass than an Explorer, and it is Hip ... if we know one thing, it is that people buy hip vehicles ... Edge is one of the cool kids on the block

5) Freestyle has been minstanaged - I am waiting to see what the new management wil ldo with it comespring, but the only reason Freestyle is not sellling is its couple gripes (bad engine) and lack of marketing (or misfit marketing). Volvo might ovver V70/XC70 with 3rd ro seats - but did you ever sit in one? I did - and was happy the trip lasted only about 10 blocks.

6) lay pof fcomparing 3series to Edge .... they do not even compete in the same sport. Those that want a sub-midsize RWD performance sedan or wagon, with 25mpg will buy a Bimmer. Those that want a V6 FEW/AWD suv-type vehicle with 25mpg, will buy an Edge ... Like your comparison of Freestyle and V70 - this is completely spurious.

I am failing completely to see your point besides - the prices on the pre-build are to high, nad Ford will lose sales if it keeps the MSRP that high. And I agree - beyond that .. you lost your mind.

Igor

Your right i got ahead of myself, it outdated is what i should have said, it should have been replaced last year.

Your right i got ahead of myself, it outdated is what i should have said, it should have been replaced last year.

do you remember how long the last Oddysey was on the market? check it out . it may surprise you.

Class leading vrehicles usually have more leeway in how badly they need a redesign.

Igor

Guest Sixcav

Igor

I'll compare whatever I like to whatever else I like ok? That ok with you? Goodie. That fact of the matter is when people set out to buy a new car they have a general idea in mind. They may say "I want to buy an SUV." and end up in a hatchback civic. Happens all the time. The reason it happens is because people have to buy a car that fits their monthly budget. Keep in mind that the vast majority of people that buy cars do not visit car websites to talk about them. It's just transportation. We here are what you might call enthusiats about cars so when we set out to buy a sports car or a pick-up, that's what we get. But that's not the case for most people. It's just a means of getting around for them and so while they might like to have an SUV or a particular SUV for that matter it also has to fit in their budget and when it doesn't they go look at something else. Fitting into the budget also means more than just the monthly payment. You have to figure in how much the insurance will cost you, how much it will cost you in gas and so on. So when I set out to compare an Edge to a BMW its perfectly rationale. A prospective buyer might be standing there thinking "Gee, this Ford Edge is 32 grand. Hell for that sort of money I can go get a nicely appointed beamer 3 series. Yeah! Fuck this Ford POS, I'm gettin the beamer." And that's how simple it is. If you don't think that sort of thing happens all the time you live in a dream world. People buy the best car they can that still fits in their budget, period. Ford is not considered by the masses to be an upscale car. So when Ford slaps upscale prices on their cars people start thinking, "Gee if I'm gonna pay that kinda money I might as well get the BMW or the Audi as opposed to this damn Ford." If people could have purchased an Expedition sized BMW SUV for 35 grand back in the day you can bet they would have opted for it over the Ford. I'm not saying that the Ford isn't just as reliable or even more reliable. I'm just saying its about perception you know. As evidence I offer the Freestyle. Nothing wrong with the Freestyle, except the price. You know damn well people get to the lot and see the prices on those Freestyles and think "Yeah right, not for a V6 Ford station wagon I'm not." and then they go buy the Volvo. That's reality Igor, that's how it happens everyday and we all know it. Finally let me just say that we all make typos here and there. None of us are perfect. But damn dude that last post of yours is just laden with them. Edit that damn thing willya'?

^^^You made me laugh ...

I will not say that there wil be NO ONE that would do this. I know of people that come to a dealer, and want to buy an SUV and and up in a Car ... ir go buy a Cobalt and drive off in the colorado..

However, I still believe (note the reference to "I" and "Believe" - meaning, that I am not going to contest your own belives) is that this is a minority - if a person wants an SUV, a Civic will not do .. Heck if thye want an SUV a bimmer will not do . the same mileage, no towing, less cargo space, and dealer once every 500 miles in the heartland, and once every 100 miles on the coasts / in the cities - I doubt that shift will happen. What will happen more often is people realize that they can keep their 4 year old Exlporer and save money, or buy a used one and save money etc ...

However - neither you nor me have any data to know how numerous any moves like these are - and what spurs them .. so it really just rests on mine and your belief ...

Igor

Edited by igor