GM hires Infiniti chief to runs its Cadillac brand

blwnsmoke

A couple points made regarding a recipe for fixing Cadillac have already been put in place by Ford in its Lincoln subsidiary. Lincoln is a couple years ahead of Cadillac based on this set of principles.

"Cadillac dealers on Friday said the brand needs two things to succeed: Consistency of leadership and the opportunity to function as a stand-alone entity within GM.

Howard Drake, owner of Casa de Cadillac in Sherman Oaks, California, and a member of Cadillac's national dealer council, said the brand needs "its own team, its own resources, its own profit and loss accountability.""

I'm not sure incurring a loss would bother GM? I have always been under the impression that the only metric GM is concerned about is the monthly sales table. The problem with Cadillac is BMW and Mercedes outsell the brand, hence, bigger discounts should take care of the problem.

So the solution to not making profit is to lose even more?

Hiding the brand's true fiscal performance leads to poor business decisions. At some point Cadillac has to add profits or there is no (rational) point in keeping them.

In Mulally's first meeting the division heads shared redacted financial results. They said they never shared that info with each other. He reminded them they all work for Ford (and him) and that next week they better show up with real numbers and without the book of hundreds of power points and spreadsheets. He also questioned why they would continue to sell vehicles that lose money.

Barra needs to ask the same questions.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

So the solution to not making profit is to lose even more?

Hiding the brand's true fiscal performance leads to poor business decisions. At some point Cadillac has to add profits or there is no (rational) point in keeping them.

Oops, sorry my friend, I did it to you again. I was simply being sarcastic.

Truth is GM angers me and has done so for as long as I can recall. They MUST be #1 all the time or else the world is entirely out of syncronization.

In summary, I was illustrating the GM perspective on what it takes to make a company successful.

(edited for better readability)

Edited by AlRozzi

The Q50 was the G; the Q60 was the M, what's the Q70 then? I don't think they had 3 sedans did they?

The QX50 was the EX, the QX70 was the FX, and the QX80 was the QX56. Not sure what the QX60 was.

You're right. Have no idea which is which lol

In the past year, ALL of their models have been renamed Q-something: Q50, Q60, Q70, QX50, QX60, QX70, QX80. Don't ask me to tell you which is which, cuz I have no idea.

Yes, I know that, see the second post in this thread. Why start each model with Q? Why not G, or M, or Mk? My assumption is Q harkens back to the Q45.

The Q50 was the G; the Q60 was the M, what's the Q70 then? I don't think they had 3 sedans did they?

The QX50 was the EX, the QX70 was the FX, and the QX80 was the QX56. Not sure what the QX60 was.

The Q50 was the G; the Q60 was the G coupe, the Q70 is the M. Only 2 sedans at the moment. I doubt a third is on the way soon.

The suv/cuv lineup is QX50 was the EX, QX60 was the JX, QX70 was the FX. QX80 was the QX56/ Nissan Patrol based truck.

I'd assume the Q70 is the new large sedan. But yeesh, talk about solving a problem that didn't exist. Not to mention really pissing off all the members of the National G Club.

The Q50 was the G; the Q60 was the G coupe, the Q70 is the M. Only 2 sedans at the moment. I doubt a third is on the way soon.

The suv/cuv lineup is QX50 was the EX, QX60 was the JX, QX70 was the FX. QX80 was the QX56/ Nissan Patrol based truck.

Right! I forgot about the G coupe and JX. Thanks for clarifying that (I was too lazy to look it up).

...Don't ask me to tell you which is which, cuz I have no idea.

...You're right. Have no idea which is which lol

having seen them... I don't care

& I liked early M's so much it was upsetting...

Oh heavens, the last thing Cadillac needs (probably) is its own P&L. If GM execs knew the true state of Caddy, they might blanch, faint, or come down with a fit of the vapors.

if vapors can be fatal, that'd be nice silver lining

According to Infiniti, they didn't want to continue the old naming schemes with engine displacements and they already owned the rights to Qnn and QXnn so that's what they decided to use.

And people think Lincolns MK scheme was confusing.

^ & ^^ otoh

if they rename the MKS's replacement (MKT too)

that'd leave

MKZ = longest remaining "MK-series"

MKX = middle length

MKC = smallest

with room for a whitespace vehicle & Letter between the X & C...

Edited by 2b2