Social Security running out of $$$ again......

You forgot to mention that led by one of the Republican Super Stars, Senator Ted Cruz, they caused the Federal Government shut down that simply (added) to our National Debt, proved and accomplished (Zero), other then doing some idiotic grandstanding, the equivalent to an Adult food fight!

Really? You want to go there?

They didn't cause the shutdown. They were not the ones who continued to overspend and increase the national debt and refused to do anything about it for years. All they had to do was agree to balance the budget so that we didn't have to raise the debt ceiling yet again in another year or two.

Do you honestly think it's ok to just keep raising and raising the debt limit? Do you know how much it's costing YOU (and me and everyone else) in interest payments alone? If you were bringing home $50K/yr but spending $60K/yr and you maxed out your VISA at $20K debt, is the solution to ask for a credit limit increase on your VISA so you can keep going deeper in debt?

When you knowingly ignore an urgent situation for years and then ask for an emergency action based on the fact that dire things will happen if you don't get what you want, that's extortion. And when the other side tries to call the bluff you blame them for the consequences.

Let's put the blame where it belongs - out of control spending by government the last 15 years. Not democrats or republicans - the government. Period.

• Like 1

Really? You want to go there?

They didn't cause the shutdown. They were not the ones who continued to overspend and increase the national debt and refused to do anything about it for years. All they had to do was agree to balance the budget so that we didn't have to raise the debt ceiling yet again in another year or two.

Do you honestly think it's ok to just keep raising and raising the debt limit? Do you know how much it's costing YOU (and me and everyone else) in interest payments alone? If you were bringing home $50K/yr but spending $60K/yr and you maxed out your VISA at $20K debt, is the solution to ask for a credit limit increase on your VISA so you can keep going deeper in debt?

When you knowingly ignore an urgent situation for years and then ask for an emergency action based on the fact that dire things will happen if you don't get what you want, that's extortion. And when the other side tries to call the bluff you blame them for the consequences.

Let's put the blame where it belongs - out of control spending by government the last 15 years. Not democrats or republicans - the government. Period.

It appears that you only see a "Spending" Issue. Increased "Revenues" are needed to provide needed and desired Government services unless you want to see Bridges collapse and return to driving on Unpaved Roads. Do you think the Nations Interstate Highway Program could be built "today" with the constant Battle Cry of "Cut, Cuts, and more Cuts"? Want to see the results of having low Taxes and a weak Central Government? Look at Haiti. Nice Infrastructure there, huh?

It appears that you only see a "Spending" Issue. Increased "Revenues" are needed to provide needed and desired Government services unless you want to see Bridges collapse and return to driving on Unpaved Roads. Do you think the Nations Interstate Highway Program could be built "today" with the constant Battle Cry of "Cut, Cuts, and more Cuts"? Want to see the results of having low Taxes and a weak Central Government? Look at Haiti. Nice Infrastructure there, huh?

Only if it were SO simple.

How much money has gone to other programs, like La Raza, that could have been better used to maintain those bridges?

If the government had a budget as small as a typical family, such wastes are easy to spot.

Government has, by design, become a behemoth, far too large, complicated, intertwined and obfuscated, to easily follow the tragic wastes and misappropriations and misdirections.

When your eligible for both Social Security and MediCare we will see if (you) will join the "give-me`s" or refuse (your) Entitlement in the effort to reduce the National Debt.

I will accept what I paid into based on the obligations placed on my income deductions.

What about those who draw without ever contributing. Will you accept less benefits so that they can have as good as you deserved for your toils and sacrifices?

I will accept what I paid into based on the obligations placed on my income deductions.

What about those who draw without ever contributing. Will you accept less benefits so that they can have as good as you deserved for your toils and sacrifices?

Good Point! I would consider your suggestion once Millionaires and Billionaires have the "Cap" removed on the Income they pay FICA and MediCare Taxes on too! There is no "Cap" on Federal Taxes, why on Social Security and MediCare Taxes? If you`d like to refuse Healthcare and Medical treatment for the un-insured and the under-insured through our MediCaid Programs, have a better solution other then letting them die a slow death Curbside? Single Payer Health Insurance, National HealthCare, Socialized Medicine, Never! Only of course if your (over) 65 and then, MediCare is fine. I got (mines) mentality.

Refusing to accept money that you paid into a retirement plan and a prepaid health insurance program is like refusing to take money out of your bank account because the bank was run badly.

Bet you don`t mind the Federal Governments (intervention) with Private Sector Banks with FDIC Insurance protecting your Assets from badly run Institutions after the 2008 fiasco.

Only if it were SO simple.

How much money has gone to other programs, like La Raza, that could have been better used to maintain those bridges?

If the government had a budget as small as a typical family, such wastes are easy to spot.

Government has, by design, become a behemoth, far too large, complicated, intertwined and obfuscated, to easily follow the tragic wastes and misappropriations and misdirections.

Tell me if you would, do you also take issue with the waste,fraud, and reckless overspending that the Defense Department also better described as our Department of War has attributed to? Ok for our Military Industrial Complex to be given a "Blank Check" to keep the World safe. Just ask Dick Cheney or our other Neocons and Warfare Queens that (never) wore the Uniform or served.

Tell me if you would, do you also take issue with the waste,fraud, and reckless overspending that the Defense Department also better described as our Department of War has attributed to? Ok for our Military Industrial Complex to be given a "Blank Check" to keep the World safe. Just ask Dick Cheney or our other Neocons and Warfare Queens that (never) wore the Uniform or served.

How often have you seen me defending the government and how it operates, in the real world, not on paper?

• Like 1

Nobody said that critical infrastructure should be cut. But if you think there are no places where spending needs to be cut you're dreaming. If you make $50K/yr but you're spending $100K, that's not a revenue problem that's a spending problem.

Balance the budget NOW before we get ourselves into debt any deeper and we can't dig ourselves out. Then IF you can manage to raise revenues THEN you can discuss raising spending. But there is no revenue fairy.

Do you know how much the national debt costs us right now? It's roughly $400B/year. Even if you balanced the budget now you have to reduce the debt to reduce those interest payments.

How can you possibly justify continuing to increase the debt (and the interest payments)?

YES. Spending is spending and it all needs to be cut.

FICA is capped because it's a defined benefit/defined contribution, at least in theory. If it wasn't capped and rich people kept paying into it then you'll simply end up paying them more on the back end when they retire and we're right back where we started from.

Unless you want to take that extra contribution and use it for something else in which case it's simply a new income tax.

Only in government is reducing proposed spending considered a cut when they actually spend more real dollars.

Regardless of your favorite political flavor no business on earth as we know it can survive when it spends more than dollars taken in.

Government is floating its tab on plastic so to speak and not reducing it shopping and spending habits.

The thread title says it all. SS has been dipped into becasue it was a nice chunk of money just sitting there and allocated for use years down the road. The sad part is in addition to the billions of dollars in direct taxes SS was a separate stand alone fund paid into by the working yet politicians could not keep their hands out of it.

Its pretty clear the spending is out of control and no one has any desire or consequences to adhere to a budget.

+1200 days and counting....

The same guy that says the bored is "secure" and thousands of kids walk over????

http://youtu.be/QG0stsk3Ljs

Ahh, another "compassionate" Christian following Jesus`s actions: "You were a stranger and (I) took you in". Everyone in America were Aliens and Refuges at one point with the (one) exception our Native Americans and the record shows how well we treated them. Remove the Statue of Liberty in NY Harbor and replace it with a Statute of Godzilla instead.

YES. Spending is spending and it all needs to be cut.

Here in the Sunshine State, Florida, led by Gov Rick (Lets Get To Work..Part-Time Minimum Wage Service Jobs) Scott, but, lets not get picky, he wants to (Gut) Citizens Homeowners Insurance, the State run Insurance issuer of last resort by uncapping what are already the highest Homeowner Insurance Premium rates in the Nation. Sure, High Hurricane risk, high Premiums, right? He figures, by encouraging more competition, "Free Marketplace" abolishing the Insurance Rate Commission, more Companies will be writing Policies, wrong! Existing Companies are shedding and dropping Policies yearly. Guess who Gov Scott has allowed to be insured by the State run Citizen Homeowners Insurance. Everyone living in Mega-Mansions that are situated Ocean Front. High Risk? Kinda, you think? Has Gov Scott initiated "Citizens" to (only) insure private owner occupied dwellings up to say an valuation Cap of say 500K, Nope! Citizens insures (un-insurable) Properties worth 10`s of millions of dollars where otherwise, these Millionaire and Billionaire Homeowners would need to purchase homeowners insurance on secondary and third market places like "Lloyds of London" etc at (much) higher Premiums. Just taking care of those that helped put you in Office. No surprise "Americans For Prosperity" and the billionaire Koch Brothers are in Florida (helping) Scott out with his re-election bid! "Spending is Spending and it (all) needs to be cut, right? Just like in the Classic Novel, "The Animal Farm", the Pig declares, "All Animals are created Equal, that is, but (some) are "more" equal then others. That includes, those "unfortunate" enough to be living in Ocean Front Mansions.

Ahh, another "compassionate" Christian following Jesus`s actions: "You were a stranger and (I) took you in". .

They broke the law by coming here illegaly, they could have (if their parents gave a shit about them) come here legally. We are not a refuse for what ever country they came from. You like them so much you take them in.

• Like 1

They broke the law by coming here illegaly, they could have (if their parents gave a shit about them) come here legally. We are not a refuse for what ever country they came from. You like them so much you take them in.

Actually they should send them to Hollywood.

Lots of celebrities with 30,000 + Sq. Ft. homes with few occupants.

I would feed, clothe , inoculate & give medical assistance to those needed then put them on a chartered flight back to their home nation.

I would also take the costs from the foreign aid money to offset the costs of doing so.

Our immigration laws still work, its just not to some peoples liking.

Spoken much like former President George W Bush. I assume you classify yourself (also) as a Compassionate Conservative"?

Name calling and racial comments cannot solve either Budget nor Social Security funding nor spending issues (but) it has everything to do with Political posturing. Without some sort of shared sacrifice with reasonable balance (not equally, of course) between the "Halves" and the "Have Nots", no solutions will be achievable.