Chrome Clad Wheels are Plastic Covers!

John 316

Had the same experience with these wheels when I bought my truck, a base Lariat was the only way to get a real aluminum rim. Who in there right mind would pay more for a cheap looking plastics hub cap? Reminds me of the autozone crap wheel covers.

For the 5000th time - the plating is real chrome and it will outlast chrome plated steel - no pitting and its lighter.

For the 5000th time - the plating is real chrome and it will outlast chrome plated steel - no pitting and its lighter.

I could care less if it outlasts improperly maintained aluminum rims, it still looks very cheap on 50-60K trucks. If they weren't so concerned with cost cutting the alcoa alloys from the 90's and early 00's would have never disappeared.

• Like 1

I could care less if it outlasts improperly maintained aluminum rims, it still looks very cheap on 50-60K trucks. If they weren't so concerned with cost cutting the alcoa alloys from the 90's and early 00's would have never disappeared.

Doesn't look cheap at all to me. Had them on a 2008 Edge for 6 years and they still looked brand spanking new.

• 2 years later...

I completely agree with you on the excessive cost of your new "clad" wheels. You could have easily bought aftermarket rims to replace the base wheels that came with the truck, then sold those wheels on e-bay or CL etc. and been money ahead with wheels that you really liked and wanted. Here is another issue you will have with your Clads. Be very careful not to let any foreign matter come between the cladding and the actual wheel underneath. These overlays are put on with adhesive tape.

Even a little moisture that freezes can cause a very minor separation of the cladding and the base wheel which can cause the center lug nut cap to become loose and separate from the wheel. Ford has been having this issue since they started using this type of 'chrome' wheel almost 10 years ago. They still have not done right by their customers and fixed this issue or offered an improved version to address this problem. They just expect you to fork out $80 every time you lose one.

Thinking back to my 95 F150 SC. Ford wanted almost $600 to upgrade to a slightly larger tire. I said no way and took the truck with the stock tires. Drove to a local tire dealer, got the tires I wanted mounted and balanced for just over $500. I then sold my new tires with 25 miles on them for $350. Net cost to get the nicer tires-$150. A savings of $450.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, A post almost three years old raises from the dead.

I won't buy the Chrome package because I don't care for the clad wheels.

I always buy my trucks with the cheapest wheels/Tires ford puts on and then I drive over to the Tire store and Put on what I like.

I sell the "Take Offs" online.

If you figure that I saved $1500 on the Chrome Wheels and upsized tires from Ford, Plus sold the OEM tires online for $1000 I'm only $200-$300 difference from the custom wheels.

I don’t think they’re still using the chrome clad wheels.

Yes sir, Ford to its credit no longer offers chrome clad aluminum wheels on F-150 or Super Duty. Good riddance! The chrome look wheels currently offered on F-Series use physical vapor deposition (PVD) to apply a shiny powder coat to the aluminum wheel surface itself. They are lighter and more durable than traditional chrome plated wheels. No cheap looking plastic cladding either.

Some GM, Ram, and Nissan pickup trucks still offer chrome clad aluminum wheels. Don't know how much longer though. Chrome clad aluminum wheels seem to be a fad from the late 2000s and early 2010s.

• 2 weeks later...

OR..If your wife gets too close to a curb :rant2:

But that's still YOUR fault somehow.......

Why do women like to park next to or in between other cars or next to curbs when there are open spaces with nothing around them just 10 or 20 feet away? That drives me CRAZY! That's exactly how she scratched the new MKX 21s and gouged out a tiny piece of the tire sidewall.

• Like 1

But that's still YOUR fault somehow.......

Why do women like to park next to or in between other cars or next to curbs when there are open spaces with nothing around them just 10 or 20 feet away? That drives me CRAZY! That's exactly how she scratched the new MKX 21s and gouged out a tiny piece of the tire sidewall.

this is exactly why I avoid parallel parking at all costs

• 1 month later...

I understand your frustration! I think I'd be set aback myself if I paid that much for plastic. But, as many have said, they seem to work ok. I myself like the standard King Ranch wheels and couldn't see any reason to "upgrade" to a different wheel that would have been bigger as well resulting in even more expensive tires when replacement time comes around. Anyhow, thanks for the warning. I know what not to order in the future.

Harry