What is a CD6 ?

theoldwizard

What chassis is the new Chinese Taurus?

The current mid sizers are due to be replaced, eventually, not like GM keeping W body around for 30 years. So CD6 sounds like next generation.

Don't see larger RWD only sedans making a huge comeback, with top line German cars being AWD. Police now like SUV's, too.

What chassis is the new Chinese Taurus?

The current mid sizers are due to be replaced, eventually, not like GM keeping W body around for 30 years. So CD6 sounds like next generation.

Don't see larger RWD only sedans making a huge comeback, with top line German cars being AWD. Police now like SUV's, too.

Yes the chinese Taurus will continue as a CD4 platform while in america the Taurus will be discontinued. It is being replaced by a unnamed Lincoln equivalent which is to be on the new CD6. The explorer is being put on CD6 along with an unnamed Lincoln Equivalent, the mustang is being moved to CD6 and it is undecided what to do with the fusion at this time. It will either stay where it is or be moved to a CD6 platform. Now keep in mind the first car to roll out on CD6 is the explorer and that is not scheduled until 2020 or late 2019 as the 2020 year model. Then others are slowly going to be moved onto the platform with time.

Edited by Tbakker044

Yes the chinese Taurus will continue as a CD4 platform while in america the Taurus will be discontinued. It is being replaced by a unnamed Lincoln equivalent which is to be on the new CD6. The explorer is being put on CD6 along with an unnamed Lincoln Equivalent, the mustang is being moved to CD6 and it is undecided what to do with the fusion at this time. It will either stay where it is or be moved to a CD6 platform. Now keep in mind the first car to roll out on CD6 is the explorer and that is not scheduled until 2020 or late 2019 as the 2020 year model. Then others are slowly going to be moved onto the platform with time.

just-imho

the Fusion/Mondeo & direct sibling-Fords (S-Max,Edge) move to the coming A.M.P platform

along with Focus/direct sibling-Fords/descendants

just-imho

the Fusion/Mondeo & direct sibling-Fords (S-Max,Edge) move to the coming A.M.P platform

along with Focus/direct sibling-Fords/descendants

In america the Fusion is currently a CD4 platform and Ford is undecided whether to keep it CD and therefore it would be brought up to the CD6 platform, or if the are going to move it to a C platform. It is either going to C4 or to CD6, there's not really any other options for it. The edge I believe is being moved to CD6 also. Ford is moving down to two platforms for all of their cars. All ford cars will be either C or CD platform. It may take a few years to get everything switched over to their respective platform but it is what Ford has planned.

In america the Fusion is currently a CD4 platform and Ford is undecided whether to keep it CD and therefore it would be brought up to the CD6 platform, or if the are going to move it to a C platform. It is either going to C4 or to CD6, there's not really any other options for it. The edge I believe is being moved to CD6 also. Ford is moving down to two platforms for all of their cars. All ford cars will be either C or CD platform. It may take a few years to get everything switched over to their respective platform but it is what Ford has planned.

Is the next gen C platform going to be that flexible? I'm not sure how much farther they can stretch that out to fit under a Fusion.

if they're going to just 2 platforms,

BOTH imho will have to be more flexible than Ford has developed before afaik.

Just think the Fundeo/MKZ is a good place to split

ie similar size but Ford on A.M.P and the Lincoln on cD6

ie largest A.M.P -VS- smallest cD6

Edited by 2b2

Never heard of "A M P" platform.

I also could never understand how Taurus was going to move CD4 by simply stretching the wheelbase (especially since Ford already announce that there would be a stretched version of the current D3 MKS/Taurus for China).

The Taurus PI is not selling as well as the Explorer PI.because of lack of front and rear seat leg room. I have always thought that a stretched D3 MKS would sell well in the US and make a better platform for the PI Sedan.

Never heard of "A M P" platform.

A.M.P was mentioned on the "other forum"

I thought it sounded like a replacement for smaller-than-cD6 cars&Cuvs

and a 'broad-spectrum' electrification program

I also could never understand how Taurus was going to move CD4 by simply stretching the wheelbase (especially since Ford already announce that there would be a stretched version of the current D3 MKS/Taurus for China).

imho

whatEVER a FoMoCo-suit says is only valid for the DAY spoken

The Taurus PI is not selling as well as the Explorer PI.because of lack of front and rear seat leg room. I have always thought that a stretched D3 MKS would sell well in the US and make a better platform for the PI Sedan.

AGREE

I'd speculated about moving the MKS to the Flex/MKT's wlb in Oakville

• 1 year later...

It's always been quiet. Only public mention was an engineer's linkedin profile update and one media article (the one that called it D6 and said it was FWD/RWD/AWD capable). The first CD6 vehicles aren't due out for another couple of years.

Personally I think the CD6 architecture (not platform) will underpin Mustang, MKZ, Continental, Explorer and Aviator at least and possible another Ford sedan (Fusion or something else).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The real question is the CD6 now "officially" designation of the "stretched", RWD/AWD version of the S550 (Mustang) ?

Clearly much of the Powertrain is borrowed from the Mustang and F150 (10R80). This Powertrain is also used in the Ranger and likely Bronco (is this still called the T6?). I do wonder how many other major components are going to be shared between S550, CD6 and the T6(?). Brakes, transfer case, etc ?