Bring back the Sport Trac as the F100 !

theoldwizard

Ford has said 100 times that there will be no global Ranger in the US. Fine. Let's think out of the box !

We also know that Ford is in the early design stages of the next generation Explorer and that it will be smaller and likely built on the CD (Mondeo/Fusion) platform, So another "top hat" would be relatively simple, right ?!!! The tiny "box" that the Sport Trac had is adequate for "soccer moms" and DIYers (it has to be able to handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood laid flat, even if it sticks out the back)

An Explorer Sport Trac/F100 would have to overcome the stigma of unibody and FWD/AWD, Plus if that platform goes to aluminum, it would flex more and possibly bend (not that anyone is thinking of off-roading an Explorer).

But here is more "out of the box thinking" ! What if they went to an aluminum body and a steel frame, same as the F150 !! Sticl with the FWD so the front suspension and powertrain installation are the same as Fusion. Mount the rear suspension to a subframe that just happens to be connected to the front subframe !!! Powertrain chpices would be carry over from Fusion.

As crazy as this sounds, it IS logical !!

Something many of us passed over (at least I did) was that at least 200 of the 700 lb savings on the F150 was from lightening the frame and other components. So the idea of a body on frame is not so crazy ! The fully boxed tube frame and hydroformed pieces like in the F150 would be overkill, Keep it simple.

Probably too logical for Ford to implement

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

So instead of a ranger based off the transit.... you have a ranger based off the Explorer.... well

then you got your FWD/AWD Unibody pickup right there, throw in the 'ole ecoboost and have fun.

Exactly!!! Years ago when the Sportrac still existed, I contemplated buying one for quite a while. Ended up with an Explorer... but always like the idea. Same with the Chevy Avalanche and Honda Ridgeline, always liked those concepts.

• 1 month later...

IT was an attractive vehicle, good for many uses. And, I think it fills a gap nobody else is filling now. But as mentioned earlier, it needs to make volume sense for Ford to undertake it.

Also, I am conflicted on the idea of using the F100 name. It is a scary proposition whenever you approach a powerful brand. The value of the "F150" brand is incredible. Ford would want to step very carefully so as not to devalue their market leader. IF they new sprortrac were similar. ( Aluminum on steel frame, tough as hell and great as a small truck then it may be done. If it falls short in any respect, it could be disastrous.

But thats just my opinion.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I too would love to see the Sport Trac make a return.  I still love the design of them till this day and would buy a used one if I could find one in good shape with low enough miles near me. As the years go by that is more and more unlikely though. 

The rumored Maverick may be close to that concept. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:03 PM, JT84 said:

I too would love to see the Sport Trac make a return.  I still love the design of them till this day and would buy a used one if I could find one in good shape with low enough miles near me. As the years go by that is more and more unlikely though. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, sippy12 said:

As I understand Maverick is based on the Escape platform and Sporttrac based on the Explorer platform...so Maverick is smaller.

There's little need or justification to introduce a new Sport Trac with the Maverick and Ranger models available. Ford has their hands full with trying to meet customer demand and never before has stopped accepting retail orders so early because production is sold out for the 2022 Model Year.  

1 hour ago, sippy12 said:

As I understand Maverick is based on the Escape platform and Sporttrac based on the Explorer platform...so Maverick is smaller.

Not by much.  The old Explorer platform back in the day was smaller than current.

Sport Trac:

https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2005-Ford-Explorer+Sport+Trac-XLS__4dr_4x4/specs/

Front head room 39 "
Rear head room 39 "
Front shoulder room 56 "
Rear shoulder room 57 "
Front hip room 53 "
Rear hip room 53 "
Front leg room 42.4 "
Rear leg room 37.8 "

Ford Maverick:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2022/maverick/pdf/2022-Ford-Maverick-Technical-Specifications.pdf

Front head room 38.0 with moonroof  40.3 without"
Rear head room 39.5 "
Front shoulder room 57.3 "
Rear shoulder room 55.6 "
Front hip room 55.4 "
Rear hip room 54.1 "
Front leg room 42.8 "
Rear leg room

35.9 "

So only rear is lower slightly on a couple of numbers.  Otherwise Maverick is slightly bigger.  199.7 overall length for Maveric.  2005.9 for Sport Trac.

I am not sure why this old thread was brought back, but none of this discussion matters if you consider why it started in the first place...

"Ford has said 100 times that there will be no global Ranger in the US. Fine. Let's think out of the box !"

We don't need to think out of the box because the global Ranger is here now. Plus there is a Maverick slotted below it. The only reason Ford ever offered an Explorer Sport Trac in the first place was to offer a mid sized crew cab pickup. The Ranger fills that spot today.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...