2015 Mustang GT vs 2015 Camaro 1LE

I made this reply in the dyno thread... I'll copy it here.

From one person in the comments:

Ford's PR department sends an options bloated model to compete with the 1LE that offers none of those options, thus negating what could have been a weight advantage.

The 1LE is essentially Camaro's version of the Boss 302, an analogue to which Ford doesn't have out yet. It wasn't a straight-across comparison whether the Mustang had the track pack or not.

• Like 1

Perhaps. We'll see, won't we? Or you might be blinded by your rose colored glasses.

I dont think so, the 1LE isnt the mainstream REGULAR V8 Camaro....throw a flatpl;ane in that direction and we will see whos BOSS ( pun intended ). OPS, got our first yesterday, White Eco, 50th Anniversary appearance package....I actually smiled. Ive always said a good design will look good in White...it looks fantastic....Wheels on this car make a HUGE difference.

• Like 1

The 1LE is essentially Camaro's version of the Boss 302, an analogue to which Ford doesn't have out yet. It wasn't a straight-across comparison whether the Mustang had the track pack or not.

No it's not. The Z28 is the Boss 302 version. The 1LE is the GT competition.

• Like 3

No it's not. The Z28 is the Boss 302 version. The 1LE is the GT competition.

Since the Z/28 uses an entirely different, much more powerful engine than the SS and 1LE, I have to disagree here.

Mustang GT = Camaro SS

Mustang Boss 302 = Camaro 1LE

(nothing) = Camaro Z/28

Shelby GT500 = Camaro ZL1

I hope thats the reality Rich, in the meantime, irrespective that its a 1LE, people will gloss over that fact and unfortunately it will be veiwed as egg on fords face.

Its just normal human nature to shit on the newest thing or whatever and tear it down from its pedalistal

Since the Z/28 uses an entirely different, much more powerful engine than the SS and 1LE, I have to disagree here.

Mustang GT = Camaro SS

(nothing) = Camaro Z/28

So what is the difference between the SS and the 1LE?

Edited by coupe3w

The 2015 Camaro SS 1LE Performance Package

For more than two decades, both owners and enthusiasts have coveted the competition-ready third- and fourth-generation Camaro 1LE Performance Package. And it’s everything you’ve heard — combining the white-knuckle performance elements of ZL1 and SS with a decidedly aggressive attitude of its own.

The package includes:
  • 20" x 10" front and 20" x 11" rear aluminum wheels with a 10-spoke design from the ZL1TM and a low-gloss Black finish
  • 285/35ZR20 Goodyear® Eagle® F1 Supercar® Generation 2 performance summer tires, front and rear
  • FE6 Performance Ride and Handling suspension with specially tuned front and rear stabilizer bars for excellent body control and vehicle responsiveness
  • TREMEC® 6-speed manual transmission with a 3.91 final-drive axle ratio

--

From the horse's mouth. The 1LE is an add-on package to the SS. One is hard-pressed to understand how people have wanted the SS 1LE "for more than two decades"

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Weight ,MPG not improved, performance basically the same as the carryover, looks has not really Wowed anyone ...any buzz the car generated has been squashed by not managing the press and expectations...Classic over-promising and under delivering...Just this motor trend article is a PERFECT example of this...it effects perception...Performance is basically a wash...that is being generous...REALLY?? A totally brand-new Mustang cannot impress a wanting press with a 5 year old carryover Camaro?

Edited by ironhorse

Weight ,MPG not improved, performance basically the same as the carryover, looks has not really Wowed anyone ...any buzz the car generated has been squashed by not managing the press and expectations...Classic over-promising and under delivering...Just this motor trend article is a PERFECT example of this...it effects perception...Performance is basically a wash...that is being generous...REALLY?? A total brand-new Mustang is cannot impress the wanting press with a 5 year old carryover Camaro?

I don't really have a horse in this race (get it? Haha), but I'll say when did they "over promise?" Was it them "over promising," or was it really just overhyped by everyone expecting it to be sprinkled with magic fairy dust and achieve 40 mpgs while being faster and much more refined than the previous generation?

I think it seems like the biggest improvements they set out to accomplish with this model were a huge jump in refinement while increasing handling abilities while maintaining the typical pony car attributes. And from everything I've read, it seems like they've accomplished that. It's not Fords fault that people were expecting the moon because of the 50th anniversary. It's not as if the new one is complete garbage as some seem to be implying it is.

Plus, everyone in the media has seemed to fawn over the Camaro since its introduction for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Weight ,MPG not improved, performance basically the same as the carryover, looks has not really Wowed anyone ...any buzz the car generated has been squashed by not managing the press and expectations...Classic over-promising and under delivering...Just this motor trend article is a PERFECT example of this...it effects perception...Performance is basically a wash...that is being generous...REALLY?? A totally brand-new Mustang cannot impress a wanting press with a 5 year old carryover Camaro?

And the GT cost more.

Ford don't care about Motor Trend.

Remember this?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1105_three_row_crossover_suv_comparison/

We didn't like driving the Explorer very much. "Holy torque steer, Batman!" shrieked executive editor Edward Loh. "Why is this AWD beast pulling under wide-open throttle?" Because more so than any other vehicle here, the Explorer is primarily FWD, with power routed to the rear tires only when the fronts lose traction. Hence, massive, freaky, comical torque steer. The big Ford also rode worse than much of the competition. Says Williams, "The chassis needs some refinement to give it the level of sophistication and playfulness most of the others deliver." From my own notes: "Car feels wobbly at speed-not confidence inspiring."

We also had issues with the seating position. Considering its great width, one would think the Explorer would be spacious. But like the Taurus it's based on, it just isn't.

Then there was this: "An odd squeak has developed. Seems to be coming from right rear." A moment later, I'm on the walkie to associate online editor Scott Evans. "Sounds like something in the driver-side A-pillar is sizzling." He tells me it could be the airbag malfunctioning. Great. Mr. Loh piles on, "The squeaking from the rear and the zippery farting noise coming from the windshield only enhance the rattletrap nature of the Explorer." After poking around, we learn the head-splitting rear squeak is because of a poorly fitted rear-tire aerodynamic deflector spat. Both rear tire spats eventually failed, and the trim piece flew off on the freeway. Additionally, a front piece of bumper trim broke loose, and the MyFord Touch system shut down for about 60 seconds, taking away all climate, stereo, phone, and navigation controls before rebooting. Can all this be chalked up to the Explorer being an early pre-production vehicle? Ford assures us that's the case and all five flaws has been addressed or redesigned. Perhaps, but you know the old saying/shampoo commercial about not getting a second chance to make a first impression?

Followed by this justification:

But let me be clear about one final point. A properly sorted production 2011 Ford Explorer still would have finished in last place. It’s simply not as good as the competition.

And then THIS additional bit of defiant and angry rhetoric:

The V-6 powered Ford Explorer Limited is, in our considered and professional opinion, a disappointment.

They also tossed in this bit of wishful thinking:

Whether it (or the quality issues we encountered) will have any effect on the Explorer’s April numbers is anyone’s guess

Motor Trend doesn't matter.
  • Like 1

Mustang GT = Camaro SS

(nothing) = Camaro Z/28

Mustang GT = Camaro SS

Mustang GT w/ Performance package = Camaro SS w/ 1LE package

Eventually:

Mustang GT350 (?) = Camaro Z/28

Team Mustang better make some adjustments for the 2016 GT Performance package. Life won't get any easier once Alpha Camaro arives.