2015 Mustang GT vs 2015 Camaro 1LE

ZOMG

Ford sent Motor Trend a GT wearing all season tires?

And Motor Trend ran it up against an SS with the SS/1LE package including 10/11" high performance tires?

That is a truly *epic* troll, Ford. My hat's off to you.

"It doesn't matter! The 2015 Mustang is still the worst car built since the exploding-tank Pinto!"

Watched the video. For all if being loaded with luxury goodies and having street shocks/tires the Mustang was a tick ahead on the front half of their track and the REAL driver was heaping accolades on the shifter and motor. With track-oriented tires and shocks the same car probably runs even if not ahead.

Watched the video. For all if being loaded with luxury goodies and having street shocks/tires the Mustang was a tick ahead on the front half of their track and the REAL driver was heaping accolades on the shifter and motor. With track-oriented tires and shocks the same car probably runs even if not ahead.

Apparently, they did test performance pack vs. performance pack.

And, apparently, I should spend more time watching Motor Trend crap.

Edited by RichardJensen

Am I missing something? I'm watching the "head 2 head" video and it stated the Mustang they are testing has the Performance Pack with upgraded tires. The reviewer kept going on about how the Performance Pack on the Camaro was so much better then the Performance Pack on the Mustang. He really did not like driving the Mustang in comparison to the Stillborn Hippopotamus Camaro.

I thought maybe the track test may have used a different setup, but the driver (when driving the Mustang) even said "It's a lot softer then the Camaro, even though this has the Performance Pack".

What are you guys watching that I'm missing?

ZOMG

Ford gave Motor Trend a GT wearing all season tires?

And Motor Trend ran it up against an SS with the SS/1LE package including 10/11" high performance tires?

That is a truly *epic* troll, Ford. My hat's off to you.

I mean... I just...........

I *knew* that the GT didn't have the performance pack, which already put it one down to the Camaro.

But I had no idea that they didn't even upgrade the tires over standard equipment.....

Wow.

That's just awesome. That's Ford saying, "Here. This is a base GT loaded with gadgets. You're going to run it against a ringer from GM, and *we* *don't* *care*"

I don't know what video you watched. The GT had the PP with all the upgrades Ford offers including the Pirelli Y speed rated tires, 3.73 gears, upgraded springs and shocks. Ford's PP doesn't compare to the Camaro 1LE package. I hope the GT 350 does better.

Edited by coupe3w

Re: anything with an Ecoboost and an auto... In the past my assometer says that at about 75% throttle it pulls harder than WOT. At redline it falls apart, but keep any of them, Fusion, pickup, Escape, whatever in the sweet spot the TORQUE feels like a freight train. I would imagine that the Mustang would be no different.

Am I missing something? I'm watching the "head 2 head" video and it stated the Mustang they are testing has the Performance Pack with upgraded tires. The reviewer kept going on about how the Performance Pack on the Camaro was so much better then the Performance Pack on the Mustang. He really did not like driving the Mustang in comparison to the Stillborn Hippopotamus Camaro.

I thought maybe the track test may have used a different setup, but the driver (when driving the Mustang) even said "It's a lot softer then the Camaro, even though this has the Performance Pack".

Didn't watch the video --- I -effing- HATE websites that make you watch videos. Went by the article's content.

I don't know what video you watched. The GT had the PP with all the upgrades Ford offers including the Pirelli Y speed rated tires, 3.73 gears, upgraded springs and shocks. Ford's PP doesn't compare to the Camaro 1LE package. I hope the GT 350 does better.

I read the article, which was ambiguous. As I said, I HATE "watch this video" content:

http://www.theonion.com/video/christ-article-a-video,36101/

So the takeaway is a Camaro with stiffer shocks, summer tires and 1.2L more displacement is no faster than a Mustang with a few hundred pounds of extra equipment in a straight line and only faster at the track by less than 2 seconds.

Might as well cancel the thing. It will never sell.

This obviously isn't Ford's track mustang. They're playing possum. Not that it really matters.

• Like 1

I'm watching a video where the Camaro has better tires, better shocks, and a more aggressive gear ratio and the Mustang is ahead for half the track, might have run even or won on a track that doesn't have that huge top corner. Sure, the GT PP is not as much of an upgrade to the GT as the 1LE is to the 1SS, its pretty clear the PP is not a Track Pack in disguise as some had hoped. But if the Mustang were sitting on 10" wide Eagle F1 Supercar G2s and better shocks like the 1LE is then its a whole different outcome. And on another day, the information that GT PP beats the 1LE on the 1/4 mile even with the tire and gear disadvantage would get more notice.

As for the reviewer, I don't give a crap what Carlos thinks. Most places not named Motor Trend have made it clear this Mustang drives a lot better than the old, Autoblog video a couple weeks ago was nothing short of effusive in its praise, and he's trying to make it seem like it handles just last year's car with a different axle. Randy was having a blast in the Mustang, his opinion carries a lot more weight of the two to me.

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is Ford's PP is not as good as GM's 1LE package on the track. Now, is Ford's PP easier to live with on the street? Absolutely. So if you want a car you can enjoy every day and a blast to drive get the Mustang GT with PP. If you want to get your kidneys all shook up and some back pain get the Camaro SS with the 1LE package or drive it on the track like it was intended.

The fact of the matter is Ford's PP is not as good as GM's 1LE package on the track. Now, is Ford's PP easier to live with on the street? Absolutely. So if you want a car you can enjoy every day and a blast to drive get the Mustang GT with PP. If you want to get your kidneys all shook up and some back pain get the Camaro SS with the 1LE package or drive it on the track like it was intended.

Right. It costs more and performs better. You can put summer tires on the mustang and get pretty much the same performance on the track (maybe with a shock upgrade too).

But we all know that Ford has at least one if not two better performing mustangs slotted above the GT which (pricewise) would be more in line with the 1LE SS.

In the end though this only matters to internet bench racers and fanboi fights.

mmm,brand new stang and its not looking too good.Why they still fail to use better tires is beyond me.They should have given it the 450hp,with the best tires they could use,then they really could have made a better impact,BUT,i wonder if they would have sent out a stripped down mustang pp,that was just plain what the results would have been?it is possible the mustang would have won that.randy is a gm guy,and i think he slid the mustang around more so than needed. :nonono:

Why they still fail to use better tires is beyond me.They should have given it the 450hp,with the best tires they could use,then they really could have made a better impact....

Because ford knows their customers better. They know that most people who buy a mustang are never going to use it for racing or really push it to its limits. They know the people that do are more than happy to soup it up aftermarket (even sometimes through ford). How does it fiscally make sense for Ford to cater to the few when they need volume, so they go for what makes sense for the everyday consumer, both cost and performance wise.

Besides, to beat a dead horse here, the average consumer could not care less about a MT or C&D comparison article.

mmm,brand new stang and its not looking too good.Why they still fail to use better tires is beyond me.They should have given it the 450hp,with the best tires they could use,then they really could have made a better impact,BUT,i wonder if they would have sent out a stripped down mustang pp,that was just plain what the results would have been?it is possible the mustang would have won that.randy is a gm guy,and i think he slid the mustang around more so than needed. :nonono:

Ah, a conspiracy theory.

(Full disclosure: I briefly wondered the same thing. :drop: :fear: )