Be careful when considering a Ford w/ Active Park Assist!!

I believe it. I have had customers complain that their hub caps all don't face the same direction after a tire rotation. They insisted we set all them with the emblem up.

Common sense isn't so common.

After you get them all set the same way do you tell them to make sure they don't take any corners on the way home?

• Like 1

Have you had any body work or bumper repair? Does the sensor on the right side of the front bumper look to be locked in compared to left side?

Nope to the first one, yes to the second. It's done this since the first month I've had it.

Please forgive me, but what happened to doing it yourself? If you have to keep shifting forward and reverse anyway, the only EXTRA thing the driver has to do is steer. Using your exterior mirrors will assist you. Sometimes I can do it one shot, other times it might take some jockeying if it's really tight. I will NEVER trust my life in a car where a computer controls my maneuvers! I don't care how many sensors and cameras a car has, your eyes are the most reliable!

• Like 1

Please forgive me, but what happened to doing it yourself? If you have to keep shifting forward and reverse anyway, the only EXTRA thing the driver has to do is steer. Using your exterior mirrors will assist you. Sometimes I can do it one shot, other times it might take some jockeying if it's really tight. I will NEVER trust my life in a car where a computer controls my maneuvers! I don't care how many sensors and cameras a car has, your eyes are the most reliable!

I think his point is that this system he paid for should work. Plus we are talking about parallel parking not merging onto highways at speed. Other than some small damage , I doubt any risk to your life is present if something goes wrong. Also, that's why you control the brake and accelerator.

The accelerator consists of two potentiometers that operate in parallel and are connected to the computer by 6 wires. The computer determines how much power is needed and where it will come from. The car is "fly-by wire".

Correct. However the sensor voltages mirror each other. One goes up and one goes down. If either stray the default strategy is forced idle.

Even more scary is hybrids are brake by wire with failure mode is opening valves making it a normal manual brakes.

Keep in mind the failure rate is low from what I have seen.

I think his point is that this system he paid for should work. Plus we are talking about parallel parking not merging onto highways at speed. Other than some small damage , I doubt any risk to your life is present if something goes wrong. Also, that's why you control the brake and accelerator.

Correct. Considering my car still has parking sensors all around and a backup camera with guidance lines, parking it myself is quite easy. However, the fact that I paid extra for a feature that doesn't work correctly does not sit well with me, especially because it's one of the features that attracted me towards the car in the first place.

Correct. Considering my car still has parking sensors all around and a backup camera with guidance lines, parking it myself is quite easy. However, the fact that I paid extra for a feature that doesn't work correctly does not sit well with me, especially because it's one of the features that attracted me towards the car in the first place.

I definitely think you have a sensor issue. All the car magazines all have rated fords auto park very good and easy to use. I am willing to bet that right front bumper sensor is the culprit.

I bought a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium a few months back. First week I had it, I had to give my active park assist a try. I never read the manual. Only thing I knew was from this forum, that I had to signal a direction after hitting the button.

I was going a lot slower in my search for a spot than the video was showing. But I followed the directions and it was flawless. My wife sat in the back seat with her jaw dropped.

I would agree with the other posts. Try parking at a lot slower speed and just see what that does, and the left side test. If it's the same results, I would agree a sensor has to be off. You may want to find some secluded side road during off traffic hours so you can take your time testing it.

At the point where the vehicles' "Active Park Assist" stops I can only assume that the front sensors detect the car in front of you as too close and the system stops. Why it judged the space as "ok" in the first place is frustrating...

Of course, I learned to parallel park many years ago before all these fancy doo-dads were added to the cars...

My 2011 Mks parks itself perfectly every time. Puts itself perfectly in spots I would never dream of trying myself. This issue sure sounds like bad sensors on the Fusion.

Yeah, my mom has a 2013 Focus Ti with the Active Park Assist and hers parks perfectly every single time. Not once have I ever seen that car mess up. It goes back and forth a million times if it has to to straighten out the car. This was the dead giveaway that mine isn't working properly.

ours does this to. We were making a funny video with the wife taping and ...donk, we hit the curb. It worked the first time and then no go the next few times. I think it's a "gimmicky" tool because I back big trucks all day long, but her...she thinks it's cool even though she's never used it in a real situation before :headspin:

While I can parallel park just fine, the active park on my Escape definitely gets me in smaller spaces than I would attempt on my own. It's also usually faster than me doing it myself. True story: I once drove by a space that I said the car would never fit in. Active park disagreed. I decided to go for it just for kicks. 27 direction changes later, I was in. Not exactly fast, but it was the only spot in sight. It was amazing how little room there was in front or behind of it!

While I can parallel park just fine, the active park on my Escape definitely gets me in smaller spaces than I would attempt on my own. It's also usually faster than me doing it myself. True story: I once drove by a space that I said the car would never fit in. Active park disagreed. I decided to go for it just for kicks. 27 direction changes later, I was in. Not exactly fast, but it was the only spot in sight. It was amazing how little room there was in front or behind of it!

Thats where the new Park Assist out feature comes in handy to get you out of the tiny space it got you in.

Freaks people out when I could parellel park without turning my head, just looking thru mirrors. Its a lost artform...of course the year I took my learners permit it was a requirement, then it was phased out the year after, but I do wish it was required once again. Near me is a cute little 'downtown' (Winter Park) area which is mainly parellel, and I grow frustrated with everyone must stop on the lane to watch someone TRY to park...then my Miami side comes out where I blare the horn when they take too long, then you see them slam the gas and run out from embarassment, but really, if you cant, just dont.