2016 Ford Explorer: New engine, new model, new logo.

Video of interior..

Platinum has all leather dash.. I love the instrument cluster!! Nice MFT BUTTONS on the center panel now.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ajpd3_2016-ford-explorer-platinum-edition-matt-zuehlk-explorer-brand-manager-with-bob-giles-newcarnews-tv_auto

I'm thinking... $55k for a Platinum.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

Video of interior..

Platinum has all leather dash.. I love the instrument cluster!! Nice MFT BUTTONS on the center panel now.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ajpd3_2016-ford-explorer-platinum-edition-matt-zuehlk-explorer-brand-manager-with-bob-giles-newcarnews-tv_auto

I'm thinking... $55k for a Platinum.

Oh yeah, something from the summary I left out...$50k+ for a Platinum, so you are close. :)

• Like 1

The 2.3 and base 3.5 will end up having similar hp numbers, but with the 2.3EB having a fatter power band. Will Ford do like they have with the Mustang and make the popular option packages only available with the 2.3?

Well that depends... Will they now offer the 2.3 with 4WD and will it have the 5,000 lb. towing package available? I know the 2.0 did not offer those things before. I'm guessing with the improved power they will offer these options with the 2.3 now, but we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: I did find the page with more info and it does appear you can now get 4WD with the 2.3, but it only says Cat II towing, so my guess is the 3.5 will still be available with most packages. If the 2.3 isn't rated for 5,000 lbs towing it must be a cooling or durability concern. Not sure.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I'll reserve judgment until I see more pictures, but something about that front end just doesn't seem quite right with the rest of the body.....but like I said, I'll wait to see more before giving full opinions.

I agree with you. It is just one pic, but from that pic, the current Explorer looks much more cohesive.

• Like 2

Pics, etc:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/11/19/ford-explorer-marks-25-years-of-innovation.html

cq5dam.web.1024.768.jpeg

Miscellaneous bullet points:

• Front and rear cameras with washers: Both front and rear cameras have wide-angle lenses and come equipped with a washer – an industry-first
  • Industry-exclusive 500-watt Sony Audio System: Explorer Platinum will be the first Ford vehicle to get an all-new 500-watt Sony Audio System with Live Acoustics and Clear Phase technology

The 2.3-liter EcoBoost is available on the base, XLT and Limited series. The new powerplant is expected to give customers 12.5 percent more horsepower and 11 percent more torque over the current 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine. It improves highway passing times 10 percent at speeds between 55 mph and 75 mph.

The 2.3-liter EcoBoost will deliver a noticeable improvement in horsepower and torque; while EPA results are not yet certified, no sacrifice in overall fuel efficiency is anticipated. The current Explorer is a gas mileage leader on the highway.

For the first time in a production Ford vehicle, a brushed aluminum Ford oval is centered on the steering wheel.

A newly refined, intelligent four-wheel-drive gauge display shows power being distributed to front and rear wheels under all conditions – from heavy four-wheel-drive system usage to when the system is not transmitting power at all – for improved efficiency.

---

Comments:

Platinum edition is clearly a response to the high-end buyers that Ford is seeing on this product.

Front grille/headlights really remind me of the Adrenaline concept.

• Like 1

After seeing more pictures of it from different angles, I like it better now than that initial shot we saw.

Look at the red one Richard posted... Now that's an Explorer! I also think the old Escape style tail lights really work with the front. Somehow the Explorer just became "tougher" and for those of us who still prefer the SUV style over the swoopy minivan look I'd say Ford did very well.

Nope, they took it down. I did get to read it before it went down. Summary:

1) New Platinum with 3.5L EB

2) New LED headlights (maybe only on Platinum)

3) Blue Oval on Platinum is not blue (not sure if just platinum or other models as well)

4) 2.3L EB now available

It is about time they took that 2.0L out of the Explorer ! It was a RIDICULOUS idea, only implemented to satisfy a promise that Ford management made before the uni-body Explorer was launched. I'm guess they did not know at the time how much of a PIG (over-weight) the new vehicle would be !

I can't wait until that put that vehicle on a SERIOUS diet !

The 2.0L was a EU designed engine, which is considered the "center of excellence" for 4 cylinder engines.. I wonder how much the US engineers, especially those from the Mustang group, influenced the 2.3L ? A big departure for any of the other current 4 cylinder engines.

Edited by theoldwizard

Getting??

From my experience the average Blue Oval readers are wealthier then the average person. I'm not saying all, but there are several here who are not bothered at all with very high prices. With that said, this won't be a volume trim level, but it gives those with a Mercedes or BMW an SUV to park next to it. The volume model will still be the XLT.

After more information on the Platinum I just don't see the point in Lincoln. The Platinum is everything a Lincoln Explorer could be.