2016 Ford Explorer: New engine, new model, new logo.

It will really help for climate control for folks who just have to fiddle with the controls instead of using the auto temp control.

My 2013 Titanium Fusion has the touch control for the moonroof (changed a few months later to real buttons). It's cool but it's hard to tell if you've activated it or not - you just have to wait and see what it does. I'd rather have buttons.

Well a Sport is low $50k with all options so figure a 2-3k premium.. getting expensive!!

We have been through this before... The current Explorer is significantly cheaper than the first gen once you adjusted for inflation. The original Eddie Bauer model from 1986 is priced way above where Limited is today. The New Platinum model is roughly the same price wise as the Eddie Bauer was but with tons more feature and much more power.

Seems like Ford regressed on the styling on it, I'm not sure what to think of the grill on it..not sure if I like it or not...it reminds me alot of the 2002 Explorer (then again that isn't a bad thing since that was one of the best looking Explorers ever made)

2002-ford-explorer-eddie-bauer-4x4-photo

I'll have to send it over to the wife and see if she likes it...she likes boxy CUV's

The 2015 looks great. When I saw the camoed 2015 Explorer pics I posted it looked like a Freestyle, but looking at the actual 2015 Explorer vs. the Freestyle is just Exhibit #1 at how much better Ford's Car Designs have gotten. Its like the difference between a Range Rover and one of those black market Chinese Knockoffs http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/jac-4r3-picture-2.html or a KIA .......

It is about time they took that 2.0L out of the Explorer ! It was a RIDICULOUS idea, only implemented to satisfy a promise that Ford management made before the uni-body Explorer was launched. I'm guess they did not know at the time how much of a PIG (over-weight) the new vehicle would be !

I can't wait until that put that vehicle on a SERIOUS diet !

The 2.0L was a EU designed engine, which is considered the "center of excellence" for 4 cylinder engines.. I wonder how much the US engineers, especially those from the Mustang group, influenced the 2.3L ? A big departure for any of the other current 4 cylinder engines.

or maybe someone at ford was reading comments from certain BON members....the 2.0 was just a mistake, plain and simple, its fine in the Edge, the Explorers additional curbweight KILLED it....

The 2016 looks great. When I saw the camoed 2016 Explorer pics I posted it looked like a Freestyle, but looking at the actual 2016 Explorer vs. the Freestyle is just Exhibit #1 at how much better Ford's Car Designs have gotten. Its like the difference between a Range Rover and one of those black market Chinese Knockoffs http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/jac-4r3-picture-2.html or a KIA .......

FTFY

That was my first thought as well! You can definitely see the similarities, but the Explorer looks much more sophisticated.

Not just more sophisticated, but a much tougher looking vehicle that looks like an SUV and not a station wagon. Of course if you really look at how the Explorer is engineered underneath it not only has more ground clearance then the Freestyle, but it is quite a bit more robust. They actually made quite a few durability changes when it became the Explorer.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Not just more sophisticated, but a much tougher looking vehicle that looks like an SUV and not a station wagon. Of course if you really look at how the Explorer is engineered underneath it not only has more ground clearance then the Freestyle, but it is quite a bit more robust. They actually made quite a few durability changes when it became the Explorer.

Oh definitely, they are not even close to the same vehicle. Same platform? Sure, but there are a lot of changes to make it more SUV than wagon.

Nope, they took it down. I did get to read it before it went down. Summary:

1) New Platinum with 3.5L EB

2) New LED headlights (maybe only on Platinum)

3) Blue Oval on Platinum is not blue (not sure if just platinum or other models as well)

4) 2.3L EB now available

Press release says LED (low beam) headlights on base model are standard...

Edited by danglin