Can you really call the explorer sport "sporty"

Well the SHO is basically a SUV Sedan

That's an interesting and accurate description of the current generation Taurus SHO. Take the worst aspects of an SUV, and combine them with the worst aspects of a sedan.

What an insult to the original SHO formula from 25 years ago. :sad:

What an insult to the original SHO formula from 25 years ago. :sad:

The days of the 8,000 rpm super-screaming FWD V-6 are gone, replaced by today's EB low-rpm/max torque approach through a distributed AWD system that co-ordinates with chassis/ride management.

Time marches on, the original SHO formula is a dead-end. :)

What an insult to a guy who owns one.

No insult intended to current gen SHO or Explorer Sport owners, and I apologize if my previous post conveyed that. My nostalgia for the 1989 Taurus SHO I first drove at a Ford press event over 25 years ago is strong, I suppose. ;)

Merry Christmas to Blue Oval Forums members!

My beef with the SHO now is I can't order the performance package and the technology package together. I figure a hi-end full size sedan should have all the trimmings ;)

Its because of the transmission cooler interfering with the installation of radar sensors on the front bumper.

My biggest complaint about the car is the stupid floor pan reinforcement....its right where I rest my feet.

Sure the car could lose some bulkiness and have more interior room, but overall I'm very happy with it. I figured the new Fusion based one should take care of all the "shortcomings" the current one has.

• Like 2

My nostalgia for the 1989 Taurus SHO I first drove at a Ford press event over 25 years ago is strong, I suppose. ;)

Through rose color glasses too!! My parents had a 89 Wagon, nice car...when it didn't break or the transmission shit itself every 60K or so The 1st gen SHO had there fair share of problems too long term.

• Like 1

No insult intended to current gen SHO or Explorer Sport owners, and I apologize if my previous post conveyed that. My nostalgia for the 1989 Taurus SHO I first drove at a Ford press event over 25 years ago is strong, I suppose. ;)

Merry Christmas to Blue Oval Forums members!

It's kind of like some of the 'scary' neighborhoods around here. Nothing's going to happen to you, but it feels like it could.

That '89 SHO wasn't faster than this SHO, nor did it have better brakes, better suspension, or better handling--but it felt faster, etc....

There was a video not so long ago of a race driver four wheel drifting an SHO around a race track,

it looked like he was having a barrel of fun.

I can only imagine how wickedly awesome that V6 Ecoboost would be after a tune,

good luck getting anywhere near the same power increase with just a tune on a NA V8.

Its because of the transmission cooler interfering with the installation of radar sensors on the front bumper.

My biggest complaint about the car is the stupid floor pan reinforcement....its right where I rest my feet.

Sure the car could lose some bulkiness and have more interior room, but overall I'm very happy with it. I figured the new Fusion based one should take care of all the "shortcomings" the current one has.

All excellent points and the shortcomings of the D platform are well documented. I have only driven a SEL Taurus but I understand.

You know, maybe the SHO will return as one of the Ford Performance lineup? With all new AWD, adaptive steering and an updated EB35? Oh yeah...

Through rose color glasses too!! My parents had a 89 Wagon, nice car...when it didn't break or the transmission shit itself every 60K or so The 1st gen SHO had there fair share of problems too long term.

The Yamaha will be known as perhaps one of the best looking engines of modern times. It seemed so ahead of everything else when it was introduced. It could be worse such as having a Taurus with the 3.8L which IIRC, had more than its share of problems.

Through rose color glasses too!! My parents had a 89 Wagon, nice car...when it didn't break or the transmission shit itself every 60K or so The 1st gen SHO had there fair share of p"roblems too long term.

I had 2 MTX SHOs at different times, both over 150k mi. You could shoot that engine with a shotgun and it still turnover and run.

The problem is the rest of the car wouldn't keep up with it. The 1st one was reasonably reliable. The 2nd was much quicker but let's just say never buy an old car from a northern state (rust and electronics) .....

Yes, my Explorer Sport is indeed sporty.

We have close to 35K miles on her. We drive a challenging curvy road, every single week, and often multiple times a week. The Sport not only gets the EB 3.5, but it also gets a lowered sportier suspension. It truly does make a difference, and the Sport truly drives smaller than it is. It is as tossable as any almost 5000lb beast has a right to be. Yes, there is some body roll initially, however she does take a set and just turns................ no fuss at all. You can hit that challenging road at speeds that just do not jive with driving a 5000lb SUV.

You have to understand where I am coming from. My 1991 Mustang GT was built for handling, and could pull over 1G. I would do autocross and road racing. I loved my '94 Lightning for the handling, and hated the '01 Lightnings handling because it was so numb to the feel. I was going to buy a Boss 302.................... yes, due to the handling. We also own a '66 Yenko Stinger, which is a Yenko road racer. Right now I have the hots for the GT350.

So, handling is my thing. No, the Sport does not communicate with you like a Mustang will. But, it truly is sporty and fun to drive vehicle. Take one out on a challenging road and have a good time. It will surprise you.

• Like 3