America's New Best Selling Van- Transit

ANTAUS

It's almost like Ford knows its truck and van markets better than the negatards.........

My dad was at a Lowes/Home Depot with a friend of his a few months ago...Ford had a Transit there and the people demoing the vehicle there even hooked him up with a $10 GC since had on his baseball hat that had the plant he worked/retired from on. He was impressed with it and was telling me how big it was...and how you couldn't park something like that in your garage LOL.

I took a 10 passenger wagon for a ride, looking to upgrade my e350 in a year or so. It was a low roof, short wheelbase xlt. It is super nice and I would consider it a major upgrade from my e350. The dealer told me they cant keep the cargo units in stock. Their only complaint is the lack of winter tires available in its size, but I expect that to be short term with sales doing this good.

The only thing wrong with the E Series vans was that they were long in the tooth, and becoming a fungible item.

The Transit addresses two of the three big shortcoming with the E-Series: space for people and fuel economy. Granted, you could've put the 2.7 in the E-150, but you'd still have a less than effective people carrier.

This product is a superior replacement for the E-series in Class 1 & 2.

The forthcoming MD replacement for the E-Series addresses the third shortcoming: ability to accommodate a modern medium duty diesel.

There was no reasonable way to address all three E-Series shortcomings with a global product. But you could address a couple of them that way.

I'll take a Transit CA cutout, motorhome prep and Powerstroke please. :)

I've seen a japanese SUV with one of those aftermarket popup sleepers, wish I had a picture... EDIT: Found it

hz_mountain.JPG

hz_skidoo.jpg

and I imagine an AWD Transit with something similar and a small lift would be an interesting vehicle.

Oh and I guess for what it's worth.... Transit has found it's way up to Alaska as well. Napa is one of the bigger businesses running them, but there are others too

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

Mercedes added AWD Sprinter in North America for 2015. Let see how well the market respond to fullsize AWD vans. In theory, Ford can offer it in the US without much issue since the AWD Transit is already engineered and for sale in Europe. But CAFE impacts will need to be reviewed.

Bu..bu...bu...but Transit will fail since it doesn't have "body of frame" construction.

Hmnn- I belong to the Panther Mafia, Ranger Mafia, might as well make it a threesome :happy feet:

( Hope they sell a ton-which it looks like they will. I've posted before about the Mechanical contractor whose shop is across the yard from my pals heavy truck shop. These guys were all E series until they bought their first Nissan- "best thing since canned beer". Hopefully they will get back on track.

Hmnn- I belong to the Panther Mafia, Ranger Mafia, might as well make it a threesome :happy feet:

( Hope they sell a ton-which it looks like they will. I've posted before about the Mechanical contractor whose shop is across the yard from my pals heavy truck shop. These guys were all E series until they bought their first Nissan- "best thing since canned beer". Hopefully they will get back on track.

Canned beer.....about as awful as well...you know...

IMG_0039.JPG

With a new year already here, the Transit has a new challenge to face. "2015 will be the year that the Transit has to leave the nest, because E-Series inventories will be close to zero and Transit will have to carry all the weight," said Sullivan.

I thought the E-Series cutaways were still on sale. :do what:

I've seen a japanese SUV with one of those aftermarket popup sleepers, wish I had a picture... EDIT: Found it

hz_mountain.JPG

hz_skidoo.jpg

and I imagine an AWD Transit with something similar and a small lift would be an interesting vehicle.

Oh and I guess for what it's worth.... Transit has found it's way up to Alaska as well. Napa is one of the bigger businesses running them, but there are others too

Um... that's not anywhere near the same thing though...

108862901_2.jpg

The AWD Transit is based on the FWD Transit though, right? (Yeah, yeah, FWD Transit not that different from RWD, but AWD would be an easier sell if it were based on the model already built here.)

AWD Transit has longitude engines so it is based on the RWD model sold here.

Edited by bzcat

When you look at what Ford is offering buyers with Transit Connect, Transit and HD E-Series cutaways,

there's not to many holes there, perhaps it's why Transit sales have really started taking off,

Customers appreciate the balance of capability, space and efficiency.

When you add all of that up, it's no wonder why Ford dominates the commercial van market

but also having a decent passenger version is an added bonus.

Edited by jpd80