America's New Best Selling Van- Transit

ANTAUS

The only thing that disappoints me about the Transit is the relatively low trailer towing capacity when compared to E-Series. I know uni-body vehicles are never going to be ideal for towing trailers, but a 5100 pound rating or less on the Transit Wagon is really low. You can tow nearly as much with an Explorer. Ten years ago, Ford offered two vehicles capable of towing 10,000 pounds or more AND carry 7 or more passengers, the E-350 and the Excursion. Today, Ford offers none. The closest is the Expedition at 9200 pounds or less.

Previous generation AWD Transit was based on the RWD model with longitude engine and high floor because the FWD Transit has low load floor that precludes putting the drive-shaft under the floor.

transit-drivetrain-550x335.png

The current generation AWD is listed on Ford UK's website. not on sale yet as far as I can tell but during the launch in UK, Ford said it will be available again without collaborating on engine configuration. But one would assume it will be RWD based again.

Thank you for clearing that up !

EDIT:

Do you know if Ford EU is using the same AWD drivetrain ?

I just realized the big "hold back" that Quigley will have to overcome. The EU Transit AWD uses a manual transmission (or maybe it is a lay-shaft "semi-automatic"). Ford US obviously did not think calibrating a manual for such a low volume was worth the effort.

Edited by theoldwizard

But how many buyers actually need to carry 7 passengers AND tow > 10K lbs? I just don't see that as a very big demographic.

I think a supercrew F150 or Super Duty would handle 99% of those cases where you need to carry passengers (up to 5) and tow a lot.

They [boxed frame] are the best way to make a frame. If load floor is a high priority. If it isn't, then C-channel works just fine.

Are you try to say that a lower load floor was a priority in the F150 ? I don't buy it ! Regardless of what drove the true engineering decision, it has been used as a marketing tool.

Riveted C-channel is primarily a (lower) cost issue.

Edited by theoldwizard

Thank you for clearing that up !

EDIT:

Do you know if Ford EU is using the same AWD drivetrain ?

I just realized the big "hold back" that Quigley will have to overcome. The EU Transit AWD uses a manual transmission (or maybe it is a lay-shaft "semi-automatic"). Ford US obviously did not think calibrating a manual for such a low volume was worth the effort.

I would think the AWD system is the same, with helical gear set towards the front differential that only engages when computers detects slippage in the rear - no reason to change it.

But looking at the technical drawing I posted, you can see that the system is integrated with the manual transmission... so if Ford wants to sell the AWD Transit in the US, it will have to allocate some engineering resources to make it work with the 6 speed auto. Or maybe they wait until the 10 speed is available...

As for Quigley conversion... I think those guys are working on a true full time 4WD system, not on-demand AWD that Ford uses. I don't know if the helical gear set and multiple clutches are needed for Quigley... they will probably forge some sort of direct drive that constantly engages the front wheels.

Edited by bzcat

Are you try to say that a lower load floor was a priority in the F150 ? I don't buy it !

Yes, a lower load floor was a priority with the F150---rather, maintaining the existing load floor and overall vehicle height while increasing capacity.

Height of the '97 F150 4x4: 75.3"; height of the '15 F150 4x4: 76.9"

Your choices are stiffer C-channel, no increase in payload, taller C-channel, or box frame construction. In practical terms, the only choices were stiffer C-channel or box frame construction, and it seems that the cost favored box frame construction.

Are you saying that you need that capability?

Kind of, we have three kids and when we go camping, they like to bring their friends. We currently make do with our Expedition, but it would be nice to trade up to something similar in size with more towing capacity in case we wanted to get a bigger trailer.

Kind of, we have three kids and when we go camping, they like to bring their friends. We currently make do with our Expedition, but it would be nice to trade up to something similar in size with more towing capacity in case we wanted to get a bigger trailer.

You could always go get a nice used Excursion just for towing.

You could always go get a nice used Excursion just for towing.

If I was to do something like that, I'd get a used E350 Chateau with a V10 or Diesel and have it converted to 4WD by UJOINT Off Road. Or, I could just sell the trailer and get a motorhome again... Edited by NLPRacing

But how many buyers actually need to carry 7 passengers AND tow > 10K lbs? I just don't see that as a very big demographic.

I think a supercrew F150 or Super Duty would handle 99% of those cases where you need to carry passengers (up to 5) and tow a lot.

There's families, especially large families, that go on trips and tow their boats, RV trailers or their family car along with them.

In fact, I don't get why the Transit cargo van has almost 2,500 lbs. more towing capacity than the Transit Wagon. :do what: Contractors would be less likely to use that that amount of towing capacity than families would.

Families would need that capacity more than than the tradesmen. The tradesmen that do most likely have trucks for that and don't need to carry that many people to begin with.

It seems like waste to me, while families get screwed. :headscratch:

Tell you this much: It'll put an end to any interest your kids' friends might have in going camping with you.

The kids might want to stay home as well. :jackinbox:

Edited by zipnzap

But looking at the technical drawing I posted, you can see that the system is integrated with the manual transmission... so if Ford wants to sell the AWD Transit in the US, it will have to allocate some engineering resources to make it work with the 6 speed auto. Or maybe they wait until the 10 speed is available...

Looking at the cut away drawing, I would not say the AWD unit was "integrated" with the MT. It DOES take advantage of the PTO on the side of the transmission case.

IIRC, the only transmission Ford-NA has with a PTO is the 6R140. Overkill for this application.

I don't understand your statement. A 2014 E350 had a max tow capacity of 10,000. The 2015 Expedition has a max tow capacity of 9,200. Both are de-rated based on the vehicle load.

Admittedly, a E350 van can carry more people.

• 10 months later...

I would love to see Ford do either an AWD Transit or a 4X4. I can't imagine driving a long wheelbase, highroof Transit over White Pass during a winter storm or down through the Columbia Gorge during a wind and ice storm. It will be interesting to see how the Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter sales compare to the standard Sprinter.