Chevy Bolt: A 200 mile, electric CUV for $30k

PREMiERdrum

I know someone who uses a Tesla Roadster as his daily driver, and his wife has a Leaf. When they exceed the travel distance of the Roadster they either rent or use a Zipcar. It's not too different from the idea of renting a U-Haul a couple times a year rather than owning an F150 for the two to three trips to Home Depot that you may use it.

I know it's possible, I just didn't think it was very common. Just like it's not common for someone who makes 3 trips to HD per year to drive an economy car and rent a truck. It's too inconvenient for most folks.

Sure, lets argue based on anecdotal evidence regarding what people are and aren't interested in driving. Meanwhile, we can look at actual numbers.

US Plug-in vehicle sales:

2012: 52,000

2013: 97,500

2014: 120,000

For comparison's sake:

Lincoln sales, 2014: 95,000

If the plug-in market is as big as it is now and growing as fast as it is now with the products that are currently available, one would imagine that if GM delivers on the Bolt (and if their competitors are driven to keep up), many more people will be deciding that it makes sense to get into a plug-in vehicle.

It's really too bad that we have no word from Ford about what they're up to in this segment.

Sure, lets argue based on anecdotal evidence regarding what people are and aren't interested in driving. Meanwhile, we can look at actual numbers.

For comparison's sake:

If the plug-in market is as big as it is now and growing as fast as it is now with the products that are currently available, one would imagine that if GM delivers on the Bolt (and if their competitors are driven to keep up), many more people will be deciding that it makes sense to get into a plug-in vehicle.

It's really too bad that we have no word from Ford about what they're up to in this segment.

Do those numbers include both EVs and PHEVs, or is it just Plug In Hybrids?

Either way, I seriously doubt one electric offering from GM is going to convince the masses that an electric car is worth while. Ford hasn't done it with the Focus Elecric, GM hasn't done it with the Spark EV, Nissan, though they've sold a bunch through subsidies hasn't done it, and for all the fuss and bother in the media over Tesla, they certainly haven't done it.

It's going to take a LONG time for electric vehicles to really make a major impact on the market.

For comparison's sake:

PHEV != BEV

I think you are confusing the two. Plug-in hybrids make perfect sense and can easily be an only vehicle for anyone. Basic electric vehicles, not so much.

• Like 2

You can't judge long term demand when there are $7500+ rebates for early adopters that translates to $199 leases. It's artificial demand.

But we can extrapolate from previous data points with hybrid cars. Most EV buyers that took advantage of the current tax incentives will end up buying another EV without any tax incentive. I think that's a pretty fair assumption.

But we can extrapolate from previous data points with hybrid cars. Most EV buyers that took advantage of the current tax incentives will end up buying another EV without any tax incentive. I think that's a pretty fair assumption.

How so? There's no evidence to back that assumption up. Most EVs only sell when there's massive tax incentive. Why do you think Obama keeps pushing to extend the tax credit program?

PHEV != BEV

I think you are confusing the two. Plug-in hybrids make perfect sense and can easily be an only vehicle for anyone. Basic electric vehicles, not so much.

That's why I said "Plug in Vehicles" - PHEVs make more sense for some people, pure BEVs make more sense for other people. But they both offer similar benefits, and involve a similar rethinking of how you fuel your vehicle. I would personally buy a PHEV, but the most recent numbers in the US actually show more demand for BEVs than PHEVs. Either way - my point is that a 200 mile EV at 37,500 (lets throw away the incentive for sake of discussion) would be a significant improvement over what's currently on the market, and should sway more buyers than the 3000 or so per month we're seeing with the most popular current plug-in models.

I had a crazy though regarding people currently buying Volt on those low cost leases.

The reason most buyers were signing up to Volt was the cheap lease combined with no gas bills due to minimal miles driven..

What if all those buyers suddenly went to Bolt and deserted the next Volt... boy, GM would be in a pickle then.

I thought that credit was based on number of sales by the mfr and therefore Ford no longer had any credits. Is the BEV credit separate?

Credit type is the same -- Ford is only up to about 36k out of 200k sales (before the credit starts to phase out)... below page has details, and then at the bottom of that page is a link that shows status by manufacturer.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-%28IRC-30-and-IRC-30D%29

Edited by jeff_h