New Ford GT officially official

cant wait to hear the V6 wailing at peak RPMs....although I understand people desiring the flat plane, if these are successful in Le Mans it will add some serious cudos to the ecoboost image, and I think with this car they wanted to give a "high Tech" image....

Hey Dean - it's been racing for over a year already in the Chip Ganassi Daytona Prototype. I'm sure you can find some video.

i hear you on that but,there is no reason they cant sell the v6 and a v8.i really would be shocked if that GT350 motor doesnt end up in it.i dont see that motor just being in the GT350 considering the money that went into that motor.

Prepare to be shocked. There's no way you're putting a 90 degree engine with two more cylinders on it in that car. No way.

The answer: the 1935 Duesenberg SJ Mormon Meteor.

The Question: What was the last American road car that was as exotic for its day as is the new Ford GT?

The Meteor III of 1938 was more of a Salt Flats car. There might be some in-between, but I can't readily think of any. Let's hope that a EB Coyote makes it in this car after homologation is complete.

Don't forget that you could buy one of these:

http://www.boldride.com/ride/1967/ford-gt40-mark-iii

I find it thoroughly amusing that the Mk III in this article was owned by Herbert von Karajan. It would, in fact, be difficult to overstate my amusement at the idea of him owning a GT-40.

He may have been the only owner who drove more adagio than molto. The chassis and aeros of the GT III are highly exotic, the powertrain probably less-so. It was fun seeing pictures of that car.

Eh, could be a souped up truck with chrome up the ying-yang, loud exhaust with a 3ft clearance. Oh wait, I just described someone today at Home Depot trying to load up his "Ridgeline" and they kept telling him "It's NOT a real truck, SIR, we can't do this, we do not want to be liable", and me passing by whispered to the associates in spanish "check his package, it dont look big at all". Yup it doesnt just happen in the Corvette which most I end up flying right on by.

Who's going to buy one of those Galpin Auto Sports GTR1s for like a million bucks when you'll probably be able to get a Ford GT for $150K? Doesn't have 1000+ Horsepower, but the GT looks amazing and should be extremely fast.

I'm not sure if the GT will be that "cheap"...given its Carbon Fiber structure etc...but then again maybe this is a proof of concept that Ford will be spinning out CF to other more mainstream products to make them lighter/stronger to meet CAFE ratings.

But then again $150-200K for this car is a "good" price IMO

Yeah - I'm thinking at least $225K but we'll see.

And you have to just shake your head at the "but I wish it had a V8" crowd.

I've always appreciated any engine no matter the cylinder count. I find the GT absolutely amazing. The current EcoBoost 3.5L has a great torque curve and I'm sure the 2nd generation will also. I bet this will pull off the line like a locomotive and power to weight ratio should be excellent. I can't wait for actual performance numbers.