Joined the Dark Side

Nice looking car.

A little OT, but did Ford ever fix their funky option packages on the Focus? I remember when the new model went on sale people complaining that they had a pretty much loaded car, but it didn't have cruise control because of they way options were grouped.

Well if the deals are that great, that certainly explains why the factory lot went from being a sea of '14s to empty in a little over a week during shutdown!

My local dealer has 40 of them. That's the highest inventory model they have in stock besides their trucks. But the deals are almost impossible to pass up if you need a car like that. For example they have a $27K Titanium selling for $20K.

Edited by Dave-S

Great car and great color. And I really like the front end on the 2014 model a lot better than the new front end on the 2015 models.

I thought that too, until I saw it in person. The black honeycomb grille looks MUCH better than the 5 chrome bar version. Throw in smoked headlamps and it looks badass

• Like 1

I thought that too, until I saw it in person. The black honeycomb grille looks MUCH better than the 5 chrome bar version. Throw in smoked headlamps and it looks badass

I like the look of the 2015 as well. It is not as dramatic as it was before the new front clip but it has class and sport going for it now.

I saw a ('15) black hatchback on a dealer lot last weekend and yesterday I saw a silver sedan cruise through the parking lot while I was drinking coffee and looking out the window at Panera.

Picked it up today. So far really diggin' it. Drove it the office and back (20 miles each way). Only thing I could not figure out was why I could'nt hear my wife when I tried calling her. It said something about "Privacy" or something on the screen. (Time to RTFM).

I will concede that the SYNC / MyFord interface is a bit intimidating (and I'm a tech geek) compared to other systems I've used. They offered SYNC clinics at the dealer (which I did not sign up for). The sales gent took his time showing me everything and how to use the various functions. I doubt my wife or my mom would be able to figure it out without some training though.

Transmission: I have no complaints about the shift quality at all. I doubt 95% of the driving public could notice a difference between this and a regular transmission.

Ride: rides rougher than my previous car, but so worth it for the driving feel. The steering has nice weight to it, but amazingly easy to turn at low speeds (electric steering FTW!)

Comfort: the leather is soft. Nice quality for what amounts to an economy car. Seats are comfy and the seat heater gets nice and hot quickly. Love the steering wheel. Perfect size and thickness and the leather on the wheel is comfy too

The ambient lights are cute, but I ended up turning them off because I like the cabin dark.

I averaged low 30's for mostly highway driving (60-65 mph). I'm hoping it gets better as the car breaks in and the weather warms up.

I also signed up at syncmyride.com. I'll also be transferring my lifetime Sirius subscription over to it as well.

Edited by Intrepidatious

That must be it. Oddly enough I just tried making a call and it worked this time (and I didn't change anything?)

Sometimes if you initiate the call or answer the call directly on the phone it will go into privacy mode. Simple answer is to always use the steering wheel and voice controls to make / receive calls.

Sometimes if you initiate the call or answer the call directly on the phone it will go into privacy mode. Simple answer is to always use the steering wheel and voice controls to make / receive calls.

I made it through the steering wheel controls. Whatever, I'm still learning it, I'm probably did something wrong.

I made it through the steering wheel controls. Whatever, I'm still learning it, I'm probably did something wrong.

You know - if you were writing for a magazing, you'd have to complain and talk about how TERRIBLE the system is instead of considering you did something wrong and wanting to take the time to learn how it works. Learning it would be a crazy concept, I know!

Day Two: Getting used to the car

Starting to get the hang of the different controls (and how Ford controls differ from other cars I'm used to). I totally dig that it has both tilt and telescoping wheel at this price point.

Couple very minor nitpicks:

• The rear wiper controls have questionable usability. It's a really tiny toggle switch on the end of the stalk that is really hard to turn on (especially with gloves on as it was this morning).
  • The glovebox alignment is waaaaaay off. It hangs down almost an inch from where it should sit when closed. I'm going to see if it is something I can adjust myself.
  • You can't get an auto-dimming mirror in the Focus (I read it was discontinued for 2014)? I'm going to buy one with Homelink and wire it up myself. That's one of my "gotta-haves".

Other than those very minor gripes, I am really enjoying it. I totally did the "turn around and look at it" when I walked away from it this morning at the train station. ;)

• Like 2

Day Two: Getting used to the car

Starting to get the hang of the different controls (and how Ford controls differ from other cars I'm used to). I totally dig that it has both tilt and telescoping wheel at this price point.

Couple very minor nitpicks:

• The rear wiper controls have questionable usability. It's a really tiny toggle switch on the end of the stalk that is really hard to turn on (especially with gloves on as it was this morning).
  • The glovebox alignment is waaaaaay off. It hangs down almost an inch from where it should sit when closed. I'm going to see if it is something I can adjust myself.
  • You can't get an auto-dimming mirror in the Focus (I read it was discontinued for 2014)? I'm going to buy one with Homelink and wire it up myself. That's one of my "gotta-haves".

Other than those very minor gripes, I am really enjoying it. I totally did the "turn around and look at it" when I walked away from it this morning at the train station. ;)

Not sure if you've used it yet, but if you're in reverse and tap the wiper stalk for the front window it will give the rear wiper a pass.

For the homelink you can get power from the moonroof / lighting wiring if you have one. If not you can tap into the lights for the visor lights.

• Like 1