Focus RS...this is it...320HP AWD Track Monster

Projected to produce well in excess of 315 horsepower, the custom unit shares its fundamental structure with the all-aluminum 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine in the all-new Mustang, but has been significantly upgraded through a comprehensive package of design changes.

Edited by Biker16

Ford did the same thing when Mustang was first revealed... final horsepower rating is pending emission calibration and competitive factors. Power is inversely related to fuel consumption and emission... Ford has to find the right balance. I'm guessing the final production version will be 330hp, which leaves plenty of room for the eventual RS500 version.

This is he AWD system I Was expecting for the RS and Other Ford performance vehicle.

attachicon.giffocus_rs_awd_EU.pdf

attachicon.gifFordFocusRS_AWD_01.jpg

If these quotes constitute a prediction that Ford was going to basicallty use Honda's SH-AWD system, then Nostradamus predicted 9/11:

at this point in the cycle of this Archtectrue adding AWD is parts bin stuff.

In summary

Ford should develop

• general AWD system including differentials for both 4WD and full time AWD, including necessary drivetrain mechanicals.

I never said center differential.

If anything I differential is the wrong terminology to describe a clutch based transverse AWD system, but the intention would be to have a system much like today's Intelligent AWD used on the escape and fusion, but offer variants of that system that can operate in a more flexible fashion than the "slip and send" system used today something that can offer the performance attributes that buyers of the focus RS or fusion ST would demand. Along with a bit more aggressive Varian for off reading, not a low range 4wd, but something more capable than the system today.

Either way the difference between these variant could be clutch pack and the ability to send over 50% of torque to the rear wheels.

just a thought.

Edited by RichardJensen

Saarlouis already does AWD installs.

they haven't had AWD since they moved the Kuga to Spain.

The change from FWD to AWD is more of achnage to the Chassis line,and it's not worth doing it in MAP for the RS.

If they can Eport the RS to the ROW they could build a AWD lincoln there too for Asia and the US.

what else do they build there? I know almost nothing about Ford's euro ops.

C-max

C-max 7

Focus wagon

Focus Hatch

Focus Electric?

C-max HEV/PHEV?

If these quotes constitute a prediction that Ford was going to basicallty use Honda's SH-AWD system, then Nostradamus predicted 9/11:

Richard I think My point was the iAWD would not cut it for performance vehicles espcially the RS, I am happy with the solution they developed.

Because, I can tell you, this is *nothing* like iAWD. Nothing like it at all.

Are you being sarcastic?

What could be shared with more pedestrian iAWD:

• IRS module
  • front and rear half shafts
  • Drive shaft
  • Power takeoff unit

99995-fordfocusrs-awd-01.jpg

Richard I think My point was the iAWD would not cut it for performance vehicles espcially the RS, I am happy with the solution they developed.

Are you being sarcastic?

What could be shared with more pedestrian iAWD:

• IRS module
  • front and rear half shafts
  • Drive shaft
  • Power takeoff unit

There's a huge difference between "I am happy with..." and "I was expecting...."

Further, on that list, the only nominally shareable component is the IRS module, which--however--probably contains a number of custom pieces on the RS.

- You cannot possibly share the PTU between iAWD and this system. It is absolutely flat out impossible. The iAWD PTU is a series of electromechanical clutches that cannot operate in full-time AWD mode, it contains no center differential, and can transfer as much as 100% of engine output to the default 'off' axle. The PTU on the RS system contains a center differential, provides power full time to both axles between a maximum of 70% and a minimum of 30%, and the torque transfer is not effected in the PTU, but in the electromechanically controlled clutch packs on either side of planetary differential at the rear axle.

And because every aspect of this AWD system differs from the iAWD system, I would be astounded if *any* prop shaft from the central drive shaft to the individual half-shafts can be shared with an iAWD system. Nor do I see even the slightest possible reason for sharing the likely exotic components in this RS with quotidian AWD vehicles.

Edited by RichardJensen