2015 f-150

Here's a little insight on how much money is lost on one lost production day

At max capacity, DTP makes about 75 trucks per hour, that's 1.25 every minute, or one every 45 seconds. That's a total of 803 over a 10.7 hour shift, for at total of 1606 PER DAY!

Now, assuming an ATP of $35,218, that's $56,560,108 in lost revenue per day if they don't run at all.

So do you really think they would shut an entire plant down while they figure out a bumper alignment issue? I don't think so.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

They're not saying don't ever fix them - just not to fix them yet. Ford fixes panel alignment issues under warranty all the time.

If I had to guess I'd say Ford is rolling the dice on this. Dealer gets 5 new trucks in. 1 needs bumper or other panel adjustment. Dealer asked for authorization. Ford says not yet. Why? Because truck is not sold yet, no customer so no customer complaint. Ford does not trust dealer. Ford thinks dealer may be trying to get paid on something a customer might not complain about. Ford thinks sell truck and then only if customer complains we might authorize then.

Sound plausible Dean?

• Like 1

I can't believe you said that.

Why not?

That's what this boils down to. Money.

Ford could hire tens of thousands of people to hand assemble the F150, in which case they would cost significantly more than they do now.

Or they could build the F150s very very slowly, requiring much more machinery to build them, in which case they would cost significantly more than they cost now.

Both approaches would work, if people were willing to pay much higher prices for the F150. They're not.

Instead, they do what they're doing now: Build these vehicles as quickly as possible, using as much automation as possible, because their customers are not willing to pay for slower assembly or more hands-on assembly.

----

And I'm so very sorry that my failure to jump into "instant outrage" mode offends you. I guess the way I look at it, any fool can be angry and anyone at all can say things without thinking about them, and it doesn't take a great deal of thought to stomp your feet and say stuff like, "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET THIS HAPPEN."

That's just simplistic, immature, knee-jerk, brain-dead, useless, pointless grandstanding.

It assumes that the world is made up of simple problems and easy answers, and that calling something "inexcusable" is a valuable contribution to a discussion.

Edited by RichardJensen

Really, it's a bumper for crying out loud. If they can't get that on a vehicle straight by now something is really wrong. A bumper that goes on every car and truck made, and they can't get it straight? There is no excuse for it NONE!

I suppose the blowing out spark plugs in the 5.4 engines was okay too. And the breaking of spark plugs when changing them was okay too. Stuff like this shouldn't happen it's not like this is the first time they built engines and trucks.

Edited by coupe3w

You missed my point. Many people are assuming that all assembly lines are created equal, they aren't. A lawnmower was the first example I could think of

And yes, a few people suggested shutting the plant down to figure out what's going on.

they eventually had to relaunch the 2012 focus because of quality issues. after the summer shut down in 2011 they re-ramped production up to find out what the fuck was going on.

Ford will never beat toyota or even GM in quality of efficiency unless they stop taking short cuts.

Why not?

That's what this boils down to. Money.

Ford could hire tens of thousands of people to hand assemble the F150, in which case they would cost significantly more than they do now.

Or they could build the F150s very very slowly, requiring much more machinery to build them, in which case they would cost significantly more than they cost now.

Both approaches would work, if people were willing to pay much higher prices for the F150. They're not.

Instead, they do what they're doing now: Build these vehicles as quickly as possible, using as much automation as possible, because their customers are not willing to pay for slower assembly or more hands-on assembly.

----

And I'm so very sorry that my failure to jump into "instant outrage" mode offends you. I guess the way I look at it, any fool can be angry and anyone at all can say things without thinking about them, and it doesn't take a great deal of thought to stomp your feet and say stuff like, "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET THIS HAPPEN."

That's just simplistic, immature, knee-jerk, brain-dead, useless, pointless grandstanding.

It assumes that the world is made up of simple problems and easy answers, and that calling something "inexcusable" is a valuable contribution to a discussion.

Yea, you'd never engage in "immature knee jerk grandstanding"

The good news is my 2006 F150 which I bought new was delivered with properly aligned body panels and still looks great today. Apparently this level of fit and finish is a lost art. Oh well that's progress.

Since you have the answers Richard what should Deanh tell his customer? The customer wants a straight truck, Ford has not authorized adjustment before delivery. The customer may walk out. To save the deal does the dealership fix the thing knowing afterwards they won't get reimbursed from Ford?

Edited by F250

what an insightful observation on the complexity of modern life!

This is the world you wanted, Coupe. Better learn how to deal with it.

Then tell me what is so hard about getting a bumper on straight with all this nice equipment they have to do it with? Crap all you need is good eye sight and a freaking level.

they eventually had to relaunch the 2012 focus because of quality issues. after the summer shut down in 2011 they re-ramped production up to find out what the fuck was going on.

Ford will never beat toyota or even GM in quality of efficiency unless they stop taking short cuts.

That's not surprising, going from producing full size SUVs (expedition/Navigator) to compact cars has to be equal or greater of a challenge as going from steel to aluminum construction. I can't speak to what went on here at MAP back then, it was before my time here.

Btw, who said they're taking shortcuts? Inspection might be a little more lax pending massive safety hazards, but as long as it can be fixed at the dealer level, they're probably letting more stuff leave the plant than they normally would.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Yea, you'd never engage in "immature knee jerk grandstanding"

The good news is my 2006 F150 which I bought new was delivered with properly aligned body panels and still looks great today. Apparently this level of fit and finish is a lost art. Oh well that's progress.

Since you have the answers Richard what should Deanh tell his customer? The customer wants a straight truck, Ford has not authorized adjustment before delivery. The customer may walk out. To save the deal does the dealership fix the thing knowing afterwards they won't get reimbursed from Ford?

There's a solution to the problem in your statement. If Ford won't authorize adjustment before delivery, then do it after delivery before the customer has a chance to drive it off the lot.

Yea, you'd never engage in "pointless knee jerk grandstanding"

Please find the most recent discussion thread here where my only comments were unsupported rhetoric of the "There's no excuse for this" variety.

Your 2006 F150 was also build in the THIRD model year of that run on equipment that had been thoroughly well tuned by that point.

Regarding your question, I don't know what Ford's directives to dealers and customers are. For instance, I don't know if Ford has authorized any customer repairs either.

And finally, this is such a huge deal that a google search of "2015 Ford F150 bumper alignment" returns no relevant results until THIS thread appears on the third page of search results.

So let's not pretend that EVERY F150 is shipping with a misaligned bumper, that a MAJORITY of F150s are shipping with misaligned bumpers or even that a significant MINORITY of bumpers are affected by this.

Then tell me what is so hard about getting a bumper on straight with all this nice equipment they have to do it with? Crap all you need is good eye sight and a freaking level.

What's hard about it? It's an incredibly complicated piece of machinery that is performing properly on an overwhelming majority of its operations.

Since you have a degree in mechanical engineering and decades of experience with mechanized assembly, why don't you tell me why it should be 'easy' to determine why this machine which performs nominally most of the time, fails on a certain limited number of tasks.

I guess I was wrong. Some problems do have incredibly easy solutions.

We'll find all the employees that don't have "pride in work", which, you know is easy to tell because people that don't have "pride in work" all have horns and tails and cloven hooves instead of feet, and we'll fire all of them, and replace them with good solid upstanding people who have "pride in work" and Ford will never ever have any problems with quality ever again.