Bought our first GM vehicle

F250

From what I've heard, the Sky & Solstice were great bargains, but not as much as the Chrysler Crossfire. Again, congrats on your purchase. But, as a Ford fanboy, I'm still waiting for a Ford that I can buy that Ford is paying me $10K or more to take off their hands.

Ah yes the Chrysler Crossfire! In 2011 IIRC we were repairing a Crossfire with very minor damage and needed a left headlamp assembly. There were none available anywhere. Aftermarket didn't make them yet and Chrysler backordered them for months. Literally the poor SOB's car sat there unusable for months waiting on one damn headlamp. And it cost over a grand when it finally was available.

That's the risk of owning such a car.

I still think the Crossfire is a great looking car.

I liked the roadster version ...but you know the Crossfire only existed because Chrysler was criminally incompetent. LOL...sorry I had to.

If the Crossfire is too conservative how about finding a nice Plymouth Prowler! Now that was a wild roadster. Call it anything but boring.

Edited by F250

Cars we like as enthusiasts are not always good business decisions. As an enthusiast I am glad that GM (Lutz) built the Solstice and Sky even if was a lousy business decision. I am also glad that Ford built the GT, good business decision or not.

Trying to make endless claims about poor business decisions is OK but as an auto enthusiast I get tired of hearing the endless bantering that goes on about them. I would much rather talk about the attributes of these cars instead of always trying to tear the cars down based on a poor business decision.

Not sure about the rest of you but I for one am glad the OP bought a Saturn Sky. I like the Sky and I would have one myself if I could have many different cars in my stable. Heck I would love to own one of the few Solstices Coupes that got produced as well.

Dave

You may already know about the following site, but in case you don't you might check out http://www.curbsideclassic.com/

It's a great site for enthusiasts with lots of interesting and fun articles on cars. it's one of those sites that makes me wish I had a 10-car garage.

Some of the reader input is really interesting - particularly the COAL series (Cars of a Lifetime) - where people share their experiences, often with just trying to keep a car running.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

I am so impressed by people that brag about their degrees. Do you know how many degrees Henry Ford held? He was a pretty smart fellow as well wouldn't you agree?

You just don't get it, do you?

Knock off the personal attacks.

And I'd be very very careful using Henry Ford as an example of someone who could hold civil conversations with people who disagreed with him.

Edited by RichardJensen

You just don't get it, do you?

Knock off the personal attacks.

And I'd be very very careful using Henry Ford as an example of someone who could hold civil conversations with people who disagreed with him.

Richard lighten up, he was bragging and I made a wise crack about it. I assure you if I had intended a personal insult I could have done much better than that. I know he was agreeing with you and you are defending but you know all he had so say was " I agree Richard."

If someone asks me what's wrong with their car I don't brag about my education my certifications and my years of experience before I advise them.

Gentlemen don't brag.

Richard lighten up, he was bragging and I made a wise crack about it. I assure you if I had intended a personal insult I could have done much better than that. I know he was agreeing with you and you are defending but you know all he had so say was " I agree Richard."

If someone asks me what's wrong with their car I don't brag about my education my certifications and my years of experience before I advise them.

Gentlemen don't brag.

If you're not being serious, for the love of Pete, use an emoticon.

:)

I am so impressed by people that brag about their degrees. Do you know how many degrees Henry Ford held? He was a pretty smart fellow as well wouldn't you agree?

Maybe I'm just happy that I'm finally about to be done with school and wanted to share with the board in a roundabout way. Or are you just looking for reasons to come after people?

To answer your question, Ford was smart at business. Jury's out on the rest.

• Like 2

If you're not being serious, for the love of Pete, use an emoticon.

Oh yea, I forgot about those. Y'all should know my abrasive sense of humor by now. ;)

not+so+serious.jpg

Yea

I know, I know educated critical people will point out that this is not a picture of our planet in our galaxy because we have no means of taking such a picture of our own galaxy. This is Andromeda I think but you get the idea.

Edited by F250

Just a reminder to everyone here who does not have a degree in the humanities:

What you say belongs to everyone.

No one here is above being challenged on their premises or their conclusions.

And as a reminder to all:

If you do not want your ideas criticized harshly, be prepared to defend them. If you do not want your opinions criticized harshly, do not present them as facts. Do not take criticism of your ideas and opinions personally. Do not insult other members.

And if you don't like having your ideas dissected and analyzed, go somewhere else. Go to a forum where fantasy reigns and they are quick to boot anyone who makes noise. Go to a forum where you can associate freely with people who think exactly like you and will not subject any of your ideas to critical thought. Go to a forum where you'll never have to think critically--or perhaps at all.

BOF has probably banned fewer users than any other internet forum over the past ten years. I think the philosophy of the forum works. If you do not, you are free to go elsewhere.

Holy Paul Blart-Mall Cop Richard, one of your moderators needs to tone down the sarcastic responses as well. There are many times when I'm shaking my head and asking why he needs to react the way he does.

And I don't see any emoticons...

Edited by LincolnV

Maybe I'm just happy that I'm finally about to be done with school and wanted to share with the board in a roundabout way. Or are you just looking for reasons to come after people?

To answer your question, Ford was smart at business. Jury's out on the rest.

Congratulations.

The reason was you agreed with Richard and not me so I took a shot. Was in jest though. :)

Henry Ford held no degree of any kind the man was self taught and made a massive positive impact on history. By the way Orville and Wilbur Wright didn't either and they were pretty smart as well.

Holy Paul Blart-Mall Cop Richard, one of your moderators needs to tone down the sarcastic responses as well. There are many times when I'm shaking my head and asking why he needs to react the way he does.

And I don't see any emoticons...

large.jpg

Edited by akirby

Just a reminder to everyone here who does not have a degree in the humanities:

What you say belongs to everyone.

No one here is above being challenged on their premises or their conclusions.

And as a reminder to all:

If you do not want your ideas criticized harshly, be prepared to defend them. If you do not want your opinions criticized harshly, do not present them as facts. Do not take criticism of your ideas and opinions personally. Do not insult other members.

And if you don't like having your ideas dissected and analyzed, go somewhere else. Go to a forum where fantasy reigns and they are quick to boot anyone who makes noise. Go to a forum where you can associate freely with people who think exactly like you and will not subject any of your ideas to critical thought. Go to a forum where you'll never have to think critically--or perhaps at all.

BOF has probably banned fewer users than any other internet forum over the past ten years. I think the philosophy of the forum works. If you do not, you are free to go elsewhere.

Richard - I guess I'm not a good fit for this forum. People can't talk about what they like without being insulted - for you to reply like this is actually insulting to others who just come here to say what they like. It's always going to be someone else's fault.

Yes - there are other sites. Some of them are quite good where moderators acually are moderators. Of course Richard, I'm not talking about you. After almost 9 years, it's clear BOF won't ever evolve.

Too bad.

NM

Two days ago you were all about how much you liked BON. Later that same day you edited that post and about a dozen others, and today you're talking about how nice it is on other sites where 'moderators are moderators'.

And all this because you disagreed with akirby's posts about station wagons?

Edited by RichardJensen

Two days ago you were all about how much you liked BON. Yesterday you edited that post, and today you're talking about how nice it is on other sites where 'moderators are moderators'.

And all this because you disagreed with akirby's posts about station wagons?

Richard - my post was about how much I liked your attitude. Let's just be clear about that. Then you turn around and post this reply to F250 about how things work here. Quite honestly, it's excusing bad behavior from the BON side.

It's true we could cultivate a forum where people could say crazy stuff like how the CT6 is 'the best looking Cadillac since 1959' (or something like it), and ban everyone who looked askance at such statements, but why bother with that? You can get that everywhere on the internet. The internet is a full of these tiny communities of people who all think exactly alike and can't possibly comprehend the world at large.

At the very least people should be able to get something here that they can't get anywhere else.

Good grief. People should be free to have arguments here, provided they remain (generally speaking) based on facts and concepts and not personal insults.

Did akirby venture a bit too far into the realm of personalities and characterizations on the station wagon thread? Perhaps. But we don't give anyone the hook the first time they cross over from debating ideas to ad hominem attacks. We've all done it. Every single one of us here. You. Me. Everyone.

Edited by RichardJensen