2010 F150 Ticking Noise

wtwe2step

I have a F150 2010 with a 4.6 3V efi V8 Engine with 80k miles on it. It has started to make some Ticking Noise from the passenger side. It is worse at start up and then gets a little quieter when it warms up or when the oil gets to the heads. I first thought it was an exhaust leak but I see no signs of that. After reading some items on this forum, I'm now thinking it's the cam phaser. The noise never goes entirely away. Is this something that has to be fixed? What damage is being done? What's the cost to have the dealer fix? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Phasers don't tick. They knock or rattle. Check that the plugs are tight. If it was recently tuned up, most people tend to leave the plugs loose and they tick. Also if aftermarket plugs were used, they tend to come apart and have issues. Make sure that all 8 studs are intact on the manifolds. If all that is ok, pull the valvecover and check that it hasn't broken a spring or ruined a roller follower.

YT90SC, you were so right. Found 2 missing exhaust studs on #4 cylinder. The other 6 are really rusty. From doing some googling, it appears to be a common issue. 5 years old and rusted out.. I hope they have a better stud now on the new trucks

It is a fairly common problem and I remember replacing the manifold on my dads Super Duty with the 5.4L Triton....not a job for the average shadetree mechanic, especially the F-150 versions since you would have a spring pocket right in the way so the motor needs to be jacked up. I was able to get the manifold from the wheel house opening after taking the shock mount off...still was a pain in the ass...

The manifold is cast iron and the head is aluminum and they expand and contract at different rates when hot and cold. After a while, the bolts that hold the manifold on get fatigued and the bolt head breaks off....

• 4 weeks later...