Mustang Shelby GT350 Power offically at 526HP/420ft/lb

silvrsvt

I've never sat in one, just looked in them. Rear leg room looked to be awful for a full size.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/a314/1838366/

The Five Hundred's back seat has enough room for the Los Angeles Lakers backcourt.

http://www.moto123.com/imprimer_article.spy?artid=21099

The Five Hundred offers best-in-class headroom in both the front seats, at 1,001 mm (39.4 inches) and rear at 980 mm (38.6 inches), while rear legroom is a class-leading 1,039 mm (40.9 inches) and overall interior volume factors in at 3,627 L (128.1 cubic feet).

jf_06ford500_08bkst.jpg

The problem is that my reference for rear leg room is a Town Car L. Nothing compares.

The Town Car L had a 10.7" longer wheelbase. Complaining that all other full size cars are too cramped in the rear basically means your point of reference is an out-of-touch vehicle that not enough people wanted to buy anymore.

I dont think the extra long wheel base was the Town Car's problem. Ford let it die on the vine and the factories had to go during the restructuring. Ford couldn't invest in everything and some stuff had to go.

Still though, it seems there is enough of a market for such a beast that somebody would see fit to build one.

Do we know what the new Continental's wheelbase is yet?

I dont think the extra long wheel base was the Town Car's problem. Ford let it die on the vine and the factories had to go during the restructuring. Ford couldn't invest in everything and some stuff had to go.

Still though, it seems there is enough of a market for such a beast that somebody would see fit to build one.

Do we know what the new Continental's wheelbase is yet?

You missed his point, which had nothing to do with the wheelbase.

You said you thought the Taurus/MKS and other D3 products had tight back seats. RJ pointed out that the Five Hundred and Montego/Sable and Flex/MKT had/have great legroom. Some of that legroom in the Five Hundred/Montego was sacrificed going to the Taurus and MKS to have a more attractive exterior design.

You said your reference was the Town Car L with a 10" longer wheelbase. Obviously there will be much more legroom there. RJ's counterpoint was that nobody wanted the Town Car itself for many reasons, none of which were related to the wheelbase.

Flex has only 1" less rear legroom than a Town Car L.

And this is why I always felt like the squarer body of the Flex would have made a better MKT,

that Peter Horbury and his team tried too hard with the rounded MKT we got...

I can only imagine what would have been if D3 Explorer had arrived years earlier when

MKT was being developed if it had those squarer Flex, and Explorer bodies.

slvrsvt, dealers will only be allocated 1, maybe two cars.....for 2015 at least. I was just informed one dealer relatively close to us got their allocation, 1 GT350, one R. That's it. 2016 there may be more produced, but I don't envision the 350 being a mainstream car, it will remain HALO, and then what in 2017,,,,I would expect a model change...

slvr....easy answer...to keep interest high and consequent demand....you have to continually change/ refine/ improve a product or it dies on the vine....example, why did they change the Raptor being that it was selling so well... and GT500s sat.....

Edited by Deanh

example, why did they change the Raptor being that it was selling so well... and GT500s sat.....

Because there was a completely new F-150 coming out?

As for the GT500...looks like they sold about 5500 of them a year every year it was out...just because they sat near you, isn't indicitive of what the rest of the country is doing...I know your in So Cal, but the world doesn't revolve around it ;)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?990927-GT500-Production-numbers/page2

slvr... Um, I know the world doent revolve around here...BUT....google Southern California...it just happens to be one, if not THE largest market in the States...ahem....and with that comes a certain amount of catering to ITS market needs. They ( The GT500's ) sat because a new model was coming out...AND in reality, car had become passé....say what you want, but cars require a 2 year, 3 year max before they need some changes to maintain numbers...and for Halo cars an MCE doesn't cut the mustard. And also note, theres a heck of a lot more changes to the Raptor than body alone...

Edited by Deanh

that may be so...but they sure don't/ didn't seem to move fast, the infatuation had somewhat worn off..........and just to prove my point...I ran a locate, and theres some still sitting...................

Edited by Deanh

fordman...rightfully don't know...but once again...if you have the only one around....in our case the Dealer principal, IF car was still here would be FREAKING! Theres a couple showing being on lots for over 2YEARS! ( course, no knowing if they are modified etc )..sidebar, we just got our allocation..............2 GT.350s total,

Edited by Deanh

fordman...rightfully don't know...but once again...if you have the only one around....in our case the Dealer principal, IF car was still here would be FREAKING! Theres a couple showing being on lots for over 2YEARS! ( course, no knowing if they are modified etc )..sidebar, we just got our allocation..............2 GT.350s total,

Is that allocation for the '15 model year or '16?

that would be 2016...but heres an educated guess based on past experience. Bet the cars don't arrive till LATE 2015/ early 16 when the 17s can be ordered...reminds me of the KR...they literally arrived when the next model years were also hitting the lots....

Edited by Deanh