JDPower IQS Scores

I dunno I find the whole thing suspect...when Chrysler is rated so much lower then Dodge and they are basically the same car!

Not to mention much on this list is just bitching to bitch...IIRC Mini scores so low because of stupid sized cup holders....REALLY?

I dunno I find the whole thing suspect...when Chrysler is rated so much lower then Dodge and they are basically the same car!

Not to mention much on this list is just bitching to bitch...IIRC Mini scores so low because of stupid sized cup holders....REALLY?

You hit on the difference between Dodge and Chrysler in your second statement. Chrysler buyers are likely more picky, and expect more perfection than Dodge buyers, so Chrysler customers complain about little things that Dodge customers overlook. That's my thoughts.

You hit on the difference between Dodge and Chrysler in your second statement. Chrysler buyers are likely more picky, and expect more perfection than Dodge buyers, so Chrysler customers complain about little things that Dodge customers overlook. That's my thoughts.

But what about Ford and Lincoln? The Delta is closer, but Lincoln is higher rated, but their clientele is normally order?

It's always been like that. Mercury always rated higher than Ford. Buick higher than Chevy. Etc.

Ford has vans and trucks. Lincoln doesn't. Fords are produced in far more plants so there are far more chances for problems.

But honestly - look at the real world difference between Jaguar and Mitsubishi. 4 average Jag owners will see 4 problems and 4 average Mits owners will see 5 problems (total, not individually). So one out of 4 Mits owners will see an extra problem compared to the very best scorers.

It's almost irrelevant.

Chrysler only makes, as best I can tell, three vehicles (200, 300, T&C), whereas Dodge is a (nearly) full-line manufacturer. If the 200 and Dart have the same problems, that's going to be a bigger hit for Chrysler than for Dodge just because Dodge has more models to absorb the hit.

• Like 1

Except the trucks don't count for Dodge. Which means they've got what? Two more vehicles than Chrysler?

According to Dodge's Web site, their current lineup is:

Challenger

Charger

Dart

Viper

Journey

Durango

Grand Caravan

As of their May, 2015, figures ( http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=16595&mid=1), it looks like Dodge sells about half again as many cars as Chrysler (45K vs. 29K). Fiasco also sells a heck of a lot more 200s than Darts (20K vs. under 9K), and the 200 accounts for roughly half of Chrysler's volume, so if that model is problematic, it'll really hurt Chrysler; the Dart, on the other hand, doesn't sell much more than the other Dodge models (excluding the Viper), so even if it's a turkey, it won't hurt them as badly.

Note: I'm not saying the 200/Dart is the problem, only that if it were the problem, it could easily account for the discrepancy between the two brands.

Edited by SoonerLS

Since this is all within the first 90 days I think it's safe to assume most of those with multiple problems probably had them fixed together in one visit. Which means the average owner of any brand had to take their vehicle back once. There is virtually no difference. You have to stop looking at the relative positions and look at the actual numbers.

Since this is all within the first 90 days I think it's safe to assume most of those with multiple problems probably had them fixed together in one visit. Which means the average owner of any brand had to take their vehicle back once. There is virtually no difference. You have to stop looking at the relative positions and look at the actual numbers.

Heretic.

• Like 1

The JD Powers IQS is pretty close to pointless. Pretty much anything that's sold new can make it through the first 90 days with little to no problem and usually its no problems.

I give it about as much credibility as the Motortrend car / turck of the year award, which is to say none.

A better assesment of a car / truck is after about a year to eighteen months of continuous use.

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 1

The difference between the best brand and the industry average is about 1/3rd of a "problem" per vehicle.

The difference between the industry average and the worst brand is about 1/2 of a "problem" per vehicle.

Funny thing is the industry average from the same report 10 years ago was 118 PPH. Has quality not gotten any better over the past ten years or has the definition of a problem become broader?

Has quality not gotten any better over the past ten years or has the definition of a problem become broader?

The definition of problem is probably broader. Remember, rags and mags and the so called "experts" at consumer reports bring Ford's overall quality down because of the issues with MFT, even though that car will easily last 200,000 miles.

Just look at a car on a lot today (from any manufacturer) and compare it to 10 or even 20 years ago and you can tell the quality is much improved before you even open the door and start it.

• Like 1