Ford EcoSport Coming to the U.S.?

robertlane

Ford EcoSport  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wants To See the Ford EcoSport in the U.S.?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but not this generation. I'm sure Robert has been asked to generate some opinion on this...

Make sure the next one is designed for US consumption from the beginning please. Ford really needs two different tiny CUVs... one that is less than 4 meters long for India, and one that is a full B-segment size to compete with other offerings in the class.

I read a document today stating that the Ecosport (B515) will replace Fiesta (B299N) assembly at Cuautitlan which ends 2015.

With the next-gen Focus (C519) and Escape (C542) expected to join Cuautitlan Assembly.

Edited by MKII

I read a document today stating that the Ecosport (B515) will replace Fiesta (B299N) assembly at Cuautitlan which ends 2015.

With the next-gen Focus (C519) and Escape (C542) expected to join Cuautitlan Assembly.

That's not a big surprise... EcoSport will guarantee higher transaction price and margin than Fiesta and B-segment growth is all going to be in CUVs. But I hope we will continue to get Fiesta from somewhere.

And if the market trend continues, C-segment CUVs are going to grow at the expense D segments cars so it makes sense for Ford to plan more C-segment capacity in NAFTA zone.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ford is arriving a few years too late to the Party! Someone asleep in Dearborn? The hottest segment now is the Sub-Compact Crossover Vehicle, period! Honda HR-V`s and Mazda CX-3`s are flying off their respective lots. The EcoSport should have arrived here in 2015.

Ford was early to market in other countries with EcoSport however so they aren't completely clueless and found enormous success. But when you enter something early and not well researched, you also tend to lose grip of that market as new competition responds with better products which is what is happening to EcoSport around the world, particularly in India. I think Ford will eventually have a better response once the market has been established and the volume in the US has been stabilized. But I agree that importing THAT EcoSport is uncharacteristically desperate and shortsighted for them, it's very reactionary. I can't recall a time when Ford imported a product half-way through it's lifecycle, a product never designed for the US or European markets with glaring and obvious disadvantages. There is no question Ford is entering a segment they are completely unprepared to compete in and I'm sure they know it. I think Ford just hopes to capitalize on it's existing brand to sell it. If this were being sold by anybody else, it would have zero chance.

Edited by BORG