How about an alphanumerical names for Lincoln?

Instead of the current alphabet soup naming scheme, what about an alphanumerical scheme:

SUV/CUV take even numbers:

• MK2, MK4, MK6, etc...

Cars take odd numbers:

• MK1, MK3, MK5, etc...

With flagship cars keeping their names such as the Continental, Navigator, and a Lincoln Sentinel.

Instead of the current alphabet soup naming scheme, what about an alphanumerical scheme:

• MK2, MK4, MK6, etc...

Cars take odd numbers:

• MK1, MK3, MK5, etc...

With flagship cars keeping their names such as the Continental, Navigator, and a Lincoln Sentinel.

The problem you have with that is exactly the issue BMW and now Cadillac are running into.

What happens with your in-betweener vehicles? BMW had to go to an entirely new numbering scheme for 2 doors and 4 doors. Then they created a new alpha scheme for SUVs and those weird half SUV / car vehicles as well. ...and their electric line.

What happens when a car gets bigger and is no longer in the same numeral class? What happens when you want to add a car in between an MK4 and an MK6?

It kind of paints you into a corner using alphanumerics.

Don't make any tweeners then. BMW seems to be the worst offender at creating redundancy in their lineup. Leave the mutant vehicles to Ford(Ford Flex, which was well received unlike the that Town Car thing its based on..)

You have it backwards. MKT is based on Flex haha.

No, they're both based on the Explorer, which is based on the Taurus, which was based on the Volvo S80, which was.......

I know it's a joke, but Flex (2009) and MKT (2010) were both before Explorer (2011), and Taurus (2010) came after Flex....

• Like 1

I know it's a joke, but Flex (2009) and MKT (2010) were both before Explorer (2011), and Taurus (2010) came after Flex....

...unless of course you were referring to the 2008/9 Taurus and Taurus X, which were of course based on the Five Hundred and Freestyle....

It can't be worse than having your entire lineup start with the letter "F" for some inane symbiosis with the "F" in Ford.(or maybe it can be :-))

Letters are more confusing than numbers because they have no intrinsic value like numbers. When you see a Mark 6 and a Mark 4, you can easily figure out the hierarchy and place them in order accordingly. At least make it easy for the consumer to decipher your lineup, so that you don't struggle to differentiate them yourself.(BMW, Merc) The Germans got carried away, but I think it could work out. Leave the names for the flagships...Navigator, Aviator, Continental, & Sentinel are great nameplates IMO.

What happens with your in-betweener vehicles? BMW had to go to an entirely new numbering scheme for 2 doors and 4 doors. Then they created a new alpha scheme for SUVs and those weird half SUV / car vehicles as well. ...and their electric line.

The best idea is just when you roll out your new nomenclature to then decide that a 4-Door "Coupe" belongs in the same numbering with your two doors, rather than your sedans.

My feeling is that the letter naming is somewhat responsible for Lincoln's loss of market. While MKC are just letters, when you say it it is weird- emkaysee, emkaytee, emkayzee, . Total nonsensical sounding.

Ford 500, later renamed Taurus, Freestyle later called Taurus X were Volvo chassis. Flex is reskinned TaurusX/Freestyle. MKT is reskinned Flex.

get under one and you will probably find "Made in Sweden" on some things. Take a picture of the undeside of a Volvo and of the Flex, and it will be a lot of similarities.

Ford should have made a 4 door sedan Flex and called it Crown Vic.

• MK2, MK4, MK6, etc...

Cars take odd numbers:

• MK1, MK3, MK5, etc...

I'll just let Michael do the talking on this one.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

So everyone wants names. I do too, but what could they be? Please don't call the MKZ the Zephyr again..Please. Sounds like a seasoning.

MKZ = Zenith

MKS = Sentinel

MKR = Continental
Navigator = Navigator
Aviator = Aviator
MKX = Xenon?
MKC = Centurion?

The naming convention gives me 1950's nuclear family, retrofuturism vibes. Was this intentional by the early or late designers?

Edited by GT-Keith

I loved the name of the Ford concepts of the mid- to late-2000's so I feel those should really be brought to life, with a bit of an astronomy theme:

Focus-sized car: Iosis

2-seat sports car*: Atria

MKZ: Evos

MKS/Continental: Orion [final gen. Falcon codename] - but I'm happy with Continental

LincStang*: R (maybe a 'sporty' sounding constellation - if that's a thing)

MKC: Vertrek

MKX: Aviator [iMO should be an inbetweener model, 5 seat only etc.]

Navigator: same

PS: Zenith should logically be reserved for something a la Continental, as it is the zenith of the Lincoln brand.

* My own 'dream machines' for the brand.

My feeling is that the letter naming is somewhat responsible for Lincoln's loss of market. While MKC are just letters, when you say it it is weird- emkaysee, emkaytee, emkayzee, . Total nonsensical sounding.

If you look at the leading (best selling luxury makes) none of them have an actual car name in their lineup. Everything is just alphanumeric...the brand names are reenforced as status symbols that way

Ford should have made a 4 door sedan Flex and called it Crown Vic.

Um No....

Leave the MKZ, MKX, MKC, MKS named as they are. When they get a total replacement, then change to a name.

And no, don't go back to Zephyr. Pick a different name. That' one doesn't conjure up any good thoughts related to a car.

Leave the MKZ, MKX, MKC, MKS named as they are. When they get a total replacement, then change to a name.

And no, don't go back to Zephyr. Pick a different name. That' one doesn't conjure up any good thoughts related to a car.

The MKS nameplate is already going away. It's called the Continental.

The MKS nameplate is already going away. It's called the Continental.

I am aware of that. I was going to post something to that effect. But isn't the Conti going to be RWD/AWD? I didn't want to confuse the situation because the specs of the Conti aren't exactly the same as the MKS. So yes, the MKS is going away and the Conti is coming as Lincoln's four door sedan.

I am aware of that. I was going to post something to that effect. But isn't the Conti going to be RWD/AWD? I didn't want to confuse the situation because the specs of the Conti aren't exactly the same as the MKS. So yes, the MKS is going away and the Conti is coming as Lincoln's four door sedan.

All clues point to a CD4 FWD/AWD based Conti.

• Like 1