Ford dangles $10,000 discounts on redesigned aluminum F-150 pickup

That's not $12k.

The $45,065. MSRP on the first truck is misrepresented on the website. The window sticker shows the dealer website MSRP is inflated by $2k. and is actually $43,065.

That drops it down to $10k off.

This truck is a 2.7L XLT SuperCab Luxury Pkg so if you want something else you're not going to get that much off.

Plus you have to factor in bogus rebates you aren't going to qualify for.

Article on this linked by Mike Levine....

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/622108687079972864

Mike Levine @mrlevine 4h4 hours ago

$10K F-150 incentives? "...a frenzy upon further reflection with no real substance." http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015/07/reasons-for-ford-truck-incentives-overblown/ via @DetroitBureau

Edited by Bryan1

Market Share?

If that were the case, why would the incentives be limited to one configuration (Super Cab), one trim level (XLT), one engine (2.7L), and one option package (XLT chrome)?

I'm sticking with the assessment that this is about drawing down a very narrow slice of over-produced inventory in order to make room for more popular configurations.

• Like 1

am I the only one that question show one could run out of frames for the #1 selling nameplate in the world? ...I mean its not like its a necessary component or anything......yet ANOTHER screwed up release IMO.

Supplier problem. Old truck had two frame suppliers. The second supplier wouldn't match the price of the current company, so the current supplier expanded the facility to supply all the frames and are having problems meeting the number.

• Like 1

If that were the case, why would the incentives be limited to one configuration (Super Cab), one trim level (XLT), one engine (2.7L), and one option package (XLT chrome)?

I'm sticking with the assessment that this is about drawing down a very narrow slice of over-produced inventory in order to make room for more popular configurations.

how can you make room if you never had enough to begin with?

Bryan...the old Top MSRP before discount packages trick.........................AH HUH!

I hate that. Also the Platinums that were supposed to be $8k off are only $7k off "at most" if you qualify for all the offers. It's that Top MSRP trick before equipment pkg discount again like you said. $7k off a $57,380 truck is only 12% off MSRP.

I don't think the XLT SuperCab 2.7L Chrome Pkg deal is to sell trucks that are overproduced. This is to gets folks into the showroom, as most folks don't do their homework before hand.

Edited by Bryan1
  • Like 1

Sounds like this was always the plan, overbuild high series XLT and when sales start to slow because of competitor discounts,

Ford goes whomp with a cracker of a deal. I wonder if we'll see a bumper sales month, there's over 67,000 of the new F150s

around the country in dealers yards.

-

Edited by jpd80

how can you make room if you never had enough to begin with?

Because what's on the lot doesn't include what's in transit, what's in holding for inspection, and what's already been scheduled w/parts delivered at the factory.

As in my previous post, if the dealer's got 65 XLTs allocated, on the lot or in transit, the full number of 65 XLTs are what matters, not just the 30 that are on the lot.

The "Detroit Bureau" take on this topic:

However, a look behind the curtain reveals that things are not nearly as bad as it may seem. The discounts were on Ford’s website, and vary by region. The highest discounts were found in places like Washington, D.C., which is not a big truck market. However, other places like California saw discounts as high as $7,000, although they were tied to Ford’s high-end pickups.

The packages also include rebates that are available to any new Ford buyer, such as $750 off for financing through Ford Credit, or $2,500 back in bonus cash, according to Ford officials. The average F-Series incentive was $3,100 per truck, Ford said, which lower than the industry average and about $600 less than what Ford offered this time last year on the previous-generation truck.

The trucks turn in average of 32 days, which is faster than its competitors in the segment. Average transaction prices are $44,100, the highest in the half-ton pickup segment and a record for the company. Ford officials note they only have half as many new trucks in their inventory as they normally would at this time.

More Here:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2015/07/reasons-for-ford-truck-incentives-overblown/

most manufacturers have 'option package discounts'

I suppose that is true. Maybe I've not noticed, but is it common practice to include these discounts in sale prices as Ford is doing? (I'm not being a smartass, I really don't know if this is a normal thing.)

Chevy has the options pkg discount in the $8000 off Silverado ad that is running right now. And it's only tied to one particular truck like the Ford.

What's really confusing is when you build a Ram truck they include a down payment in the selling price. They list base MSRP on one line, options total on a separate line, a down payment, then the estimated "selling" price with a 10% down payment. Not just a straight up total MSRP so you can see what you are really paying. This is annoying and makes the price appear to be $4500+ less than it actually is.

Edited by Bryan1

Chevy has the options pkg discount in the $8000 off Silverado ad that is running right now. And it's only tied to one particular truck like the Ford.

What's really confusing is when you build a Ram truck they include a down payment in the selling price. They list base MSRP on one line, options total on a separate line, a down payment, then the estimated selling price minus a 10% down payment. Not just a straight up total MSRP so you can see what you are really paying. This is annoying and makes the price appear to be $4500+ less than it actually is.

Yeesh.

So what I'm getting out of this is that Ford's retail pricing structure is designed to confuse the buyer into thinking they are getting a good deal.

Not really, it's more like the perception of getting better value in a well appointed truck as opposed to a discounted stripper base model.

That's not true. Only difference between the two is KCAP builds all 8ft beds, DTP builds all Raptors.

Lots of retail orders araare filled by KCAP.

I think we (DTP) are the only one producing the Platinum and I'm not sure if KCAP got any King Ranch production back. Last model the Platinum/Raptor were DTP only and the King Ranch was KCAP only (as well as all 8' boxes) who knows the mix now...All I know is there are a lot of high end trucks rolling past me every night...

I think we (DTP) are the only one producing the Platinum and I'm not sure if KCAP got any King Ranch production back. Last model the Platinum/Raptor were DTP only and the King Ranch was KCAP only (as well as all 8' boxes) who knows the mix now...All I know is there are a lot of high end trucks rolling past me every night...

I knew we had the Harley exclusively. Didn't know about the Platinum.