Adaptive Cruise Control. Yes or No?

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

^^^^

Update to my post #2....

Agree. I have in all three of my cars and had it in a 2013 FFH. I will never buy another car without it. On the FFH I was not going to order it, but my wife insisted, I quickly became a convert.

Edited by hermans

I have used adaptive cruise for several years. Our 2013 Edge had it. We now have a 2015. Ford’s version is by far one of the best. I won’t own another vehicle without it. Period! It relieves fatigue and is great safety feature. Pair it with lane keeping for a great combo. The new version in the 2015 is “smarter” than our 2013 version.

With the old version, if I approached a slow vehicle in the right lane (highway) and went to pass we would slow and not resume speed until I was completely in the left lane. With the new version, I approach the slow vehicle, turn on the left signal to pass and it “thinks”, oh you’re going to pass, so I’ll keep your speed up for a bit longer. It makes for very smooth highway operation. (Yes Ford, we do notice these little thing.)

One time we did have car pull in front of us on the highway. (They did not see us.) The Edge was on the breaks before I was. I’m not saying it prevented an accident but I was good to know the system did its job. It also seems to work well in rain, snow and fog. It has great “visibility”.

-Lee

PS I’ll am looking forward to my 2017 fusion ACC with stop and go.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I find this option an expensive option for my personal use. I hardly experience traffic (thank god!) so spending about $1900 on this feature just doesn't make sense.

With that in mind, I assume it's going to be a standard feature in future cars and that might help keep the car's value on resale.

• 2 years later...

Interesting story on adaptive cruise control....my neighbor has a 209 Audi A6 and his cruise control stopped functioning...he brought it to the dealer and after a call to Germany and the factory techs only to be told that the computer will shut down his ACC system if the car is out of windshield washer fluid since the car uses the washer fluid to keep the front sensors clear....no windshield washer fluid means there is no guaranteed way to keep the ACC sensors clean....at least that is what the computer thinks...nothing in the owners manual about it and dealer was stumped....

• 1 year later...

Is Adaptive Cruise Control Worth It?

If your commute is long, and you think you can learn to trust the tech (while always paying attention and being ready to immediately take over if necessary), adaptive cruise control could be a very meaningful upgrade. Letting the car operate the accelerator and brakes for most of your drive home from work can relieve a lot of the stress associated with driving.  However, if a system is designed with driving logic that bites the brakes too hard as it comes to a stop or allows too much distance in its closest setting, you might find yourself using the tech once and never again for the rest of the time you own the car.

• 4 months later...

I wasn’t looking adaptive cruise control when I ordered my 2018 F150 but it came in a package I wanted. Once I tried it it became a must have for me. I will say that sometimes I turn it off in heavy, but moving, traffic because the dive bomber cars will keep slowing you down as they jump in front of you. I figure I’d have to turn off cruise control anyway in that traffic so nothing lost. In the right environment it is a MUCH more relaxing way to drive.

• 7 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:33 PM, Atlbraves21 said:

Really glad I found this topic- ordered it on my build and excited to use it. Makes me

Feel better for spending the extra money!

IMO, its the best feature money can buy! I drive 80,000 miles a year for work and my work vehicle doesn't have adaptive cruise control, but my previous personal vehicle did and it was so fantastic to just set it and forget about how fast or how slow I was going. There was no need to adjust the speed of the cruise control because it automatically adjusted to the speed of the car infront of me. I cannot wait to have another vehicle with this option on it! It really enhances your driving experience and makes long distance trips on the highway...relaxing! ?

Late to the party but wanted to say my experience has been quite the different.  I've used it on several rental cars of varying makes and really, really dislike it.  It's nothing to do with trusting the tech or not liking tech as all of them did what they were designed to do and did it very well.  Now when I rent a car, I google how to disable it before leaving the rental lot.

After having experienced this I now understand why the interstate has long convoys of cars going well below the speed limit, the system just piles people up behind the slowest vehicle.   The first car with this system was so smooth that I didn't notice it slowing me down until I realized I'd been traveling with a group doing well below the limit.  I'm not a aggressive speeder but I tend to drive slightly above the limit and prefer to pass when I come up on slow traffic instead of joining it. 

I was going to wait a couple of years to order but ordered a 22 as I figure one of these days it will be standard equipment so I jumped in earlier than planned. 

Maybe in highly congested areas it's better than sliced bread and I would never deny or berate anyone that wants it and feels that it fits their needs.  I just wanted to offer a different perspective.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...