contract news

statts

Yep we got the right to work for whatever they come back with like it or not or quit and get another job.

You got it! If a lot of people would quit they could move product to Mexico without the job loss.

They laid 2nd Tier off at MAP so there would be people on layoff to give them a reason to offer a buyout to 1st Tier at contract!

Littlecountry is that your 'mean face'?Because if you aint willing to STRIKE you aint gonna get much.Suprised you would make such an anti-union,anti-company statement you are usually so compliant.Vote YES to strike authorization and then NO to the contract if it aint what you want!The company negotiates with its wallet.The company is not your friend.The union wants dues paying members.The only person who cares about you is you the guy actually working the job!ITS YOUR CONTRACT,Hasta la Vista,amigo!

Edited by Fatso

uh obviously there is no need for a union, AKA RIGHT TO WORK IN MICH.

I believe the "Right to Work" laws do not apply to workers that are under contract. The contractual language must be adhered to and trumps the right to work laws. If there is no contract between worker and company, then the company can do whatever they want. I could be wrong on this but I don't think so.

Littlecountry is that your 'mean face'?Because if you aint willing to STRIKE you aint gonna get much.Suprised you would make such an anti-union,anti-company statement you are usually so compliant.Vote YES to strike authorization and then NO to the contract if it aint what you want!The company negotiates with its wallet.The company is not your friend.The union wants dues paying members.The only person who cares about you is you the guy actually working the job!ITS YOUR CONTRACT,Hasta la Vista,amigo!

There you go with that Strike talk again

I believe the "Right to Work" laws do not apply to workers that are under contract. The contractual language must be adhered to and trumps the right to work laws. If there is no contract between worker and company, then the company can do whatever they want. I could be wrong on this but I don't think so.

You're half right. However, once any contract that was in effect when the RTW law took effect expires, members can then opt to leave and any future new hires can opt to not join the union
  • Like 1

Your right fuzzymoomoo! Rouge Welder you're going to have to own it. Make sure you fact check before you post bad information there are a lot of auto workers that think everything on the Internet is true

My info was not bad and fuzzy was correct also. It is true that after our current contract expires, we cannot be forced to pay union dues. And the union must represent those who choose not to join our union. But that is where it ends. After we pass the new contract, you can still refuse to join the union while still enjoying the representation they provide, but management must comply with the contractual language in place. With no contract in place, employers can fire you for any reason(i.e. missing one day, don't like you, etc.). Safety standards and ergonomics go out the window with no contract. Seniority dates are ignored. Work schedules can be forced(12hr/6 days), compensation/benefits can change, vacation/personal time reduced, etc., etc., etc.. Whatever the employer wants to do to you goes. Now, with a contract in place, you cannot be forced to pay dues to work in a union shop, but all other contractual agreements must be followed(i.e. safety, ergonomics, seniority, work schedules, compensation, etc.).

I also stated in my post that I could be wrong but didn't think so. I stand by my original post, I just did not go into great detail to explain myself.

I agree totally that our union does not have the weight they once had but without them, and without a contract that defines work rules, we would NOT be at the top of the labor force ladder. Eventually our pay/benefits would be reduced and we would end up like any other non union shop where management can abuse the workforce for greater profits. And if you don't like it, quit......if you say you don't like it, you will be fired.

Edited by RougeWelder
  • Like 2