contract news

statts

you have the right to opt out of the UAW in Michigan after the new contract is in place.

just remember that you also opt out of the UAW run retiree healthcare also,and any other benefit run by the UAW.

The only requirement to receive health care under VEBA is a pension benefit payable to the member from Ford.

Now that brings up the question about taking (if offered) a total one time buy out of a Ford pension benefit. But, as for all the begging I do for free legal advice, on that subject, I`ve been apart of a discussion that favors a position that states, if a member elects to receive a monthly payment or a one time payment for a Ford pension that would legally supply the VEBA benefit requirement of receiving a Ford pension benefit, to receive VEBA health benefits.....

If a member opt`s out of the IUAW, that dose not stop the monthly deduction from the members check that will be paid to the members local union. Nope... the opt out will reduce the monthly amount (greatly) but there will be a deduction. It`s called a maintenance or servicing charge.... or something like that. (someone has to pay for keeping up the golf carts)

Big Dog, It`s not anti union to say enough is enough... maybe the opt out`s can put their heads together an build a super pack?

Decker

According to the RTW Laws, Which are FEDERAL Laws, IF you opt out, the ONLY thing you lose is the right to Vote on Union issues. You will not have ANY fees to pay (this includes Maintence fees) Anything the membership recieves, you also recieve. this includes all bonuses, vacation time, and other benefits. And the Union must, by Law, give you the same protections, and representation (Including legal fees if needed) as they would a dues paying member.

In other words...You would be a full member of the union, but without the right to vote, and it won't cost a dime. You will become a FREELOADER! or in my book...a SCAB!

According to the RTW Laws, Which are FEDERAL Laws, IF you opt out, the ONLY thing you lose is the right to Vote on Union issues. You will not have ANY fees to pay (this includes Maintence fees) Anything the membership recieves, you also recieve. this includes all bonuses, vacation time, and other benefits. And the Union must, by Law, give you the same protections, and representation (Including legal fees if needed) as they would a dues paying member.

In other words...You would be a full member of the union, but without the right to vote, and it won't cost a dime. You will become a FREELOADER! or in my book...a SCAB!

We pay dues now and get nothing , so why not get nothing and pay nothing!

The freeloaders are the ones raising our dues and we get nothing in return!

• Like 1

We all know as UAW members the union has its issues.The truth is we are much better with the union than without one.I do not care if the entire U.S becomes a right to work nation.I will never opt out of paying my union dues.Anyone who thinks they would be better off not having union representation should excercise that belief the next time they have a problem and just not use a union rep and see how that works out for you.I know we did not get all of our issues resolved but without the union fighting for us over the years we would not have ,healthcare,sick days,vacation,pension,etc,etc!Do not EVER believe the corporate lie we do not need a union.Right to work means the right to work for less and do not believe anything but that.I have 27 years at Ford and we have lost a lot,hopefully we can get some of our losses back but without a union we will get nothing back and continue to lose more.

We all know as UAW members the union has its issues.The truth is we are much better with the union than without one.I do not care if the entire U.S becomes a right to work nation.I will never opt out of paying my union dues.Anyone who thinks they would be better off not having union representation should excercise that belief the next time they have a problem and just not use a union rep and see how that works out for you.I know we did not get all of our issues resolved but without the union fighting for us over the years we would not have ,healthcare,sick days,vacation,pension,etc,etc!Do not EVER believe the corporate lie we do not need a union.Right to work means the right to work for less and do not believe anything but that.I have 27 years at Ford and we have lost a lot,hopefully we can get some of our losses back but without a union we will get nothing back and continue to lose more.

Meh.

Henry Ford paid a record wage in 1914 of $5 a day.

The UAW was founded in 1935,

That kind of puts a hole in your theory that the UAW is solely responsible for our wages. Actually in recent years past my wages and benefits have gone backwards with UAW representation and bargaining. During the same time period the UAW gave themselves a raise and increased dues.

Everyone else must do more with less pay and benefits so why not the people supposedly working for us, the membership ?

Paying union dues is on par with paying for insurance. Its when you actually have a claim you find out how good or bad your coverage really is.

Having a right to work or opt out option might make some deadbeat UAW people take notice but I doubt it.

Meh.

Henry Ford paid a record wage in 1914 of $5 a day.

The UAW was founded in 1935,

That kind of puts a hole in your theory that the UAW is solely responsible for our wages. Actually in recent years past my wages and benefits have gone backwards with UAW representation and bargaining. During the same time period the UAW gave themselves a raise and increased dues.

Everyone else must do more with less pay and benefits so why not the people supposedly working for us, the membership ?

Paying union dues is on par with paying for insurance. Its when you actually have a claim you find out how good or bad your coverage really is.

Having a right to work or opt out option might make some deadbeat UAW people take notice but I doubt it.

You need to read about just how bad working conditions were at Ford Motor Co in 1914.Ford paid $5.00 a day but a huge amount of workers were fired and severly injured on the job.If it was so good then why did our union brothers fight to the death literally to unionize?Workers all over the world are going backwards and the ones without unions are doing far worse.I agree they should not be getting raises when most of us are going backwards but I still challenge you to prove that we would be better without the UAW.

• Like 2

Communication workers of America versus Beck in this case the Supreme Court ruled that the national Labor Relations act restricted unions from collecting dues for political activities if a union member chooses to opt out. Required dues can only be used for collective bargaining and other representable activities. The Agency Fee's were formed. This became referenced as the Beck Act.

If you live in one of the 25 right to work states you can choose to leave the union entirely, or remain a member and pay your share of these representational costs or agency fees.

A member agreeing to pay agency fees is entitled to everything that a member is paying for the political costs and other non-bargaining and non representational fees is entitled too. This includes being represented in the grievance procedures that are required underneath the National Labor Relations act.

I know it will be said, members paying just agency fee's won't get the same effort or same level involvement from the union rep's in the grievance proceedings. Well the NLRB has ruled in favor of all members including agency members if this takes place. But have you ever heard about some of the grievance procedures lately? Ever wonder where your grievance is or what happened to it? There are a lot of NLRB cases about this level of representation at present.

The Beck rights give a choice that's all. (In a right to work state) If you wish to go with the flow and remain a member that supplies the level of income, health, pension and fringe benefits to the business agents and everything outside of representing the membership then that's your choice. If your a member that chooses to pay for only the representation and collective bargaining processes then you pay only the proven cost of these services. Agency Fee's give you all the same collective bargaining benefits and rights on the plant floor.

A member paying agency fee's is a member. A Scab? A member who thinks and makes decisions in the members best interest?

I would opt to be a member paying the agency fee's if I could. I`m sure that is anti union in the IUAW leadership eye`s and their heard of sheep. But, really... I don`t play golf so why should I pay for it?

Decker
1 of the 1788

Edited by Decker

You need to read about just how bad working conditions were at Ford Motor Co in 1914.Ford paid $5.00 a day but a huge amount of workers were fired and severly injured on the job.If it was so good then why did our union brothers fight to the death literally to unionize?Workers all over the world are going backwards and the ones without unions are doing far worse.I agree they should not be getting raises when most of us are going backwards but I still challenge you to prove that we would be better without the UAW.

Unions did a LOT of good , back in the day but are largely self serving now.

YMMV.

Without a union you won't get a fan,bathroom call or even be able to protest a job.In a non union job you will do whatever job they give you or you will be fired.Again I am not saying our Union does not have issues that need to be addressed but to keep bashing the union as if they do nothing for us is not true.You think its bad now?Wait and God forbid we no longer have a union.It will be over,our jobs will be utterly miserable and all of us seniority people will be fired in droves.I think I can speak with a little authority on this matter I have 27 years at Ford.Things were better in the past but we did not have to deal with these unfair trade laws and outsourcing that our sellout politicians have done to the American worker.If we did not have the union Ford would have shuttered all of its U.S plants long ago.The union must have made some kind of deal to keep us working or else we would have been gone a long time ago.The union can only do so much with every thing stacked against us.Please give them some credit!

Edited by cecilmeyer

Wow where is captain obvious when you need him? You do realize that 90 percent of the people that work are not in a union and they do let them go to the bathroom and have a fan. WTF

and there are a lot of lawsuits over this.

also over not paying overtime,part time workers doing full time work and more ,in these non-union work places.

I would like a direct vote on my international reps,that would help.

Wow where is captain obvious when you need him? You do realize that 90 percent of the people that work are not in a union and they do let them go to the bathroom and have a fan. WTF

And like I said you get fired very easily and after you do you won't be coming back.Just how much time do have at Ford? Cannot be that much with your attitude.

Believe me when I tell you this that there's less drama in non union shops and less lawsuits. Come on if you want to have a discussion on this at least be honest about what is really going on. I will tell you that the IUAW will make the tier "chosen" 1's pay union dues by taking over the pension fund like they did the health care and if you don't pay union dues you won't get what is left of your pension after they mismanage it like the VEBA. So come into the real world.

And like I said you get fired very easily and after you do you won't be coming back.Just how much time do have at Ford? Cannot be that much with your attitude.

Obviously you are not too bright. Unions are on the decline for a reason... Sad but unless things change you will have to adapt