The next Shelby GT-500?

I just read the "Future Cars" issue of Automobile and was waiting to see what the speculation would be on the next GT-500. The magazine thinks that the powertrain will be the twin-turbo V6 from the upcoming 2017 Ford GT. The big question posed is "are Ford fans ready to accept a non-V8 Shelby?"

FWIW, I do remember reading an interview with Carroll Shelby a few years back when he said he would like to do something with the then-new 3.5L EcoBoost V6, so the man himself was clearly interested in the idea... but as a GT-500? That might be pushing it for some people.

As for myself, I kinda got the feeling that the GT-350 may very well be Ford's "sending off with a BANG!" of the V8-powered sportscar/musclecar, so I think it is entirely possible...

I was sure someone else would have brought this up by now-- did I miss a thread (or two)?

If it's good enough for a $400K supercar and race car, I don't see why it won't work in a GT500.

Everyone said the same thing about the 3.5L EB in F150s and it ended up taking half the sales right off the bat, so I don't think the lack of a V8 will be an issue for buyers.

Ford will one up the Dodge Hellcat, so either way it will be over 707HP. Don't know if a 3.5 V6 can make that kink of power yet. Unless its a hybrid setup, then that will be a game changer for the segment.

But i'm still betting on either a S/C 5.8 or EB 5.0, or an EB 4.0 V8.

Is it still a sure thing that the FPC in the 350 can't be given a supercharger or turbocharger treatment?

Ferrari has twin turbocharged their 3.9L FPC V8 for the 488, so it's possible. Not sure whether the larger displacement of the 5.2L makes it harder or not.

Ecoboost 5.2L FPC?

• Like 1

Somewhere there are pics of a Ford prototype 5.0L twin turbo in a 2014 Cobra Jet, that was thought to be the precursor to either the new Cobra Jet or GT500. Looked pretty cool with a one piece CF molded manifold from the twin intercoolers to the throttle body. I would think that with Shelby able to do 1000 RWHP out of a supercharged 5.4L that beating the Fiat Hell-kitty should be easy as pie. It will be very interesting to see what the aftermarket guys do with the 5.2L Voodoo and forced induction too.

Coyote is already plumbed for turbos AND DI which leads me to believe its inevitable, and was developed from the get go to be boosted...and why waste the $ on developing the 5.2 for similar treatment... an eco 5.0 will be MORE than adequate for a GT500 application.....and I personally think 700hp is awfully conservative and the wick could be easily turned up if necessary.....

Edited by Deanh

Have you heard the Ford GT in race trim? It sounds pretty awesome.

I really don't think it sounds that good in the various clips i have heard. It is loud that's for sure but it doesn't sound as good as a Ferrari or an Aston or even a Corvette.

I don't see an EB Coyote happening unless Ford builds a turbo in "V" setup. There's no room for turbos on the outside of the heads (and still meet emissions). I think the GT500 should stick with a supercharger setup.

It's already been done.....

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2015/06/hellion-twin-turbo-2015-mustang-hits-711-horsepower/#.VcvXNfl49KM

If that is like Hellion turbo kits I've seen on some cars, the turbos are way in back near the rear bumper.

Went and found the Twin Turbo Coyote in a Cobra Jet: http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-mustang-cobra-jet-concept-gets-twin-turbo-50l-v8-debuts-at-sema-show-282171.html

Edited by traxiii