Humvee replacement is Ford powered!!

Could Ford handle the capacity? It would be great for our business....but the competition will be tough with bidding!

New diesel engine coming. That is all I know.

I wonder if it is using a Ford transmission ?

Ford really needs a new global commercial diesel engine, and I expect they could sell a lot more diesels in NA if they had a better commercial diesel available in the Transit. I'm not really sold on the diesel as a big draw in the F150.

Ford really needs a new global commercial diesel engine, and I expect they could sell a lot more diesels in NA if they had a better commercial diesel available in the Transit. I'm not really sold on the diesel as a big draw in the F150.

Agreed, but if the diesel is available in the Transit, the cost to add it to F150 should be relatively minimal.

I think you guys are dreaming- wasn't the Ford biod tied to BAE? Oshkosh won not BAE.

I think you're right. According to Wikipedia, the engine that's going into the Oshkosh L-ATV:

Motive power for the JLTV variant of the L-ATV is provided by a digitally-controlled General Motors (GM) Duramax V8 cylinder 6.6-liter diesel engine of undisclosed power output, but estimated to be around 300 hp. In commercial use power output of this engine is currently up to 397 hp (296 kW) at 3000 rpm. An unspecified fully automatic Allison Transmission is fitted, this coupled to an Oshkosh transfer case. It is currently not known if this is a single-speed, or two-speed (high/low ratio) transfer case.

I think you're right. According to Wikipedia, the engine that's going into the Oshkosh L-ATV:

Motive power for the JLTV variant of the L-ATV is provided by a digitally-controlled General Motors (GM) Duramax V8 cylinder 6.6-liter diesel engine of undisclosed power output, but estimated to be around 300 hp. In commercial use power output of this engine is currently up to 397 hp (296 kW) at 3000 rpm. An unspecified fully automatic Allison Transmission is fitted, this coupled to an Oshkosh transfer case. It is currently not known if this is a single-speed, or two-speed (high/low ratio) transfer case.

thx for confirmation. I think the BAE bid was not helped by going with Ford power. Isn't the Duramax what is in the current Humvee? Same with the Allison- I have to believe there was a big comfort level with that power train. What is different about this new vehicle is its "survivability" I believe vs. Humvee. Not a power train issue.

In any case , good news for ISIS! After we supply the Iraq army with new stuff and they abandon it to ISIS, they won't have to figure out where the oil fill is!

Oshkosh did indeed win, and the JLTV has a Duramax/Allison powertrain. Sorry guys. I think the current Humvee is still powered by an updated version of the old G.M. 6.5L diesel, which AM General has been manufacturing themselves for a number of years.

Back when JLTV was restructured Ford tried to bring their own bid, but were too far behind the established teams and the DoD wasn't willing to wait. Then BAE picked the Scorpion for their bid for awhile, but they didnt make the Final Three and Lockheed bought BAE's production Texas production line and moved it to Arkansas to build their design. So Ford's not in JLTV at the moment.

However, the truck will likely be around awhile and Oshkosh, the DoD, or another customer might decide to give a Ford engine a look. Also, having lost this AM General is likely in trouble and might be an acquisition target if Ford wants to expand their Defense work.

Back when JLTV was restructured Ford tried to bring their own bid, but were too far behind the established teams and the DoD wasn't willing to wait. Then BAE picked the Scorpion for their bid for awhile, but they didnt make the Final Three and Lockheed bought BAE's Texas production line and moved it to Arkansas to build their design. So Ford's not in JLTV at the moment.

However, the truck will likely be around awhile and Oshkosh, the DoD, or another customer might decide to give a Ford engine a look. Also, having lost this AM General is likely in trouble and might be an acquisition target if Ford wants to expand their Defense work.

Edited by Moosetang