The new Bronco/Ranger/MAP thread

Some interesting comments on the Mid-sized pickup market sales this past month:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/09/best-selling-pickup-trucks-august-2015.html

Is RMC are you still tracking the GM Mid-sized twins? Last month the Tacoma alone doubled their total monthly sales.

I think I've missed the last two months. I didn't know anyone paid attention to those tallies.

Ford already makes a near Bronco ready platform

131_0611_02_z+2003_ford_f350_bobtail+pas

Tugtrucksuperduty.jpg

All they need is to throw together is the proper body and interior bits.

Of course this isn't what Ford is likely planning, but I would think it could theoretically work.

Too much rear overhang, kills departure angles ;)

And yes, I know that the Bronco, in the past, wasn't a desert runner. But whatever it was, it wasn't good enough at it to stay in production.

Uhm, this doesn't qualify a desert runner?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRqzAhTS_4

I suppose if you want to get technical, some consider a desert runner a 2WD pre-runner. Even then, they had Big Oly...

http://www.bajabronco.com/BigOly.shtml

and another Stroppe Bronco called Pony

http://www.bajabronco.com/Pony.shtml

I'm fine with whatever they do as long as it has a transfer case (preferrably manual) with a low range and 4 door option. Some type of rear locker would be nice too. Hard core off roaders may have less appeal to the masses but people keep buying wranglers. Even though most wranglers that are sold never see any significant type of off-road use, people buy them I think just for the "look". If Ford can give us a Bronco that has say 3/4's the off-road capability of a Wrangler in a bit more civilized package, they'll sell the snot out of them. That very type of vehicle is what we wanted when we bought our 2010 Escape for my wife. Being a Ford loyalist, I got the closest thing I could get at the time from a size standpoint that my wife liked.

Just to add food for thought here. It looks like Jeep is going to put a pickup body on the Wrangler chassis. It's something that Wrangler owners, including myself, have been clamoring over for years now.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-wrangler-pickup-to-be-built-in-toledo-cherokee-heading-out-89549.html

Yeah....because it worked so well last time....

jeep.jpg

jeep.jpg

So, using that logic, the Bronco (and to a lesser extent.. Ranger) should not be recreated as well? ;)

(Also, you can't hotlink images from Allpar, never understood why....they should just watermark their pictures, it's not like bandwidth is expensive these days)

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

Well lets see, the last time was the Scrambler and that was 30 years ago.

The current concept looks like this.

2015-Jeep-Gladiator-review.jpg

Also I think intrepidatious makes a good point. If reviving a concept didn't work than we would never have the S197 (2005 - 2014) Mustang. That worked pretty well I think.

Additionally I should point out that my intention was not to talk about the Wrangler truck specifically but instead to point out that here is yet another company that is going to get into the midsize truck market. A body on frame truck at that. A point that I think has relevance on this thread.

Edited by BlackHorse

Well since bronco died in 1977 i am eagerly awaiting its return..course it been only what like 5 years in the rumor ether...like to see a jeep FC again but id settle for a jeep truck..jeep not hurtin..they will be around...while we are at it i am encouraging volkswagon to bring back the 23 window bus..65 style would be great..need a new hippi bus

Well since bronco died in 1977 i am eagerly awaiting its return..course it been only what like 5 years in the rumor ether...like to see a jeep FC again but id settle for a jeep truck..jeep not hurtin..they will be around...while we are at it i am encouraging volkswagon to bring back the 23 window bus..65 style would be great..need a new hippi bus

Last year of the Bronco was 1996, or are you referring to the first gen?

Just to add food for thought here. It looks like Jeep is going to put a pickup body on the Wrangler chassis. It's something that Wrangler owners, including myself, have been clamoring over for years now.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-wrangler-pickup-to-be-built-in-toledo-cherokee-heading-out-89549.html

Now that Ford's volume product lines is rolled out, I think it's time for Ford to revisit some valuable niche products.

Sure BOF Jeep like SUVs and smaller BOF trucks may not be for everyone but I'm convinced that there's enough buyers

out there to support one plant with a few interesting variations. The economy is improving and a lot of buyers who sat on the fence

for the longest time may be now interested in the right types of vehicles...not exactly manual strippers but good basic equipmentt

that a few buyers would appreciate and support.

I think you know what I mean....

Edited by jpd80

What do people see about the Ranger though? Will she be the "Ranger", or "F-100" with a possible Ranger trimline?

Personally I think it would be great if they brought back some flare side styliing and called it the F100

Ranger name has far more equity. IMO, calling it F100 may confuse some buyers that it is a reskinned F150.

Ranger name has far more equity. IMO, calling it F100 may confuse some buyers that it is a reskinned F150.

2.2 diesel and 6-speed manual is a lovely drive, I got some seat time earlier this year in a crew cab base unit.

The ride is a transformation over earlier mazda units that tended to buck a little more on rougher roads.

J, I'm not against diesels, I simply think they are a better bet in trucks and utes where F/E is more appreciated.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

But unless it's the ROW Ranger (or a replacement for it that will be used globally) it shouldn't get that name. We don't need to go back to the fiefdom system where each region hast their own version of a product.

The only equity the Ranger name has in the US is for a cheap compact pickup. Unless the new Ford compact truck is as cheap as a Fiesta, I don't think it will do well. Jeep will offer the Wrangler with a pickup bed soon (Autoblog - Jeep Wrangler to remain in Toledo, get a pickup version). I think a Bronco pickup would have much higher ATP's than a Ranger.

Calling a different vehicle Ranger would be terrible.

Every once in a while someone from Europe comes to the fordfusionforum with a question about their European Ford Fusion:

See if you can spot the subtle differences with the European Fusion:

280px-Ford_Fusion_front_20080222.jpg

Oh wow, I had no clue there was a different vehicle named Fusion! Yikes!

The only compact truck that Ford could sell at a price that most former Ranger owners would be willing to spend would end up looking like this:

ford-bantam-03.jpg

IMO, anything more expensive then a Fiesta should not be called Ranger in the USA.

I would call that a Courier

• Like 3

The only equity the Ranger name has in the US is for a cheap compact pickup. Unless the new Ford compact truck is as cheap as a Fiesta, I don't think it will do well. Jeep will offer the Wrangler with a pickup bed soon (Autoblog - Jeep Wrangler to remain in Toledo, get a pickup version). I think a Bronco pickup would have much higher ATP's than a Ranger.

Some may view it like that. Similar to some seeing the Taurus as a bug - eyed fish faced car that was a mainstay or rental lots.

Buyers got over that and I'm sure they would welcome a new small truck with an ATP higher than the 1990s.