The new Bronco/Ranger/MAP thread

1) I could buy that, though I can also see the argument for a 2 door model (even if the take rate would be low).

2) My proposal was that this Bronco truck IS the rumored "Ranger." And that the Bronco will be the Troller replacement. Anything other than the ROW Ranger shoudn't be called Ranger.

3) I could buy that.

4) I can't see a sub Escape model being called Bronco. It's too small.

Another thought I had on #3 - the source mentioned 2 brands. What if instead of a Lincoln, the Bronco and next-gen Troller are one in the same and it was actually the Troller that they're going to export to South America?

I'm not arguing... just adding constructive comments (this will not be circular I promise :hi5: )

1. If there is a 2 door, Ford will have to really limit its availability. It will be extremely low volume. Not sure how you can justify the investment in tooling.

2. I don't see how Ford could afford two different BOF truck below F-150, one for US and one for the rest of the world. It goes opposite of what Ford has been trying to accomplish for the last few years streamlining products under a single unified global portfolio. If there is going to be a BOF truck in the US, it will be the rest of the world Ranger. Also, going smaller than T6 doesn't make any CAFE sense as I mentioned. Both Toyota and GM enlarged their rest of the world truck substantially in the US to gain footprint.

Regarding the two brands rumor... I would predict the return of Mazda Navajo before I sign on to there being a Lincoln BOF SUV in the mix... :) And yes, if Bronco production starts in the US, it makes sense that Troller will be made next to it.

Edited by bzcat

I'm not arguing... just adding constructive comments (this will not be circular I promise :hi5: )

1. If there is a 2 door, Ford will have to really limit its availability. It will be extremely low volume. Not sure how you can justify the investment in tooling.

2. I don't see how Ford could afford two different BOF truck below F-150, one for US and one for the rest of the world. It goes opposite of what Ford has been trying to accomplish for the last few years streamlining products under a single unified global portfolio. If there is going to be a BOF truck in the US, it will be the rest of the world Ranger. Also, going smaller than T6 doesn't make any CAFE sense as I mentioned. Both Toyota and GM enlarged their rest of the world truck substantially in the US to gain footprint.

Regarding the two brands rumor... I would predict the return of Mazda Navajo before I sign on to there being a Lincoln BOF SUV in the mix... :) And yes, if Bronco production starts in the US, it makes sense that Troller will be made next to it.

I could see them building the 2 door if they are in fact merging the bronco project with Troller. That way South America would cover a lot of the development expenses.

Now the real question is when will we see an SVT / Raptor version?!? :)

Eh, I doubt it. I don't think Ford is wanting to build a third brand basically from the ground up in North America. I think it would be rebadged instead.

No, his and my point was that they'd build a Troller there, as it would be identical to our Bronco. Not that the Troller would be sold here. So therefore you technically have 2 brands but the same product, and the Trollers would be exported to other parts of the world (not sold here in NA), while we're sold the (mostly) identical Ford-branded Bronco.

Edited by rmc523

No, his and my point was that they'd build a Troller there, as it would be identical to our Bronco. Not that the Troller would be sold here. So therefore you technically have 2 brands but the same product, and the Trollers would be exported to other parts of the world (not sold here in NA), while we're sold the (mostly) identical Ford-branded Bronco.

Ah ok. That wasn't really clear to me. That makes more sense

Trying valiantly to get this back on topic...just saw this

Jeep Wrangler to stay in Toledo, Cherokee leaving, Wrangler-based pickup coming

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150901/OEM01/150909993/jeep-wrangler-to-stay-in-toledo-cherokee-leaving-wrangler-based

I think their 350K number is pie in the sky for just the Wrangler and Pickup Wrangler alone....

Remember that Toledo is planned on being the sole global source for the Wrangler and its variants.

Some observations. If Ford wants a vehicle to compete in the space where the Wrangler is, a 2 door is necessary. That is where the bulk of sales seems to be. On the road I rarely see the 4 door Wrangler, but more than a few 2 doors. Also, I drive by a Chrysler/dodge/Ram/Jeep dealership (boy, that does not roll off the tongue nicely, keeps hanging up) nearly every day, and on their lot there are about six 2 door Wranglers for every 4 door Wrangler.

Some observations. If Ford wants a vehicle to compete in the space where the Wrangler is, a 2 door is necessary. That is where the bulk of sales seems to be. On the road I rarely see the 4 door Wrangler, but more than a few 2 doors. Also, I drive by a Chrysler/dodge/Ram/Jeep dealership (boy, that does not roll off the tongue nicely, keeps hanging up) nearly every day, and on their lot there are about six 2 door Wranglers for every 4 door Wrangler.

Last Stat I read was 70% 4 door in the Wrangler.

• Like 1

If Ford wants a vehicle to compete in the space where the Wrangler is, a 2 door is necessary. That is where the bulk of sales seems to be.

As J-150 points out that's no longer the case. I see way more new 4 doors than 2 doors. It might be more than 70% here in Atlanta.

Same thing happened with pickups. In 1970s/80s supercrews were virtually non-existent outside superduty type work trucks. Now they're way over half the market - probably closer to 70%.

A 2 door Bronco may not be necessary for the US market, but it would do well in Mexico, South America and other parts of the world. So if they can offer a 2 door Bronco here and still make money on it, I think they they should.

I think we still see a lot more 2 door Wranglers on the road since they've been selling them for decades vs just the last handful of years for the 4 door version.

That being said, Bronco has always been a 2 door, so I think there will at least be a 2 door version. Especially if Troller relation rumors are true. Coming out with a new 4 door-only Bronco would be akin to if Ford had released the 2004 mustang as a 4 door.

• Like 2