Cut the Bull

You mean to tell me more people come here than the same ten people that post day in and day out? I actually don't get any informative news here anymore that doesn't show up elsewhere first. It has for a long time just been the bitchfest club among the same members and it's really tired and quite boring.

• Like 2

I'll throw my hat in if another moderator /staff member is wanted.

I run a bunch of forums with over 100k users and believe it or not, the way this place is moderated tends to work best in my experience. Hands off until it is required. I don't see a massive breakdown at all.

However, there are a couple things I would recommend that has worked well for my forums.

1) Make the moderators stand out. Right now they look like all other users (with the exception of the small title under their name). While that is good so they look like they are on an even keel with others, other users don't know who to go to for assistance. Some simple styles (font color / weight) on their usernames goes a long way.

Done

2) Really push community moderation. Over on LXforums there are way too many posts each day to read by the mods...so we don't. We really push that users report posts that break the rules. It works great! This works well in smaller forums too.

3) As noted before, make the rules easy to access and most importantly, enforce them. It's nice to be a good guy, but after a few warnings sometimes you gotta take action. We use an expiring points system based on rules that are broken. When a user reaches X points, they get an XX day vacation.

We will invoke such a system here

4) Make the lurkers feel more welcome. This can be done a number of ways. Welcome them, of course...but there are also ways to make engagement more organic. Contests, polls and a social media presence all really help here (also willing to help there as that's what I do for a living!)

We should and will get this going too

Even though I run other (non-competing) forums, I find myself spending more time here than my "mothership" if you will. I just enjoy the conversation! I'd love to see this place grow and would be more than happy to be a part of that.

THANKS for the help and suggestions!

• Like 1

I have noticed a glitch from my end, if I click on someones comment to utilize theirs as a quote, the only thing that shows is my own comment....thus if I am answering someone, I have resorted to @ and then their name, ie @akirby......

I am and always have been a Ford driver. With that am always interested in whats happening with the company and use this forum as a source.

Although not a regular poster as I am not a techy or involved with the company like many on here obviously are, I often feel I will be humiliated when commenting because of my lack of industry depth so therefore refrain.

What I have seen is a lack of respect for others opinions. Posters called out most often because of disagreement. Its okay to disagree however do it with some respect for the others opinion. Example; If one feels another has not done their home work politely refer to the information source.

Just my thoughts.

Above all be respectful!

I feel exactly the same!! The last time I asked a question here I was made to seem ignorant by a particular poster so from now on I will just sit back and read! We have a bunch of savants on here that are no different than 8 year old girls in a school yard arguing over fake tattoos! Just my 5 cents!!!

I have noticed a glitch from my end, if I click on someones comment to utilize theirs as a quote, the only thing that shows is my own comment....thus if I am answering someone, I have resorted to @ and then their name, ie @akirby......

You're clicking on the posters comment ? try clicking quote or multi-quote.

My only glitch is I no longer seem to have the ability to upload a picture from my lap top.

I feel exactly the same!! The last time I asked a question here I was made to seem ignorant by a particular poster so from now on I will just sit back and read! We have a bunch of savants on here that are no different than 8 year old girls in a school yard arguing over fake tattoos! Just my 5 cents!!!

You mean the one where you wanted to call the NHTSA because your door handle broke at 43K miles?

Posted Today, 10:54 AM

boominup, on 02 Sept 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:snapback.png

You mean the one where you wanted to call the NHTSA because your door handle broke at 43K miles?

Why bring up??? Attempt at humiliation?

• Like 1

Posted Today, 10:54 AM

boominup, on 02 Sept 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:snapback.png

Why bring up??? Attempt at humiliation?

NO!! It was because there is no reason a door handle should end up in your hand and then a few weeks later, at any given moment, the chrome (plastic) peeled on the opposite door and drew blood on my wife's hand!!! And that is an on going problem with the Fusions, MXZs and Milans! The OEM handle I changed the first time on the driver's door is now starting to peel again!! Why bring it up??

• Like 1

I think the problem comes when one person on either side of the discussion responds to a point in a way that might piss off or rub the other person the wrong way. So, as a result, it comes to a point where someone has to "win" or the other person at least has to "pay for it" and be proven wrong. And that's were the arguments start to escalate.

I think it ends up fostering grudges.

• Like 1

NO!! It was because there is no reason a door handle should end up in your hand and then a few weeks later, at any given moment, the chrome (plastic) peeled on the opposite door and drew blood on my wife's hand!!! And that is an on going problem with the Fusions, MXZs and Milans! The OEM handle I changed the first time on the driver's door is now starting to peel again!! Why bring it up??

I was referring to Akirby response to you.

• Like 1

First off, people need to learn to take things less seriously...hey if your pissed about your door handle, there really isn't any recourse for it, outside of replacing it or not buying from that make again, which doesn't change anything either.

Bitching on a message board isn't going to fix anything (most of the time) because they just become an echo chamber of a few people reporting the same problem and it starts to annoys other users.

We've had plenty of people who have done that in the past (OTISFORDSUCKS) comes to mind that just wind up getting the banhammer after a while.

Keep in mind that this is a privately owned entity that has no or limited 1st amendment rights. You check off on a user agreement for the use of the board and abide by those rules...once those rules are broken or volated in some form, expect something to happen.

Keep this in mind...be nice to one another and when comes down to it, agree to disagree on the subject since your not going to change the other persons mind.

I was merely trying to clarify if that was the post he was referring to or if it was something else. Because I didn't see anything wrong with my response, which was this:

Seriously? The NHTSA? Replace the door handle and call it a day. Stuff happens and you're out of warranty.

If THAT offended you then I don't know what to tell you. NHTSA is not the place to report something like that and you didn't pay for warranty coverage beyond 36K miles. Just because it's a common problem that happened more than once doesn't mean it qualifies for a recall or extended warranty.

Perhaps you should have simply said "My door handle broke. Is there any way to get this covered out of warranty?" and the answer would have been "Nope. It costs $60 and only takes about 15 minutes to swap out".

So that's what, 3 or 4 posters now, that have pointed out that they feel there is a core clique here that has a tendency to gang up on people and / or run people off? I have to agree with that and it's a shame because that same core group of people in question are actually very, very knowledgeable about Ford and Ford products. They could be an immense help to this forum with that knowledge instead of taking the path of the "You don't know what you're talking about and I do so shut up!" approach that is all to common. Yea, that has a tendency to run people off and leaving the casual observer to think that there's only about 10 to 20 people that post here.

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 2

So that's what, 3 or 4 posters now, that have pointed out that they feel there is a core clique here that has a tendency to gang up on people and / or run people off? I have to agree with that and it's a shame because that same core group of people in question are actually very, very knowledgeable about Ford and Ford products. They could be an immense help to this forum with that knowledge instead of taking the path of the "You don't know what you're talking about and I do so shut up!" approach that is all to common.

Stop it right there. You are just as much to blame as anyone else. You instigate more arguments than anyone except Biker16. If you can't accept that and modify your behavior then you can take a vacation.

Stop it right there. You are just as much to blame as anyone else. You instigate more arguments than anyone except Biker16. If you can't accept that and modify your behavior then you can take a vacation.

I don't instigate arguments akirby and I'm not trying to now. I just said what I think and once again got jumped on. If you have numerous posters saying "hey there's a clique here" than lets address that so that we can encourage more posters to take part here. That is all that I'm trying to say.