F-150 Road Test-10 years Late!

Time for a testimonial!

Well I found a nice Land Pride Power Rake on E-bay that was located 500 plus miles away in PA . (Fordmantpw-you'd understand-would look very good in back of the Deere!). This thing weighs almost 1500 pounds and some of you may recall my rant when U-Haul refused to rent to me because the tow vehicle I wanted to use was the wife's 2010 Explorer-complete with factory tow package rated at 7300 lbs.

So I solved the problem by borrowing my son's 2005 F-150, 5.4 Crew Cab. He has owned it since new, 167,000 miles many of which were pulling a landscape trailer and or his boats-biggest a 22'Mako-not exactly light.

Long story short, this 1100 mile roundtrip was a piece of cake for the old girl- averaged a bit over 14 mpg over almost 1100 miles , towing the tandem 6 x 12 open top U-Haul (can't rent open tops one way-they are dealer owned so the story I was told), but at 84 bucks for two days, made a lot more sense then dragging my own heavy tandem skid steer trailer-figured I saved a lot in fuel alone given much lighter weight of the Uhaul.

The AC worked flawlessly and while some of those hills on I-84/80 had her out of OD often, if you had her up to about 2100 RPMs going into the hill,you might stand a chance it would hold before dropping out. In any case, got to thinking, as impressed as I was with this 10 year old truck's performance, I can't imagine what a new 150 with ANY of the new power trains would be like. This thing has a 3v 5.4, not sure of what the HP rating was in 05, but for what I was doing, it did a great job.

By the way, side note-those of you familiar with I-84, there is that big hill east of the Beacon bridge in NY. Not sure what the road is that crosses at the foot of the hill (NY 52?) but as I get close to the on ramp, a new Transit mid roof complete with ladder racks is about to merge. I'm about to move over to give him the lane and this guy takes off-not just into my lane but across three lanes and into the hammer lane and he is gone! Could not believe the acceleration of that thing-like I said-mid roof with at least one ladder on the rack. Not smart driving-but a very capable display of power. I also asked the guy at U-Haul if he had any in his fleet -he did -and his word was "awesome"!

• Like 5

Great review! I always liked the 5.4 in my '05. It was rated at 305/365 and I thought it towed like a dream with my 5000 lb travel trailer behind it.

And yes I understand the long travel for good used ag equipment. I almost made a trip to MIssissippi for a JD 2720 before I got my new one but the guy backed out on the sale. It's really hard to find good used equipment at a reasonable price. Is the rake painted green? :)

Edited by fordmantpw