Regular Car Reviews: 2000 P71 Crown Vic Police Interceptor

I wonder if we'll ever know when the last Crown Vic is taken out of law enforcement use.

Probably not, but they are taking them out here. They have a bunch of them that are being used as parts cars to keep those that are still in service running. Right now they are replacing them with the Explorer. They tried the Taurus but its just not been that popular with the Officers or the maintenance shop.

I wonder if we'll ever know when the last Crown Vic is taken out of law enforcement use.

We still have one left here (2011). Our fleet consist of that Crown Vic, 2x 2013 Taurus, a 2015 Taurus and 2x 2013 Tahoe (2WD & 4WD). The Crown Vic has been a POS in the last few months, with transmission and electrical issues. It is currently in the shop to get an exhaust manifold replaced.

The Taurus are pretty bullet proof save for the rear control arms bushings. One of them got a weird issue: if you turn on the wiper they'll never turn off again until you shut the car off.

Funny enough, the older Crown Vic has less mileage (around 115 000 kms) than the 2x 2013 Taurus (120 000 kms & 125 000 kms).

Edited by 92LX302

We still have one left here (2011). Our fleet consist of that Crown Vic, 2x 2013 Taurus, a 2015 Taurus and 2x 2013 Tahoe (2WD & 4WD). The Crown Vic has been a POS in the last few months, with transmission and electrical issues. It is currently in the shop to get an exhaust manifold replaced.

The Taurus are pretty bullet proof save for the rear control arms bushings. One of them got a weird issue: if you turn on the wiper they'll never turn off again until you shut the car off.

Funny enough, the older Crown Vic has less mileage (around 115 000 kms) than the 2x 2013 Taurus (120 000 kms & 125 000 kms).

I just noticed the oddity that you say "mileage" when you use metric, but then again I've never heard of "kilometerage"

And also, that's really low milea... um... whatever for a police car!

• Like 1

I'm kinda curious what "old" police cars are still out there. Any 9C1 Caprices still being used anywhere?

It will be a very long time before the last C/V is gone.

The last Diplomat and "box" Caprice I've seen used was late 2001, 9C1 Lumina as recent as 2013. Past year still see 00-05 Impala and a 96 Caprice as reserve cars in my area.