2016 Toyota Prius. They did it! They made it Uglier!

rmc523

Everyone should get used to the rear view as that will be the new look of the car in front of you going 15 miles per hour under the speed limit and catching every red light, making you late for work.

My experience has been that they pass you in the hammer lane doing 20 over; or hypermile entrance to interstate @ 45 and gradually increase the a nerve racking 53.6758889 mph

Sour grapes fellas. Kev Mo is right, the car will still sell in substantial numbers regardless of what we here think about how it looks. Let's be honest Ford has made some ugly stuff over the years too. Most recently the Flex comes to mind. The only difference is that Ford's ugly stuff doesn't sell and Toyota's does.

• Like 1

Unnecessary editorializing. Cool it.

Nah, they're just trolling us. They're playing a game to see how ugly they can make their cars and still lead in sales

I think their designers all graduated from the School of UGLY.

Now with 25% more points!

Is that really bad driving or just a product of how f*****g slow they typically go on the freeway?

My experience has been that they pass you in the hammer lane doing 20 over; or hypermile entrance to interstate @ 45 and gradually increase the a nerve racking 53.6758889 mph

lol Yeah, okay.

Here's the difference: YOUR comments were directed at other members of the board.

If you wish to continue participating in this forum, you would be well advised to respect the direction provided by moderators.

Yes I see. But it's okay to insult people who drive the Prius, people who design the Prius or people who like the Prius.

Nothing has changed, just as some of us knew that nothing would change. I even predicted we would be back to the same double standard within a week. I was right.

Frankly I don't care what you do Richard. Haven't cared for years now. The root word of the term moderator is moderate, which neither you nor any other "moderator" here has ever been and likely never will be. Do whatever you want.

Nah, they're just trolling us. They're playing a game to see how ugly they can make their cars and still lead in sales

Hey! You stole my theory I've had for years now! Haha. All the Japanese (minus Mazda) are playing that game!

Sour grapes fellas. Kev Mo is right, the car will still sell in substantial numbers regardless of what we here think about how it looks. Let's be honest Ford has made some ugly stuff over the years too. Most recently the Flex comes to mind. The only difference is that Ford's ugly stuff doesn't sell and Toyota's does.

Flex at least has some people (like me) that like it. I've seen nothing but negative comments about the Prius since its unveiling.

Hey....I kinda like the Flex....

2015-ford-flex.png

Me too! (Check signature haha):

F832B48C-9A00-4C70-8C4D-1D54445D0485_zps

23A41B6D-2A92-46B2-BE77-44F6304E2D24_zps

• Like 2

Yes I see. But it's okay to insult people who drive the Prius, people who design the Prius or people who like the Prius.

Nothing has changed, just as some of us knew that nothing would change. I even predicted we would be back to the same double standard within a week. I was right.

Frankly I don't care what you do Richard. Haven't cared for years now. The root word of the term moderator is moderate, which neither you nor any other "moderator" here has ever been and likely never will be. Do whatever you want.

Are you really offended that several of us have made general comments about its ugliness or Prius drivers? I mean really, who is insulted by what has been said? General comments about its ugliness could (and has been if you check the Autoblog comments) be said by anyone, and let's face it, the Japanese brands - especially Toyota and Nissan - have been making their vehicles stranger, more bizarre, and uglier with each redesign. Are there people out there that like them? Sure! Are there people out there that think they're hideous? Yes, and many of us here fall in that category.

As for the Prius driver comments - most of what I saw above were observations of Prius drivers. I can't tell you how many times traffic is backed up on whatever road, and you finally get around it to see a Prius (or more often a Camry) holding up traffic because they're poking along well under the speed limit. Or I've seen plenty of Priuses (Priii?) doing exactly both situations of what 351cid described - some flying by in the HOV lane well over the limit, and some well under. What is so insulting about that? I just don't understand?

Are you saying that in the sense that we're making these comments because we're jealous of Toyota? Ha! I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not jealous of them at all. If anything, more like perplexed at how they do it. My personal opinion is that most people don't buy a Toyota for looks, they buy it for the badge and reputation. They don't care about looks. I think that goes even more so for the Prius - they buy it because it's a Prius, certainly not because of how it looks. Heck, Toyota could've probably released the Aztek and found buyers for it on name alone lol.

Does every manufacturer release an ugly vehicle from time to time? Sure! But it seems like the Japanese are making a habit out of it lately.

• Like 2

Just as negatards gonna negatate, moderators gonna moderate...

FWIW, it does seem as though discussion has picked up in the last week or so. I have seen several attempts from the moderators to reign things in, on the exact posts that I thought needed it. Personally, I think you guys are doing a great job. Thanks for what you do to keep the site going.

Back to the topic, yes, the Prius is uglier than ever, assured of increasing sales as more people aim to be seen driving it.

• Like 1

Just as negatards gonna negatate, moderators gonna moderate...

FWIW, it does seem as though discussion has picked up in the last week or so. I have seen several attempts from the moderators to reign things in, on the exact posts that I thought needed it. Personally, I think you guys are doing a great job. Thanks for what you do to keep the site going.

Back to the topic, yes, the Prius is uglier than ever, assured of increasing sales as more people aim to be seen driving it.

Yeah, it's nice to come and see several new posts every time you check.

• Like 2

I rented a Prius earlier this year. The technology was impressive, but the experience driving it was not at all. It sounded like a tin can when closing the door. I was bathed in road and wind noise when driving on a smooth interstate. And it had the acceleration of a diesel Chevrolet Chevette.

If you were blindfolded (and old enough to remember what they were like), I can't help but think you'd believe you stepped back in time and were riding in an '80s econobox.

Aside from the "look at me" factor and the decent MPG, does anyone sincerely like driving/riding in a Prius?

I once called the Yaris a P.O.S. based on the way it drove. The Prius is only different in that it's slightly larger. Maybe I'm just old, but I know life is too short to live with a Prius.

Edited by RangerM